Author Topic: Earth Alliance Comments Thread  (Read 17683 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Earth Alliance Comments Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
Maybe its time to add repair-only shipyards :)

How would these work? Uses less workers per-ton but cannot build ships? Would it need to be retooled or can it just repair anything? Would the commercial-military distinction still exist?

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »
Are you channelling President Clark or General Lefcourt?   ;)

Offline greatmustachio

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
In before a "We took care of the Abbai, we can handle the Minbari" situation.

The following users thanked this post: Vasious

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2020, 09:52:40 AM »
About that ...

Have you considered a task for shipyards where they 'blank the slate' (not 100% sure it is proper wording in English, sorry!), like if they never built a ship? That would obviously be costly, but that would put them in a ready mode for the future.

The following users thanked this post: DavidFRS

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
Steve, how long would it take EarthGov to build a repair ship with commercial hangers large enough to hold an Omega, so that you can repair the armor?  Would it be quicker than waiting for the slipways to get free?

Also it'd be nice to have one anyway, it could be part of a forward base "station" when matched with a maintenance module ship so you don't have to send everything back to Earth.

Yes, I thought of that too :)

The problem is I don't have commercial hangar tech and my two priorities at the moment are the salvage module (so I can salvage all the Centauri wrecks) and research rate 280. I'm also crippled by having a terrible logistics scientist, so I am using a 20% defence scientist for the salvage module. The lack of repair facilities is a real problem though. Maybe its time to add repair-only shipyards :)

On the one hand it seems reasonable to allow a shipyard to partially repair armour by welding big plates of metal over the holes while the ship is floating around nearby in space, on the other hand you don't want to make things too easy.

Rather than adding a separate building you could make it a new task for a naval shipyard, I don't think commercial shipyards should be considered.

I think it should be limited to fixing 50% (maybe) of the total depth of the armour (rounding up), cost twice as much as normal and take twice as long as normal.
If the shipyard is busy with another job (ie no free slipways) then double the time required for the repair.
If the ship is larger than the shipyard slipways increase the time required by a factor (Ship Size / Shipyard Slipway Size), otherwise this factor can remain at 1.
Maybe there should be separate rules for commercial ships and stations but I've run out of tea good ideas.

The following users thanked this post: DavidFRS

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »

How would these work? Uses less workers per-ton but cannot build ships? Would it need to be retooled or can it just repair anything? Would the commercial-military distinction still exist?

Can not a shipyard repair anything that will fit into them without retooling; so long as it is the correct type, commercial or military and has a free slipway?

So it would be a question of are they cheaper or can they just repair anthing that will fit regardless of commercial-military

One could call them Dry-Docks.

Online Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2020, 01:39:41 AM »

Can not a shipyard repair anything that will fit into them without retooling; so long as it is the correct type, commercial or military and has a free slipway?

They do. Military both commercial and naval while commercial does the commercial only.

However, I did report it as a bug considering that you should retool for everything. -suggestion

You can even repair ships of higher tonnage!!!! -bug

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2020, 02:59:53 AM »
Military shipyards should be able to repair anything of the same size or lower. Commercial should be able to repair any commercial ship of same size or lower. There is a bug at the moment allowing you to repair military in commercial, but I am not taking advantage of the bug.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 06:46:21 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Online Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2020, 03:59:45 AM »
Military shipyards should be able to repair anything of the same size or power. Commercial should be able to repair any commercial ship of same size or lower. There is a bug at the moment allowing you to repair military in commercial, but I am not taking advantage of the bug.

Thanks Steve, maybe this got un noticed http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11945.msg144180#msg144180
I have some ships to repair in my current campaign but I am away, will be happy to retest it, I may be mistaken.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2020, 11:48:33 PM »
Military shipyards should be able to repair anything of the same size or power. Commercial should be able to repair any commercial ship of same size or lower. There is a bug at the moment allowing you to repair military in commercial, but I am not taking advantage of the bug.

Thanks Steve, maybe this got un noticed http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11945.msg144180#msg144180
I have some ships to repair in my current campaign but I am away, will be happy to retest it, I may be mistaken.

I've been using 1,000-ton shipyards to repair 16,000-ton cruisers...I'd assumed it was WAI but it did seem odd to me, I just didn't feel like complaining at the time.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
I must say, this game is far more hectic then anything I've played - multiple homeworlds all within a handful of jumps from Sol!

It's a good thing that Earthforce's navy started out oversized and well-equipped, compared to a more traditional start - they've been able to leverage their huge warships with devastating effectiveness, without taking (I'm pretty certain) a single loss.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
I must say, this game is far more hectic then anything I've played - multiple homeworlds all within a handful of jumps from Sol!

It's a good thing that Earthforce's navy started out oversized and well-equipped, compared to a more traditional start - they've been able to leverage their huge warships with devastating effectiveness, without taking (I'm pretty certain) a single loss.

Far more hectic than anything I've played either :)

And I agree I picked a good time for an oversize starting force. A lot of damage yes, but only losses so far have been fighters, shuttles and a survey ship.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »

Far more hectic than anything I've played either :)

And I agree I picked a good time for an oversize starting force. A lot of damage yes, but only losses so far have been fighters, shuttles and a survey ship.

Something I hadn't really registered until reading this playthrough is the way giant ships reduce the effectiveness of focus fire.

1 ship that is the equivalent of 4 smaller ships means that the best focus fire the enemy can do is effectively the same as if they had spread out their weapons across four ships. They end up needing to accumulate a lot more damage before combat effectiveness is impaired (and this doesn't get into the large ship's higher armor efficiency).

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2021, 01:54:26 AM »
We've now had two alien species that ran their forces piecemeal into the human fleet. In the case of the Abbai, they probably wouldn't have had a chance anyway if they had doomstacked, but that would have been the logical action as the human fleet advanced on their homeworld.

Funny enough, it would have turned into Babylon 5's Battle of the Line... only with less mercy from the aggressors.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2021, 02:13:45 AM »
We've now had two alien species that ran their forces piecemeal into the human fleet. In the case of the Abbai, they probably wouldn't have had a chance anyway if they had doomstacked, but that would have been the logical action as the human fleet advanced on their homeworld.

Funny enough, it would have turned into Babylon 5's Battle of the Line... only with less mercy from the aggressors.

I need to take a look at the AI when I have some serious time on hand to avoid that situation in future.

The following users thanked this post: Warer