Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 28652 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2024, 08:52:23 PM »
In the Class Design window, would be great to see Maintenance needed when a specific component fails.

Repair cost (in MSP) is the same as component cost (in BP). And of course 2x for battle damage.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline Therewolfmb

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2024, 02:23:10 AM »
Would it be possible to add a fleet's Minimum current range stat in the overview tab? We can see total range of all orders and total fuel, but not if the ships have enough fuel to complete the orders.

Probably ignore any refueling effects for simplicity.

If a fleet level stat isn't practical, it would be nice if it could be displayed in the ship list next to % of remaining fuel.

The following users thanked this post: tastythighs

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2024, 06:23:43 AM »
Would it be possible to add a fleet's Minimum current range stat in the overview tab? We can see total range of all orders and total fuel, but not if the ships have enough fuel to complete the orders.

If a fleet level stat isn't practical, it would be nice if it could be displayed in the ship list next to % of remaining fuel.

There already is a range stat for ships.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2024, 11:14:46 AM »
A "Commercial Hanger" or "Commercial Boat Bay" that can only be used to carry commercial vessels and doesn't make the mothership automatically a military ship (the way current hangers do). This would let us put small commercial sensor posts inside hangers on Jump Point Stabilization ships and drop them as they stabilize jump points, leave them near gas giants you suspect your enemies may stop by for fuel harvesting, leave them above prime colonizable worlds you don't have time/reach to claim yet, etc.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2024, 11:29:54 AM »
A "Commercial Hanger" or "Commercial Boat Bay" that can only be used to carry commercial vessels and doesn't make the mothership automatically a military ship (the way current hangers do). This would let us put small commercial sensor posts inside hangers on Jump Point Stabilization ships and drop them as they stabilize jump points, leave them near gas giants you suspect your enemies may stop by for fuel harvesting, leave them above prime colonizable worlds you don't have time/reach to claim yet, etc.

--- My dude, what version are you playing? ;D We've had this exact thing since 1.0

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2024, 11:59:16 AM »
Derp, just noticed that myself and came back to delete my request, but you were too fast. *facepalm* I'd never realized the potential there, so had never bothered to use them.

Offline Therewolfmb

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »

There already is a range stat for ships.

I'm sorry if I'm just missing it, but I don't see a current range stat in the top of the fleet tab or anywhere in the ship list portion of the fleet tab (screenshot 095253 attached). It's available in the ship overview menu when selecting a specific ship (screenshot 095330).

It's helpful to see the total distance of movement orders when selecting a fleet, just would be nice to be able to see the fleet's current range in the same view.

SJW: Apologies - misread your post and I was pointing out the current range stat on the ship section.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 05:53:53 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline David_H_Roarings

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2024, 04:45:47 PM »
a toggle for whether a colony is use as a place for automatic overhaul orders or not like the one for automatic refueling would be appreciated

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, captainwolfer, tastythighs

Offline Kai

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2024, 02:36:55 PM »
Reposted and edited from my reddit comment

I'd like to be able to award them things other than 'Medals'/Rinbons'.  Like an inventory of sorts, for whatever flavor-adding item I feel like, or a 'story/personal background item'; just a random picture I get to select that's bigger than the ribbon size [100x30, I believe].  Badges would be good too.  <edit> As a separate category of 'award' , more of a qualification, actually.
<edit> Any other image size I usually get an "out of memory" error.

I'd also like there to be some larger-ish windows where I could upload any image of a uniform I want [ just focused on the L&R chest, the L&R shoulders, and the sleeves ] which I would edit with whatever I decide are service stripes, Medals, and match ribbons that were awarded with the in game system, and badges.  Maybe even be able to switch between examining two uniforms; service uniform and dress uniform.

It would also be amazing for me if we were able to add pictures to ship classes/fighters at the class design screen, then again at the individual ship itself at Naval Organization, but with the ability to add markings/Squadron Nose or Tail Art.

I bet these sound kind of dumb, but it's just a bit more of cheap immersion for me.  If I need to explain better, i can.  Thanks for reading

The following users thanked this post: tastythighs

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2024, 10:16:58 AM »
1. It would be really nice to have a Fleet/Increment AMM PD Summary formatted like the Energy one that lists how many missiles and decoys you just killed.

2. On the Race Information -> Academy page where it confuses new players by listing the total crewmen available, also having some kind of replenishment rate information. Crewmen per year or whatever.

The following users thanked this post: captainwolfer

Offline ExecCrawfish

• Leading Rate
  • E
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2024, 02:38:10 PM »
Decoy missiles are expensive. I don't see why they should be roughly 4x costlier by size than regular missiles, except for balance purposes; but at the moment I don't think they're necessarily good enough to justify that outsize cost.

They're one factor in helping beam ships get into range and countering box launcher salvoes, but not, IMO, such an important part of that calculus that they need an 'artificial' balance factor in the form of cost. As an example, most NPR ship designs with decoy launchers will end up requiring nearly as much corbomite to fill those launchers as they require gallicite to build in the first place.

It's nice to have a use for corbomite, of course, but I think one or more of the below changes might bring things into line a little better.

