Author Topic: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 12971 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2024, 11:56:30 AM »
When switching which system is viewed on the main screen, I'm encountering an occasional bug where the game switches to a different system (not the one I selected) and then locks on that system, refusing to switch off of it by any means.

Restarting the game clears the lock and I can change which system is viewed again.

Ok, I've learned a bit more about this.
Sometimes when I have the naval organisation window open and a fleet selected, and I try to switch to a system which does not contain that fleet, it will switch instead to the system in which that fleet is located. If I close the naval organisation window, the main view remains stuck on that system. If I select a different fleet and try to change system, it will switch to the system the newly selected fleet is in.

Will try to work out why it's only sometimes.

Do you have “Select on Map” checked in the Naval Organization window? It’s down in the bottom right–hand corner of the window.

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2024, 12:00:42 PM »
Are you absolutely sure that you're playing on 2.5.0? I'm asking because this bug has been reported and fixed in the past already.
Yes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:03:18 PM by kyonkundenwa »

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2024, 12:30:55 PM »
When switching which system is viewed on the main screen, I'm encountering an occasional bug where the game switches to a different system (not the one I selected) and then locks on that system, refusing to switch off of it by any means.

Restarting the game clears the lock and I can change which system is viewed again.

Ok, I've learned a bit more about this.
Sometimes when I have the naval organisation window open and a fleet selected, and I try to switch to a system which does not contain that fleet, it will switch instead to the system in which that fleet is located. If I close the naval organisation window, the main view remains stuck on that system. If I select a different fleet and try to change system, it will switch to the system the newly selected fleet is in.

Will try to work out why it's only sometimes.

Do you have “Select on Map” checked in the Naval Organization window? It’s down in the bottom right–hand corner of the window.

I think I've got it nailed down. If you have "select on map" checked, select a fleet, and then click the "military" tab in the box on the left of the main screen, this locks you into only being able to view the system in which the ship you currently have selected is located, even if you uncheck the select on map box.

Furthermore, I don't recall ever clicking the select on map box, I didn't even know about it until you told me. So unless there's a hotkey for it I've been pressing by accident, I really don't know how I managed to have this problem in the first place.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2024, 02:37:56 PM »
I've searched and could not find this reported before so apologies if my Google-Fu has failed:

I had 4 fleets with subfleets that I gave the order 'Squadron Transit by subfleet' for a JP they were stationed at. Instead of transiting by subfleet, the subfleets were separated into independent squadrons and the order was deleted. The original fleets were also deleted. None of the subfleets (or fleets that they became) transited the JP. There were no ships in the original fleets, they were all assigned to subfleets.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2024, 06:30:22 PM »
I've searched and could not find this reported before so apologies if my Google-Fu has failed:

I had 4 fleets with subfleets that I gave the order 'Squadron Transit by subfleet' for a JP they were stationed at. Instead of transiting by subfleet, the subfleets were separated into independent squadrons and the order was deleted. The original fleets were also deleted. None of the subfleets (or fleets that they became) transited the JP. There were no ships in the original fleets, they were all assigned to subfleets.

Welchbloke

It's been broken for a while, but a fix would be nice.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke

Offline Iron_Hide4

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2024, 11:51:56 PM »
Civilian ships deleted from Naval Organization page are added to the Class design list.   They show up without ticking the civilian box.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2024, 05:46:25 AM »
I've got the annoying 'locked on 5 sec increment' issue - is this still a bug or is there a fix action I can take?

Thanks in advance.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2024, 07:40:14 AM »
Turn sensors off and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then there's probably a MFC or BFC trying to fire somewhere.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2024, 07:52:29 AM »
Turn sensors off and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then there's probably a MFC or BFC trying to fire somewhere.
It was a fleet's worth of BFC.  ::)

I'd hadn't told the fleet to cease fire after the last enemy target had been destroyed.

I used to know about checking the MFC/BFC - I've forgotten some many things about Aurora in the 6 months between games.....

