Author Topic: Minor Problem (13)  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Minor Problem (13)
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »
I guess all I can say is Oops!

I keep my "current events" writing all in the same file, on a thumb drive, so that I can write where ever I happen to be at the time that the urge catches me.  This has worked well, right up to yesterday, when the essential evilness of windows and my own stupidity caught me.  

Through a complicated chain of events that involved both of the factors mentioned above, Word not only didn't save the stuff I had just added to the file, but between Word, Windows, and my panicked response, we managed to delete both the actual file on the thumb drive and the temp file on the hard drive.  

This file contained the finished writeup for 2022-2023, and the events for 2025 up to september, where I had nearly finished writing up the run-up to mankind's first interstellar war.  

I have almost given up trying to recover the file itself, and my next step is to check the various computers I use to see if I can find a temporary version with some or most of what I lost.  

I'm just warning you that at this point I have no real way to recover what I lost, and as a result you may see something like - "A lot of stuff happened, and that led up to this nifty battle...".

Kurt

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
Re: Minor Problem (13)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
"Smeg!", as Lister would say.
When I saw the title I was half expecting another database crash or a terminal bug that had done for the campaign.  Phew!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
Double-check for a backup file. Usually starts with a ~ and truncates the file name. It will also be hidden. Word may also attempt to auto-recover the file.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Double-check for a backup file. Usually starts with a ~ and truncates the file name. It will also be hidden. Word may also attempt to auto-recover the file.

I found it!

Word deleted the original file, and the backup, unfortunately.  I decided to look around to see if there were any copies I saved elsewhere, or anything else, and I found a file named "recovered-file.txt" in the root of my C drive.  When I checked it out I found that it was a text file of the doc file that had been lost.  Yea!

I'm very happy now that I don't have to recreate three and a half years of events!

Kurt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
Kurt,
Great news!  i look forward to reading the next instalment  :D
Yours and Steve's campaigns are always extremely interesting to read; shame I can't use Aurora at the moment, but that's another story.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke