Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 93174 times)

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »
Fleet history is greatly slowing down the save speed of my 100+ year game. For the first time since reinstalling 1.13 from scratch, I opened up the database in an SQL editor and deleted all but the most recent fleet history, which amounted to around 240,000 entries. There were also an inordinate number of GameLog messages about NPR fleets running out of fuel.

Once I deleted all log entries of those two types, saving my game went from 13 seconds before, to just 6 seconds after cleaning the database. (On an SSD, with a top-tier CPU)

I would recommend wiping Fleet History for civilian shipping lines after some number of years (10? 20?) and same with NPRs. Player naval fleet histories should be kept forever.

I'm attaching my unedited AuroraDB.db file that I backed up right before I made the above changes, just in case Steve wants to investigate 1) The reported issue above regarding "Saving" slowdown due to Fleet History and Game Log record spam; and 2) The more general issue of late-game turn generation slowdown.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:46:42 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
No I researched all the previous power plants but didn't work out that Inertial confinement fusion Drive  followed Magneto-plasma Drive Technology, It cost less so I thought it must precede it - wrong!

Perhaps you are confusing "Inertial" with "Internal"?

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive Technology costs 40k.
Inertial Confinement Fusion Drive Technology costs 150k.

I do wish one of these technologies would get renamed. They're so hard to distinguish in-game, and easy to get confused by :)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2021, 02:12:57 PM »
No I researched all the previous power plants but didn't work out that Inertial confinement fusion Drive  followed Magneto-plasma Drive Technology, It cost less so I thought it must precede it - wrong!

Guilty as charged! I was confusing power plant techs with engine techs, sorry!

IanD

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

I do wish one of these technologies would get renamed. They're so hard to distinguish in-game, and easy to get confused by :)

"Internal" really should be something like "Electrostatic" to imply the sort of confinement devices that basically preceded the tokamak. Not quite accurate but closer and less confusing.

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline Exultant

• Petty Officer
  • E
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2021, 09:37:31 PM »
The function number: 3 numbers, forgot 2 of them (didn't write them down like an idiot) but one of them was 222
The complete error Object reference not set to an instance of an object was one of them
The window affected main screen
What you were doing at the time System exploration spawning an NPR
Conventional or TN start TN
Random or Real Stars Real
Is your decimal separator a comma? No. US Layout
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? Not sure if this is a database corruption issue - if it's reproducible it will be if I get another NPR spawn - I may have just been unlucky
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well 81 years into a game.

This is the same game as my post 5 days ago when I had other errors. On system exploration, an NPR spawned and I had a sequence of errors that I had to hold the enter key down for ~20 seconds before they stopped occurring. My system survey craft did not detect any ships, and it was able to explore the system unmolested save for the massive EM and TH sig from 86 Ophiuchi-A III

Despite attempting communications, I never got a roll for deciphering their language - I had ships in orbit over their homeworld collecting IP. I ended up invading, and found that they had no ground forces at all. 8 hour increments were not causing ground combat to occur, so after 4 of them I hit "5 days" and the population was conquered. The NPR has 6b pop and no installations, no ground forces and no ships.

DB attached should be a save from just before sending my troop transports through the JP from Pi-3 Orionis to 86 Ophiuchi to conquer the pop.

After finishing grav survey, the system is a dead-end. Not at all sure if this info is related, because errors occurred on system generation, and this is the first time I've ever encountered an NPR homeworld in VB6 or C# with one JP.

Offline Exultant

• Petty Officer
  • E
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2021, 11:40:37 PM »
Addon to my last bug report - I sat for an hour exploring the same  JP over and over to spawn a new NPR  to see if I could replicate the error and I could not. I've attached the DB with this NPR in it, perhaps the contrast between the failed NPR spawn and this one might help?

New NPR spawned in 83 Ophiuchi.

Edit: Went hostile, and my fleet is sitting 80kkm out from their homeworld systematically destroying millions of tons of shipping without them ever firing a shot back at me
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:36:07 AM by Exultant »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2021, 05:40:06 AM »
There is no event log message when your Xenosurvey Crew unearths special fun things. They just appear and start shooting. It would be nice if there were a short, flavor game log message describing what happened.

C# doesn't have anything that appears from ruins and starts shooting.

