Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 28644 times)

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2023, 08:09:25 AM »
Add an "auto-organize" button to the galactic map screen, which automatically sorts systems so we don't have to manually re-arrange the galactic map once it starts getting large

Happy to implement if you can supply the logic :)

You could check out the code for one of the algorithms listed here: https://graphviz.org/docs/layouts/

Assuming you can't just use this library as-is, I totally understand not wanting to spend your time digging through their code and reimplementing it -- I'm sure you have more interesting things to work on. But at the very least improving the grid snapping algorithm (currently it often doesn't snap to the nearest grid point, it might be rounding down?) and letting people adjust parameters like the minimum grid spacing and default placement distance would I think go a long way towards making the inevitable map rearrangements less painful.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »
Add an "auto-organize" button to the galactic map screen, which automatically sorts systems so we don't have to manually re-arrange the galactic map once it starts getting large

Maybe it can be done semi-automated. I was thinking of the TikZ module in LaTeX to create mind maps. Start with a starting system like Sol in the center and create each system around it with the first directly north and every following one 360/x degrees further clockwise with x being the number of explored JPs. You do the same for the next set of JPs that originate from the daughter systems with the single difference that the parent system is the new starting point from which systems get placed.
The connections between later generations of stars have to be significantly shorter than those for earlier generations, but they have to be long compared to the star system symbols. This way you can ensure that there will never be an overlap between systems.
You can use zoom on the star map after all and you have no size limitations like you have on paper.

The above solution might work for the first 3-4 connections, assuming no loops, but when you get to 10+ jump chains and hundreds of systems, you quickly run out of space. How do you handle situations where there are not enough surrounding 'locations' for the systems (mainly due to the presence of other nearby un-connected systems) and how do you handle loops, especially nested loops?

The star map doesn't zoom BTW

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »

You could check out the code for one of the algorithms listed here: https://graphviz.org/docs/layouts/

Assuming you can't just use this library as-is, I totally understand not wanting to spend your time digging through their code and reimplementing it -- I'm sure you have more interesting things to work on. But at the very least improving the grid snapping algorithm (currently it often doesn't snap to the nearest grid point, it might be rounding down?) and letting people adjust parameters like the minimum grid spacing and default placement distance would I think go a long way towards making the inevitable map rearrangements less painful.

I had a quick look, but they are either designed for hierarchies (which this isn't), circular plots (again, not the same), handle less complex situations, or they simply draw lines to different nodes regardless of how many other lines they cross. None of those is suitable for Aurora.

This is one of those situations in which humans are generally better than computers, especially as each player will have his own view on an acceptable layout.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
This is one of those situations in which humans are generally better than computers, especially as each player will have his own view on an acceptable layout.

This is especially true because a computer, at least in Aurora, cannot understand which topographical features are "important". I arrange my galactic maps not only to untangle the loops but also to emphasize or focus on the most important features as the map evolves, which a computer cannot understand unless Steve spends so much time programming this that the game remains in 2.5.0 for a decade.

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2023, 09:51:21 AM »
We can double click on commanders in ship view and also fleet view and this opens commanders window with that commander pre-selected. Very useful to quickly find more details about the commander. However there are some places where the same behaviour does not work (double clicking on commander does nothing):
  • Admin commander in Naval Organisation window
  • Planet governor in Economics window
  • Sector governor in Economics window
Would it be possible to add similar behaviour there?  :)

The following users thanked this post: Hari

Offline Doc

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2023, 10:05:32 AM »
When constructing fighters, it would be helpful if the fleet selection dropdown didn't include all the civilian fleets, since we never build any fighters for those anyway.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2023, 11:32:32 AM »
I add fighters to numerous civilain fleets as I stick a commercial hanger on most commercial ships and then a pair of fighters so a convoy stands a chance of killing a raider

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2023, 11:54:18 AM »
I add fighters to numerous civilain fleets as I stick a commercial hanger on most commercial ships and then a pair of fighters so a convoy stands a chance of killing a raider

I think here, "civilian" refers to civilian shipping lines, which the player cannot really interact with or control.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2023, 07:06:10 PM »
I'd find it useful to be able to make the mineral search window sort by accessibility instead of by deposit volume.

You can approximate the effect by fiddling with the accessibility threshold, but sometimes finding the easiest deposits really is the priority.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2023, 10:41:50 PM »
A few commander suggestions that has been previous suggested in the past:

• Ground Force Admin Commands as beyond the Division level, it's impractical to create HQ units and the user may want to spread the Corps or Army Group between multiple bodies in the same system.
  • Ability to retrain officers from Fleet/Army/Admin/Science to another type of officer, Mostly for Roleplay or to quickly increase officer numbers in one category. i.e. your overmanned on Administrators but have a pressing need for ground force commanders or your ground forces are small and you need to find a propulsion MacGyver among your grunts.
  • Ability to designate a Fleet/Ground positions ± 1 rank for assignment would be a welcomed addition.
  • Reintroduction of Staff Officers for admin commands
  • System Governor as another Admin level between sector and planet.
  • Return of Tour lengths for automated assignments.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2023, 11:25:13 PM »
Reintroduction of Staff Officers for admin commands

Was this ever a thing?

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2023, 11:42:47 PM »
Reintroduction of Staff Officers for admin commands

Was this ever a thing?

Task Forces had Staff Officers in VB6 as Admin Commands are the C# version of the Task Force.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2023, 12:58:31 AM »
Would be nice if there was an extra category in the intel screen called "Known Ordnance" that would provide the characteristics of captured missiles as well as what classes they were seen on (if any).

This could also be extended and more generically called "known Components" and include other systems. Though other systems are often named after their capabilities which makes that less significant, it's only really missiles that get non-descriptive names.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2023, 01:05:54 AM »
Would be cool if we had the ability to set a crew requirement for miscellaneous components, as sub-optimal that sounds mechanically.

Right now I have to posthumously DB edit crew requirements for those components in myself.

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2023, 06:08:25 PM »
Minor QoL suggestion, add the ability to scrap multiple types of component from your stockpile at once.
It can get pretty messy, particularly if you're salvaging/capturing a lot of ships and have a wide variety of NPR components cluttering up the view, and scrapping one at a time is slow.

Alternatively, separate NPR/spoiler-designed and player-designed components into separate columns, to make it easier to check on your stockpiles of components for building ships vs your stockpile of loot.