Author Topic: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 66452 times)

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 27, 2023, 01:35:13 PM »
1) Any race in any game has access to templates created by any other race in any game, as long as they share the same database.
2) I considered CSV, but its very complex to do the templates and there is a lot of scope for problems when transferring between databases, especially if they are different versions. By maintaining everything in the DB, it is a lot easier to prevent bugs.
3) Maybe at some point in the future. For now, I want to see how this works in the wild and then I will look at options for generating research projects for anything not available.

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification  :)

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #481 on: October 27, 2023, 01:37:22 PM »
I assume not, but if a ship class included ground forces (as made possible in v2.2), would those also be researched with the template, or is that a whole separate kettle of fish? The template feature seems to be focused on the *components* of a ship, but once can hope!

Online Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #482 on: October 31, 2023, 03:57:08 AM »
Hi Steve, quick question, often in the earliest stages of the game I find random precursors on a planet and then It starts an infinite exchange of missles between my ships and theirs. Do they have an infinite amount of rockets on the planet or is it a definite amount and at some point they will run out of them?

Also, after successful invading them, I find the missle stockpile but for some reason I cannot use it (scrap, load them in my ships or whatever), did you manage to solve this? IMHO it is a nice gameplay feature.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #483 on: October 31, 2023, 04:53:03 AM »
Hi Steve, quick question, often in the earliest stages of the game I find random precursors on a planet and then It starts an infinite exchange of missles between my ships and theirs. Do they have an infinite amount of rockets on the planet or is it a definite amount and at some point they will run out of them?

Also, after successful invading them, I find the missle stockpile but for some reason I cannot use it (scrap, load them in my ships or whatever), did you manage to solve this? IMHO it is a nice gameplay feature.

They have a large but finite store of missiles. They are supposed to vanish when you conquer the planet for balance reasons.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Online Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #484 on: October 31, 2023, 07:31:46 AM »

They have a large but finite store of missiles. They are supposed to vanish when you conquer the planet for balance reasons.

Would you consider changing it in the sense that once you conquer the planet the stockpile remains but the number is randomly decreased to simulate the partial destruction of weapon deposits during the fight.

For example, from a stock of 2578 it decreases to 1000 and something, It would be more realistic in my opinion.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2023, 09:45:59 AM »
IIRC spoiler weapons are not using cheat tech, just tech at levels you are not likely to have by the time they show up.

Being unable to use missiles/guns you did not build as weapons but having them available for reverse engineering so you can see how they were designed and/or advance your tech seems reasonable.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #486 on: October 31, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »

Would you consider changing it in the sense that once you conquer the planet the stockpile remains but the number is randomly decreased to simulate the partial destruction of weapon deposits during the fight.

For example, from a stock of 2578 it decreases to 1000 and something, It would be more realistic in my opinion.

They do use the missiles and the stockpile depletes normally.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2023, 11:00:20 AM »
IIRC spoiler weapons are not using cheat tech, just tech at levels you are not likely to have by the time they show up.

Being unable to use missiles/guns you did not build as weapons but having them available for reverse engineering so you can see how they were designed and/or advance your tech seems reasonable.

It used to work that way in previous versions, but allowed players to progress too quickly. The self-destruction of the Precursor missiles is a mechanics to allow them enough missiles for a sustained defence without allowing players to immediately advance to the same tech level when capturing an outpost.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2023, 05:53:59 PM »

Seems to me Kaiser just encountered a bug

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2023, 05:09:29 PM »

Given what Steve's saying, it actually seems like the exact opposite would be the way to go - make it so that you can throw the weapons and/or missiles on your ship - but for some handwavy reason you can't disassemble them.

That could be pretty neat - I'd like the idea of having a couple of bespoke ships using limited, irreplaceable, alien tech. There's a fair number of books and anime that use that idea.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #490 on: November 01, 2023, 06:45:56 PM »
Both used to be possible and it usually meant a significant tech leap but also, if you used the missiles, it trivialized the industrial dilemma of supplying sufficient missiles for your ships, as the stockpiles generally were huge. Yes, 'realism'-wise it's an unfortunate change but for gameplay reasons, it works.

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #491 on: November 01, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »
I mean, also, if I were the precursors and had identified and then been overwhelmed by what I percieved to be a threat, rendering my stockpile of weapons useless (destroying them) before the enemy could capture them would make sense. Some sort of Dead Man's Switch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:40:12 PM by lumporr »

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2023, 01:56:12 AM »
I mean, also, if I were the precursors and had identified and then been overwhelmed by what I percieved to be a threat, rendering my stockpile of weapons useless (destroying them) before the enemy could capture them would make sense. Some sort of Dead Man's Switch.

Which get me thinking. Who else thinks it would be cool if upon capturing a precursors outpost, all remaining ordinance detonated and applied the correct amount of radiation to the planet. Would not damage any existing structures/infrastructure or effect and of the players ground forces, but  would poison the planet for a least a little while after taking it and as you say, make sense with the destruction of any remaining stockpiles.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #493 on: November 02, 2023, 06:55:41 AM »
Maybe a roll between how much is scrapped (the self destruct system failing but still ruining the missile) and how much detonates?

And it'd be at least nice to know the design.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #494 on: November 02, 2023, 01:56:17 PM »
Could also just have the munition destruction protocol not completely succeed because its thousands of years old (or however long I dont remember the lore), hence you get some missiles but not the whole intact stockpile.