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2021, 06:12:51 AM »
If you delete or otherwise lose the population that houses your main naval admin command, it is impossible to relocate your naval admin command, even if you have another planet with the appropriate building. Since no systems are in range of the old HQ (which now has no location at all), and it cannot be deleted or somehow reset, it is impossible to do anything involving fleets anymore. Even creating fleets throws up an error (since it doesn't know where to create them):

Code: [Select]
1.13.0 function #930: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
The situation in which this occurred is the following: I created a game as normal, then generated a new system by jumping through a jump point. I added a colony there, set that up with stuff similar to my starting colony on Earth, then deleted the Sol system. I recreated it by generating a new race (which did work normally) and deleting their population. I also recreated it by generating a new race and deleting their entire homeworld. In all cases, it is impossible to move the naval admin command.

SJW: Deleting a population that contains the top-level admin command will now result in that admin command moving to a new population. A naval HQ will be created if no pops with existing HQs are available.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:49:07 AM by Steve Walmsley »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2021, 08:07:23 AM »
I got two or three #2939 errors while processing the turn (I was expecting a new system to be jumped into and generated), and then the game froze for 10 minutes. I don't think it's going to recover, so I had to force-close it and resume from my last save a few minutes prior.

What was the text of the errors?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
The function number; 1.13.0
The complete error text; n/a
The window affected; various
What you were doing at the time; scrapping ships, exploring, systems missing comets,
Conventional or TN start
Random or Real Stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?  decimal separator
Is the bug is easy to reproduce; intermittent or a one-off? scrapping easy, missing comets intermittent, few warp points?
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well; 43 years

Potential bug 1: After you mark a ship design as obsolete those ships of that design no longer show up in shipyard lists for scrapping. Un-obsolete  them and they show up.

Potential bug 2; I set minimum number of comets per system as 10. However a number of systems appear cometless. This may be working as intended.

Potential bug 3; In setup I changed local system generation spread from 15 to 7 or 8 (tried both). I found that warp points were very sparse. that 7 local system generation spread game ran out of warp points at 15-20 systems (game deleted). The 8 local system generation spread found a maximum of 2 systems with 3 warp points the rest had 1 or 2 warp points for a total of 23 systems. With only 1 unexplored warp point left I changed local system generation spread to 15. I now have 55 systems explored with 10 systems having more than 2 warp points plus 6 systems not yet fully explored. However this may be working as intended.

I can't reproduce #1 as obsolete ships show up for scrapping in my test game.

#2 is now fixed.

For #3, the local system generation chance is not connected to jump point generation. it is only used to determine the system to which you connect. Jump points are generated during system generation. Its sounds like you were just unlucky with the RNG.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
Fleet history is greatly slowing down the save speed of my 100+ year game. For the first time since reinstalling 1.13 from scratch, I opened up the database in an SQL editor and deleted all but the most recent fleet history, which amounted to around 240,000 entries. There were also an inordinate number of GameLog messages about NPR fleets running out of fuel.

Once I deleted all log entries of those two types, saving my game went from 13 seconds before, to just 6 seconds after cleaning the database. (On an SSD, with a top-tier CPU)

I would recommend wiping Fleet History for civilian shipping lines after some number of years (10? 20?) and same with NPRs. Player naval fleet histories should be kept forever.

These are suggestions rather than bugs, so in future would be better in the Suggestions thread. However, I've added some code to only retain five years of fleet histories for NPRs and shipping lines. I've also stopped NPRs generating the fuel event messages, although they will still act on them.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
Potential bug 3; This error then has been present since VB6! When I first noticed it, but appears to have become worse.

This isn't a bug. You were just unlucky on jump points.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »
I created 4 NPR's via the race creation button on the System Generation and Display screen I did manually adjust all 4 races to be human but then clicked create as NPR. None of these 4 races has created any ground forces at game start this seems likely to be a bug

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »
The button to turn on Active Sensors at the bottom of the Naval Organization window only appears when you select individual ships. There doesn't seem to be any "single click" button to turn on active sensors for the entire fleet, like there was in VB6. Instead, right now the workaround is to use movement orders (and juggle waypoints/point of interest) to turn on or off the entire fleet's active sensors.

This is a suggestion rather than a bug. In future, please post in suggestion thread.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »

Guilty as charged! I was confusing power plant techs with engine techs, sorry!

I've modified the naming to avoid any similar confusion in future
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg151032#msg151032