• Cut the cost - by somewhere between 50% and 66%.
  • Split among more minerals - uridium, tritanium, potentially others.
  • Adjust balance to focus in other areas - change the MSP/signature ratio or reduce effectiveness, or, if cost remains the same, make decoys smaller/more effective.
  • Change missile balance to make decoys a more nuanced choice - I'm sure there are ideas for terminal seekers kicking around the forums somewhere.

Offline notlogic

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2024, 09:38:42 PM »
Naval Orginization Menu - If two fleets are in the same place, let us drag a ship directly from one fleet to another without the extra step of detaching.     

Option to start with a default medal setup and event log color scheme as part of the base game.     I played for a week before learning about the Medals aspect of this game.     I played another two weeks before learning I could download a file from the forums of fully defined conditions with beautiful medals.     Include this in the base game, let people have the option to use the default, but still let them edit it to their preferences if they like.   

When setting up an auto-assign planet governor, naval admin commander, etc, have the drop-down for minimum rank indicate somehow (highlight?) what the current minimum rank for the position is.     Alternately, offer an option to have the minimum rank selection increase to meet increased demands.     Do we *really* need to be bothered every time these people aren't high enough rank?

Towing asteroids into orbit around a different body.   

When queueing up installations for construction, show workers required for the installation in the panel that shows mineral costs.     Just add it right under "Corundium 20" or whatever.     Possibly add research enabling fewer workers per installation, I bet all those slow-research rate RPers would like that.   

An in-game library of ship class designs using either the most basic, or currently researched, tech.     For instance, if you select Freighter for the class label, have a button to import a basic Freighter design from the library.     Not all classes would need examples in the library, but those that do could be highlighted in the drop down to let the player know an example exists.     This could even open the door to people sharing their own libraries of ships that they share.     

(other original suggestions continued to later comment post-edit)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:12:40 AM by notlogic »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2024, 09:55:21 PM »
Naval Orginization Menu - If two fleets are in the same place, let us drag a ship directly from one fleet to another without the extra step of detaching. 

You can already do this.

Option to start with a default medal setup and event log color scheme as part of the base game.   I played for a week before learning about the Medals aspect of this game.   I played another two weeks before learning I could download a file from the forums of fully defined conditions with beautiful medals.   Include this in the base game, let people have the option to use the default, but still let them edit it to their preferences if they like. 

Default medal setup would probably see very little use since there is no way to delete medals except one-by-one, and in most cases I'd prefer to use a medal set that is suited to my roleplay setting. It's not very difficult to import a CSV anyways.

Event log default colors I could actually see being rather useful, as there is no need for deleting colors to change them or set new ones. Again, it is only a few clicks to import a CSV, but for multiple player race games this adds up to a lot of extra clicks when I might just want to use the same colors for all races.

Alternately, offer an option to have the minimum rank selection increase to meet increased demands.   Do we *really* need to be bothered every time these people aren't high enough rank?

99% of the time when there is a conflict of ranks it is due to a player error, at least in my case - so I'd rather have the notification to alert me. I think such an automatic rank change would also backfire since in most cases it would need to propagate up the chain of command, which would create awkward moments when your highest-ranking admiral is no longer qualified to lead the Navy.

Towing asteroids into orbit around a different body. 

This one comes up a lot, in short it is not feasible with the game's towing mechanics since asteroids are many orders of magnitudes larger than any ship you might reasonably build. Towing an asteroid would mean flying around for centuries at a fraction of 1 km/s, not worth it.

When queueing up installations for construction, show workers required for the installation in the panel that shows mineral costs.   Just add it right under "Corundium 20" or whatever.

I would love to have this information in the game somewhere like we already have for shipping sizes. This would be a useful reference to remember worker requirements when trying to plan out a new colony.

An in-game library of ship class designs using either the most basic, or currently researched, tech.   For instance, if you select Freighter for the class label, have a button to import a basic Freighter design from the library.   Not all classes would need examples in the library, but those that do could be highlighted in the drop down to let the player know an example exists.   This could even open the door to people sharing their own libraries of ships that they share.   

We have this feature in the most recent versions, albeit it cannot cross DB changes between major versions.

Offline notlogic

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • n
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2024, 10:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply nuclearslurpee! I'm very excited about the features that you mentioned. 

Here's a pruned version of my previous comment, considering your response: 

I only started playing after 2.   5, but I've been keeping notes on how I feel like the game could work better for beginners and thought I'd share them.     I was hoping to see a 2.   5.   0 version of this thread come out, but gee willickers, I decided to go ahead an share this stuff now.     

Please be kind, I only started playing after 2.   5, so I'm sure a lot of these have been said before and I hope you'll be forgiving.     I read the entire 2.    4.    0 thread we're in now and don't think I saw any of these mentioned here.   

Economics Menu:Civilian/Flags – if the player clicks on something in the left-side colony inventory column, then click add/edit supply/demand, let add based off the item I clicked on rather than the drop down menu in the supply or demand columns.     Consider enabling us to drag an item from the left column to the supply or demand column and have it prompt for the amount when we release the mouse button.   

When making move orders, a “Show Only Fleets” toggle that shows only fleets would be nice.   

