Author Topic: Ground unit upgrade  (Read 2004 times)

Offline brondi00 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
Ground unit upgrade
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
I like to think I'm not stupid but for the purpose of answering this question assume I am a complete blithering idiot.

How do I upgrade ground units.  Let's say I made an infantry corps at the start of the game based on 3 infantry divisions, of 3 infantry regiments, of 3 infantry battalions.

And now I have better weapon and armor tech.  How can I upgrade the existing units without deleting all the old formations (and their custom names I made) and building all new ones and reorganizing them from scratch???

It seems like unit series should accomplish this but I can't seem to make it work. 

So far I actually manually delete everything one by one (because for some reason you can't delete an entire formation tree at once) and rebuild the entire formation with new stuff one by one and then rename everything one by one.

This is obviously very lame and makes me not want to use ground units at all.  Something that was really exciting to me months ago is now easily the worst part of the game hands down.

Someone please help.  Walk me through like I am a complete idiot.

Thank you I'm advance.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Ground unit upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
Auto replacement does what you want - kind of.

If you have your unit series set up all you need to do is set up the replacement formation with the relevant units and it will work. However, the hint is in the name - this is not auto-upgrade but is auto replace, this means that your formations will automatically get the new upgraded units, but only when they start to take casualties. The idea being that the old stuff eventually dies and the new ones take it's place.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Ground unit upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:56:43 AM »
Just build new units to defend your capital, then ship the old units off to some low-value colony worlds (or to an invasion force).