Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 64175 times)

Offline Ush213

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #660 on: September 22, 2024, 06:09:24 AM »
Static Army Recruitment Bonuses for Colony Worlds

Similar to how ruins work what about if when discovering a habitable world there is a chance for that colony to give a static army recruitment bonus to units created on it.
Bonuses like 5% to defense or a boost in breakthrough and similar bonuses to the already existing fighting mechanics.

Taught behind it is as Auroras spoilers are mostly based on 40K Xenos it would be cool for RP reasons to be able to have armies or legions that have unique bonus to them based on the worlds they come from like the Space Marines have.
It would also encourage players to build colonies on those worlds regardless of their position in the galaxy, Some might even be on border systems and see a lot of fighting like 40Ks Cadia.

Offline MinuteMan

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #661 on: September 27, 2024, 01:23:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is it possible to add a "Current location" to the "Movement orders" "Bodies?" list?
Or if that is not possible. Add the body that you are currently orbiting to the "Bodies?" list.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #662 on: September 27, 2024, 02:05:03 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is it possible to add a "Current location" to the "Movement orders" "Bodies?" list?
Or if that is not possible. Add the body that you are currently orbiting to the "Bodies?" list.

Thanks in advance.

The body you are orbiting will already be on the bodies list. If it already has a population, it will be in the list of populations that appears before the list of bodies.

Offline Alsadius

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #663 on: September 27, 2024, 03:29:27 PM »

Similar to how ruins work what about if when discovering a habitable world there is a chance for that colony to give a static army recruitment bonus to units created on it.
Bonuses like 5% to defense or a boost in breakthrough and similar bonuses to the already existing fighting mechanics.

Taught behind it is as Auroras spoilers are mostly based on 40K Xenos it would be cool for RP reasons to be able to have armies or legions that have unique bonus to them based on the worlds they come from like the Space Marines have.
It would also encourage players to build colonies on those worlds regardless of their position in the galaxy, Some might even be on border systems and see a lot of fighting like 40Ks Cadia.

I'd probably structure this as those worlds being able to build units with the normal terrain bonuses ("Desert Warfare", "High Gravity", etc.), but without needing to pay the extra costs for those, or with a reduced cost penalty. Probably a lot easier to track in the code, and doesn't break the current design balance, but still has the same feel. That high-G, high-pressure hot desert mountain world that's a pain in the arse to live on suddenly gets a lot more appealing when you can use it to churn out Sardaukar. Normally, Extreme Pressure + High G + Extreme Temp + Mountain + Desert is a cost multiplier of 2*1.5*1.5*1.25*1.25 = 7.03. Even if it just halves the penalties, you're suddenly looking at a multiplier of 1.5*1.25*1.25*1.125*1.125 = 2.97 instead, which is less than half the final cost.

Not sure if it's balanced, but I think that's your best shot at making it work.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline nakorkren

• Commander
  • n
« Reply #664 on: September 28, 2024, 03:10:09 PM »
Highly likely it's been asked for many times before, but can we please please please  have Random Stars setting assign system names randomly from the list, rather than picking them in alphabetical order? This would be a significant QoL improvement. Currently if you play Random Stars you have to manually rename your systems as you discover them or accept that your galaxy will be comprised solely of names starting with the letter A or B for the first 50 years.

Hoping this is a really easy thing to implement.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, relmz32, Alsadius, Steve Zax

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #665 on: September 28, 2024, 08:13:07 PM »
Highly likely it's been asked for many times before, but can we please please please  have Random Stars setting assign system names randomly from the list, rather than picking them in alphabetical order? This would be a significant QoL improvement. Currently if you play Random Stars you have to manually rename your systems as you discover them or accept that your galaxy will be comprised solely of names starting with the letter A or B for the first 50 years.

I second this. We already have the feature for ship class names so I don't really see why not.

The following users thanked this post: Steve Zax

Offline Steve Zax

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #666 on: September 28, 2024, 11:11:44 PM »

the work around instead of manually renaming them, is open the file for system names, resort the names randomly, and then do it again EACH AND EVERY TIME you go thru to discover a new star.

Offline nakorkren

• Commander
  • n
« Reply #667 on: September 28, 2024, 11:29:50 PM »
the work around instead of manually renaming them, is open the file for system names, resort the names randomly, and then do it again EACH AND EVERY TIME you go thru to discover a new star.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's exactly as much work as renaming them manually, because you have to resort it each time you discover a new star. Just checking to make sure I'm not missing something, because if it was as simple as randomizing the list once at the start of the game setup, that would be a legit workaround and I'd be kicking myself for not trying that.

Offline Ush213

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #668 on: September 29, 2024, 09:37:59 AM »

I'd probably structure this as those worlds being able to build units with the normal terrain bonuses ("Desert Warfare", "High Gravity", etc.), but without needing to pay the extra costs for those, or with a reduced cost penalty. Probably a lot easier to track in the code, and doesn't break the current design balance, but still has the same feel. That high-G, high-pressure hot desert mountain world that's a pain in the arse to live on suddenly gets a lot more appealing when you can use it to churn out Sardaukar. Normally, Extreme Pressure + High G + Extreme Temp + Mountain + Desert is a cost multiplier of 2*1.5*1.5*1.25*1.25 = 7.03. Even if it just halves the penalties, you're suddenly looking at a multiplier of 1.5*1.25*1.25*1.125*1.125 = 2.97 instead, which is less than half the final cost.

Not sure if it's balanced, but I think that's your best shot at making it work.

Ya i taught of that to. Im not good on the code side of things so im not sure what the difference in workload would be between using the current terrain bonus to using the ruins mechanic to create something new.

Offline nakorkren

• Commander
  • n
« Reply #669 on: September 29, 2024, 11:12:41 AM »
Could the Order of Battle tab remember the prior state of which nodes in the tree were collapsed vs open? It's frustrating to have to redo it every time I open the window or even check one of the options within the window. Besides, I suspect folks rarely want to see everything. I know I'm usually looking for a specific planet where combat is ongoing or where I'm organizing an army as new units are built.

SJW: I've added retention of the expanded vs closed for naval admin commands
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 05:26:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: paolot

Offline Steve Zax

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #670 on: September 29, 2024, 01:01:15 PM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's exactly as much work as renaming them manually, because you have to resort it each time you discover a new star. Just checking to make sure I'm not missing something, because if it was as simple as randomizing the list once at the start of the game setup, that would be a legit workaround and I'd be kicking myself for not trying that.

yeah I meant to say that this is just as much trouble. If you can choose a name randomly (and you know the difference between choose and random) then you are better off doing it your way. I have no confidence in MY ability to choose a name truly randomly, but thats just me.

Offline Ghostly

• Leading Rate
  • G
« Reply #671 on: September 30, 2024, 05:22:08 AM »
    Greetings! Long time player/first time poster here. My current game has been going on since March 2024, and here's the list of things that I've been troubled by the most:

Waypoint-firing with sensor missiles.
Currently, the only way (that I'm aware of after extensive testing) to strike a non-active contact target with sensor-equipped missiles is to calculate an intercept manually, place a waypoint there and fire the missiles at it, then use the currently broken Move Waypoint command to reposition the waypoint after the missiles approach the target ship close enough for their on-board sensors to detect it, but before they reach the waypoint itself. Doing so makes the missiles lose the waypoint as a target and target their ship contacts instead. Any missiles targeting the waypoint but lacking sensor contacts or those that have already reached the waypoint will be stuck in place instead until their endurance expires.

Examples of this behavior: https://imgur.com/a/xRqgYCn

This tactic is very rewarding (to strike otherwise unreachable targets you need to use suboptimal missiles and calculate intercepts manually as if you were playing Highfleet) but it can only be executed once per game restart due to the broken waypoint movement, and I'm unsure whether the coming 2.6.0 fix will allow it to be used continuously or break it entirely, but either way it feels like it's not working as intended.

Proposed solution: allow sensor-capable missiles to behave in true homing missile fashion by automatically targeting any contact their sensors come across, as long as they were fired at a waypoint (to let them function properly when fired at ships in a conventional fashion), with a possible exception for any system body or JP waypoint (to avoid messing with sensor probes, although an option in missile designer to prevent sensor-based retargeting could solve this more elegantly).

Maintenance facilities at unpopulated worlds.
I'm sure this is a bug, but my survey ships would view worlds with ruins where maintenance facilities were unearthed as valid targets for Refuel, Resupply and Overhaul at Colony conditional order, despite the population and therefore the maintenance capacity of the world being zero, leading to them getting stuck in an eternal overhaul. I assume it was because the order considered theoretical maintenance capacity of the world as if it was at full population.