Thanks.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2024, 01:33:51 PM »
So another odd situation that seems to be a bug. I have a fleet with an active sensor that has previously detected spoiler race ships in orbit of planet. They were detected when my race first entered sensor range of the planet. Since then I have fought a pitched battle with the spoilers across the system, retreated briefly and conducted a JP assault and only 24 previously detected ships remain. They are a mix of FACs and support ships (I think). The problem is that they aren't being detected by my race anymore. Initially I thought the spoilers had headed off into a quiet corner of the system and were out of sensor range. I've just checked in the DB and their x-y coordinates are that of the planet I detected them at in the beginning. I have a fleet well within sensor range with a resolution that should detect the spoiler ships but they aren't being reported as contacts.

Anyone got any suggestions for a fix?

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2024, 01:45:13 PM »
So another odd situation that seems to be a bug. I have a fleet with an active sensor that has previously detected spoiler race ships in orbit of planet. They were detected when my race first entered sensor range of the planet. Since then I have fought a pitched battle with the spoilers across the system, retreated briefly and conducted a JP assault and only 24 previously detected ships remain. They are a mix of FACs and support ships (I think). The problem is that they aren't being detected by my race anymore. Initially I thought the spoilers had headed off into a quiet corner of the system and were out of sensor range. I've just checked in the DB and their x-y coordinates are that of the planet I detected them at in the beginning. I have a fleet well within sensor range with a resolution that should detect the spoiler ships but they aren't being reported as contacts.

Welchbloke
are your active sensors on?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »

Welchbloke

Yes, I even turned them on and off several times while moving in and out of range of the planet.
Welchbloke

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2024, 02:00:58 PM »

Welchbloke

Yes, I even turned them on and off several times while moving in and out of range of the planet.

This may be a dumb question, but have you saved the game before opening the DB?

I only ask because I have, more than once, poked around in the DB trying to figure out why something was happening, gotten confused, and then realized that the DB was not representative of the actual game because I had not saved yet. I'm sure old VB6 players who were used to the DB being saved after every increment can relate to this as well.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2024, 02:07:19 PM »

This may be a dumb question, but have you saved the game before opening the DB?

I only ask because I have, more than once, poked around in the DB trying to figure out why something was happening, gotten confused, and then realized that the DB was not representative of the actual game because I had not saved yet. I'm sure old VB6 players who were used to the DB being saved after every increment can relate to this as well.

Reasonable question, I did save before opening.  I was adding waypoints, saving and checking where they were before I finally realised the spoilers were still in orbit around the planet. I cross-checked x-y between fleet, waypoint (added to planet) and planet location.
Welchbloke

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2024, 02:44:16 AM »
Summary: Routine ground unit class design resulted in a "Race-designed Engine" research topic (in Power and Propulsion) with an unusual RP requirement which when researched did not create any component nor ground unit.

I finally researched Advanced Genetic Enhancement and decided to create some top-of-the-line boarding troops. I selected Infantry, CAP, Heavy Powered Infantry Armor, Boarding Combat, and Advanced Genetic Enhancement, which results in a research cost of 273 (Image 1). After clicking "create" I went to the economics->research screen to research my new ground unit but the tech wasn't there. Certain that I had indeed clicked "create"-but without searching too hard-I decided to design and research the HQ for these elite boarders which occurred normally, while waiting to see if the research topic for the CAP troops magically turned up.

About 3 months [and a few IRL hours plus a save/quit/load] later, as I was cleaning out a bunch of test prototype engines by making them into research prototypes and then deleting their project entries, I noted the missing ground unit class research topic in Power and Propulsion which had the correct name but an RP cost of 501 which does not correspond to the cost of 273 noted above (Image 2). I SM-researched it but there was no result: no engine in the class design nor technology report windows, and no ground unit class available in the ground unit formation template screen. DB attached in case it helps.

I can't replicate it, designing the same class again achieves the desired normal result. I have seen this problem before so I suspect (hope?) others have as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:49:07 AM by kyonkundenwa »