When hovering mouse over menu icons at the top of the tactical map, include the current hotkey in parenthesis after the name popup.     For example, when hovering your mouse cursor over the “Open Events Window” icon it should say “Open Events Window (Ctrl-F11)”

User definable hotkeys.     For instance, I’d much prefer research to be F3 than Ctrl-F5.     And I’d love to define a shipyard or events log hotkey.     Maybe these exist already, but a user-definable hotkey section would be so nice.   

User-defined events/clock stoppage.     Maybe I queued up a lot of infantry units and don't want to be stopped at each one.     Or, maybe, I really do want to be notified when my Geological Survey ground units finish their work.   

Eco:Civilian/Flags Menu - a way to indicate preference or priority.     I might *really* want civilian shipping lines to ship some things before others.     Make it cost extra wealth to use the express option.   

User-defined maximums for civilian ships built.     Similar to Dwarf Fortress where you can define maximum population.     Two settings would be ideal: "Maximum # of Civilian Shipping Lines" and "Maximum # of Ships per Civilian Shipping Line"

Let us drag research we want to do to the top box.     Make it red if it needs a scientist or labs.     Then let us drag a scientist on it.     Bonus: If a Logistics research project is on-going, let us drag another Logistics research on top of it to have it added to the queue.   

Economics Menu:Civilian/Flags - Civilian shipping of minerals

Option to start with a default color scheme for the event log.  Obviously keeping the user-defined options.   

CSV in the /medals folder with each option defined.  Let players set reward values for each, if they want to set them above zero.  This would save countless clicks and there are already plenty of ribbon images available to allow this without additional files aside from the CSV.  Might not be worth the coding effort, but consider adding a pop-up whenever an officer does something potentially medal-worthy saying "Captain SlurpNuclearBro just discovered XXX, would you like to define a medal and reward for officers who do this in the future? (press [] to not see these pop-ups again)"

When setting up an auto-assign planet governor, naval admin commander, etc, have the drop-down for minimum rank indicate somehow (highlight?) what the current minimum rank for the position is.  Include an event log interruption whenever there is a change that requires these settings to be updated.

When queueing up installations for construction, show workers required for the installation in the panel that shows mineral costs.     Just add it right under "Corundium 20" or whatever.     Possibly add research enabling fewer workers per installation, I bet all those slow-research rate RPers would like that.   

An library of ship class designs using either the most basic, or currently researched, tech.  Include templates for standard basic ship classes in the install.  NuclearSlurpee taught me that saving and importing templates is a recent addition and still being developed.  Eager to see how this develops. 

When issuing orders to a ship with specific modules, have targets subject to those modules be highlighted/bolded in the list.     For example, if you're issuing orders to a sorium harvester and are scrolling through system bodies, highlight those which can harvested.     Or, perhaps, put an H or S next to its name.     Some other modules which could benefit from this: orbital miners (oh, the asteroids!), jump stabilizers for LPs.   

The ability to sort things by clicking the column label… option to sort system bodies while making move orders alphabetically to more easily find that one weird asteroid; sort search results in the minerals menu with a single click.     That kind of thing.   

-----Make double clicking something default to centering on it.     Fleets in Naval Org, system bodies in Economics or System view, etc.     In the tactical window, change centering the map on a target to double-clicking.   

A mini-map of the Galactic Map.     If you click a system in the mini-map, the tactical map jumps to it.     Include a small, collapsible list of jump points (JP1: Sol, JP2: Proxima Centauri, etc).     When tactical map is the active window, pressing the corresponding number on your keyboard changes or clicking on the JP in the list switched you to that system.   

To add to the above, movement orders issued like so:

1.     Click to location on tactical map select fleet.     Click elsewhere to deselect, or select a different target.     
    1a.     If multiple fleets and system bodies exist at click location, show context menu allowing selection of desired fleet/system body.   
    1b.     From Naval Org menu, show the orders list for this vessel.   
2.     If needed, click to your desired system in minimap or press numbers on keyboard to show the system.   
Right-click target for context menu (Move to Location, Join Fleet, Refuel, etc).     Add selection to orders.   
3.     Repeat steps 2-3 until craft is deselected.   
This wouldn’t need to replace the Naval Org system of movement, just be an option.   

As part of the above, also allow clicking system bodies for similar effects:
1.     Click system body on tactical map to open Economics menu.     Click elsewhere to deselect, or select a different target.     
   1a.     If multiple fleets and system bodies exist at click location, show context menu allowing selection of desired system body or fleet.   

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2024, 02:15:55 PM »
Suggestion - New "No Maintenance Cost" Game Rule

Currently in the game setup rules we have "No Maintenance Required", which disables all ship breakdowns, failures, overhauls, and ongoing MSP maintenance costs. I personally would enjoy a less severe version of this where ships still suffer maintenance breakdowns when away from a maintenance base and require overhauls, but there is no annual MSP consumption for ships at a maintenance base. This would allow for building larger standing fleets and make it less costly to keep obsolete ships, while still having the logistics challenge of building forward fleet bases and maintaining pickets.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer, BigBacon, captainwolfer, Therewolfmb