Proposed solution: either make the order consider actual maintenance capacity of possible maintenance locations, or make Act as Destination for Automated Refuel checkbox impact maintenance as well.

Moving ships between Admin Commands.
A movement order specifying a change in Admin Command was promised in 2017 (https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103849#msg103849) but never added. Ship Construction into Admin Commands is a step in the right direction but it gets increasingly tedious to drag existing fleets between admins the more fleets and admins you have, which is a real problem with a large empire. Therefore I propose adding an order or a menu to quickly change the Admin Command of a fleet.

SJW: As below, you can shift-click to get a second Fleet window, then drag between two windows

Boarding and crew mechanics.
A complicated one. Currently, freshly boarded ships don't seem to suffer any morale penalties despite suffering 100% crew losses (there seem to be exceptions, every spoiler ship I've boarded ended up with 100% morale but I've seen some NPR ships end up with 60% and 75% morale) and are perfectly capable of performing damage control on themselves, as well as performing any combat duties once the overhaul factor wears off despite being unmanned. I understand that a prize crew shouldn't be necessary to get a captured ship to a colony for scrapping or restoration, but the ship in question shouldn't be capable of doing much else.

SJW: This one is not straightforward and would need to fit in with a wider implementation of under-manning, which can happen to ships without being boarded. Having actual prize crews is an option, but then I need to add mechanics and tracking, or detach existing crew, etc.. However, I am not sure it adds any meaningful decisions to the game and would require more micromanagement. The overhaul factor was a way to prevent ships immediately becoming useful mid-battle and to simulate that it would take time to get the ship properly underway, without adding any additional micromanagement.

Proposed solution: Make boarded ships correctly calculate their morale (it would make sense for it to be 0). Make morale affect damage control rating. This would still allow unmanned commercial ships to perform normal damage control, and I'm unsure how to solve it (not sure if making crew losses affect damage control is feasible, and making unmanned ships have a strongly negative crew grade bonus would probably mess with military designs).

Additionally, having a Transfer Crew fleet order (subject to the Maximum Items setting) would allow the use of prize crews to perform damage control on captured ships, as well as reinforcing crews on ships that have sustained losses in deep space (perhaps with an option to add surplus crew to a ship design?). A case could be made that on-board Boarding Combat capable infantry should reduce the crew losses meter by their unit count.
In a similar vein, a Transfer Survivors order would solve the prolem of survivors being stuck on overcrowded ships, dooming their life supports if no nearby colony is available.
Lastly, adding an order to Replace Crew at Colony (to bring ship's Grade to the current Training Level) would solve the issue of ships that were launched when no trained crew was available being stuck with negative grade modifiers.

Boarding Swarm ships.
Nuff said. Swarm is easily the most dangerous threat one can encounter and there's but one tactic that can trivialize them entirely while also making their high tech available to the player. I do have a few ideas how to solve this like making all units boarding Swarm ships deal exclusively collateral damage while getting hit with a CAP/HCAP worth of "acid damage" each turn, but it would also be fine to make boarders die instantly, perhaps once they breach the armor.

SJW: I've removed the option to board swarm ships - this is something I have meant to do for a while, so this triggered me finally sorting it out. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13463.msg171567#msg171567

Load Assigned Ground Templates.
I'm not sure what's going on with this order, but I've had it fail constantly, sometimes even loading damaged formations of the target template that were set as "Use for Replacements" while ignoring the intact ones. I assume that the "load ground formations with the same original template" part seen here https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13090.msg162545#msg162545 makes it look at the template the formation was built with and not the one it currently possesses, which means it is liable to ignore perfectly valid formations, especially once they're upgraded after a new racial weapon/armour strength tech is available.

Proposed solution: Change the order to include all formations with matching current templates and sizes, as well as add a Load Assigned Ground Templates from Fleet order that ignores size differences to reduce the dreadful micro of recovering boarders from captured ships.

Commander UI shortcuts.
Double-clicking on a commander in Fleet UI to view him in the Commanders window is very useful, but some other areas could benefit from this functionality too:
  • Double-clicking on a colony/sector governor/academy commandant in Colonies window should open the Commanders window with the administrator selected.
  • Double-clicking on an officer in Commanders window should open the Fleet window with the commander's Fleet/Ship selected.
  • Double-clicking on an administrator in Commanders window should open the Colonies window with the commander's colony selected (especially useful for managing CMC governors).
  • Double-clicking on a ship in Ships in Class menu of the Class Design window should open the Fleet window with the chosen Fleet/Ship selected. SJW: Added this for v2.6

Use of salvaged components.
Generic components that were salvaged, excavated or acquired from scrapping alien ships can be used in existing ship designs with no problem, but you can often salvage race-designed components that are equivalent to yours in all but name. Example: I'm currently sitting on a large stockpile of Size 2 Missile Launchers and 25cm V50/C5 Railguns that are functionally completely identical to my race-designed ones but can't be utilized without creating a new class to accommodate them with all the additional micro that this entails.

Proposed solution: add an option to refit components to functionally identical race-designed ones for a 10% cost in minerals, either through a button in GU/Stockpiles menu or through a new build menu in the Industry tab.

Sensor Buoys and NPRs
This might be difficult/controversial, but I find that sensor buyos are exceedingly overpowered as of now, providing a God-mode view of enemy movements. A hostile NPR ship will destroy a sensor buoy located on top of a JP it transits if the buoy is in its weapon range, but will ignore it if it has to alter its route to reach it, even if it's still able to detect it. Deploying the buoy 1.5mkm from a JP means it will never get destroyed and will continue feeding you useful intel forever. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but if an NPR could make note of detected buoys, mark them with a waypoint and incorporate said waypoints into their already existing routes (or dispatch specially assigned PD ships against buoys in high-value systems), it would greatly reduce the player's advantage in intel and incentivize the use of stealthier passive sensor buoys being deployed in a more strategic fashion. I would go as far as to propose that neutral NPRs should also target sensor buoys in their high-value systems, and incur a diplomatic penalty for the race that deployed them.

SJW: I could resolve this fairly easily by making NPRs become upset about buoys in the same way as ships. However, especially in large multi-race campaigns, it can be interesting for the player to see what is happening in different parts of the galaxy. Certainly for my own campaign, it adds a lot of flavour to the AAR be able to report on other races fighting (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=328.0). If players feel they are overpowered, then its easy enough to implement a house rule not to use them. I have added a point of interest for NPRs though when they detect a buoy.

Additionally, to make deploying buoys at various ranges less micro-intensive (it currently requires using the ruler tool and waypoints) I propose that the Launch Ready Ordnance order be given access to the Minimum Distance setting. This can be as simple as executing a Launch Ready Ordnance order targeting the ship's current location at the chosen distance from the selected object.

I would be delighted to hear your response, Steve.

[/list]

SJW: I'll fill in some other responses when I get time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 10:06:07 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: ty55101

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2024, 07:42:36 AM »
A movement order specifying a change in Admin Command was promised in 2017 (https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103849#msg103849) but never added. Ship Construction into Admin Commands is a step in the right direction but it gets increasingly tedious to drag existing fleets between admins the more fleets and admins you have, which is a real problem with a large empire. Therefore I propose adding an order or a menu to quickly change the Admin Command of a fleet.be delighted to hear your response, Steve.
On this one, if required you can open two fleet windows and drag between them.

The following users thanked this post: Ghostly

Offline Alsadius

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #673 on: September 30, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »
Can we get the option to zoom the galaxy map? Even my relatively small explored area is starting to feel cramped, and big universes seem like big pains in the butt to visualize.

Also, a bit more pie-in-the-sky, it might be fun to have an option for naming themes of systems that works on a system-by-system basis. Each system has a naming scheme for things that get discovered from it, and every time you do, that'd be inherited by the newly discovered system. That way, people could have chains of systems keep similar names, but different chains have different schemes. (This means that instead of the current option for a system naming scheme that applies galaxy-wide, you'd just have the scheme for your homeworld, and it'd automatically spread outwards from there until you changed it somewhere.)

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline clew

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #674 on: September 30, 2024, 10:52:49 AM »
A movement order specifying a change in Admin Command was promised in 2017 (https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103849#msg103849) but never added. Ship Construction into Admin Commands is a step in the right direction but it gets increasingly tedious to drag existing fleets between admins the more fleets and admins you have, which is a real problem with a large empire. Therefore I propose adding an order or a menu to quickly change the Admin Command of a fleet.be delighted to hear your response, Steve.
On this one, if required you can open two fleet windows and drag between them.

You can open two fleet windows? How? That would make moving battlegroups between geographic fleets much easier.