Author Topic: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 12984 times)

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
Re: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2024, 06:06:21 AM »
Summary: Routine ground unit class design resulted in a "Race-designed Engine" research topic (in Power and Propulsion) with an unusual RP requirement which when researched did not create any component nor ground unit.

I finally researched Advanced Genetic Enhancement and decided to create some top-of-the-line boarding troops. I selected Infantry, CAP, Heavy Powered Infantry Armor, Boarding Combat, and Advanced Genetic Enhancement, which results in a research cost of 273 (Image 1). After clicking "create" I went to the economics->research screen to research my new ground unit but the tech wasn't there. Certain that I had indeed clicked "create"-but without searching too hard-I decided to design and research the HQ for these elite boarders which occurred normally, while waiting to see if the research topic for the CAP troops magically turned up.

About 3 months [and a few IRL hours plus a save/quit/load] later, as I was cleaning out a bunch of test prototype engines by making them into research prototypes and then deleting their project entries, I noted the missing ground unit class research topic in Power and Propulsion which had the correct name but an RP cost of 501 which does not correspond to the cost of 273 noted above (Image 2). I SM-researched it but there was no result: no engine in the class design nor technology report windows, and no ground unit class available in the ground unit formation template screen. DB attached in case it helps.

I can't replicate it, designing the same class again achieves the desired normal result. I have seen this problem before so I suspect (hope?) others have as well.

I have had a similar thing happen, a plasma carronade I tried to research did not appear as expected and only later did I realise that the project had appeared in Sensors & Control Systems for 0 RP.

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2024, 09:27:27 AM »
I SM-researched it but there was no result: no engine in the class design nor technology report windows, and no ground unit class available in the ground unit formation template screen. DB attached in case it helps.

looking at your database (in the table FCT_TechSystemID), the... "Kousotsu Kaihetai-Keikikanjyuudan (71-shi)" is shown as being a jump engine (techtype 119). should probably appear in that category.

I've seen something along these lines, where somehow something that I've typed into a text box somewhere, has appeared incorrectly as the name of a project. I'm not sure how it occurs or how to try and replicate it though.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2024, 11:41:45 AM »
I have also seen the same thing once or twice, I attempted to create a component research project and it created a project in an unrelated category instead. Usually the fix is to delete that tech and re-create the component project. I've been unable to reproduce the bug consistently so it must be a rare and random thing.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2024, 04:23:10 PM »
As I recall, that happens when you have multiple tech design window open. When you focus them they overwrite each other’s global variables, resulting in broken techs. The only fix once it has happened is to find and delete the tech that ended up in the wrong category and recreate it.

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314, Louella

Offline buczbucz

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • b
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2024, 05:42:00 PM »
Unless I understand it incorrectly, rules state that if a ship A is between 20% and 25% larger than ship B then only 1 way refit should be possible - from ship A to ship B (as the change is less than 20% of it's current size).  I. e.  you can refit from 2538 tons to 2061 tons, but you cannot refit from 2061 tons to 2538 tones (as it's above 20% change).

Info in the new "Priorities / Misc" screen might be incorrect, as for the bigger ship under "refit from listed class to current class" it list the smaller ship, and for the smaller ship it doesn't list anything.

Instead for the bigger ship it should list the small ship under "refit from current class to listed class", and for the smaller ship it should list the bigger ship under "refit from listed class to current class".

Attaching some screenshots that show this problem.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2024, 05:42:31 PM »
As I recall, that happens when you have multiple tech design window open. When you focus them they overwrite each other’s global variables, resulting in broken techs. The only fix once it has happened is to find and delete the tech that ended up in the wrong category and recreate it.

Unlike other windows, you should only be able to have one Create Project window open at once. The Shift-click option is blocked for that.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2024, 06:30:53 PM »

Unlike other windows, you should only be able to have one Create Project window open at once. The Shift-click option is blocked for that.

How does the same bug keep happening then?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2024, 07:11:36 PM »

I create more by accident very frequently from the class design screen.

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2024, 08:30:55 PM »

I never use shift-click and I always end up with multiple Create Project windows open..

The following users thanked this post: papent

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2024, 05:17:40 AM »

Ah! That's the problem. I prevented multiple shift-clicks but forgot about the button on the class window.

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2024, 12:14:53 PM »
Ah! That's the problem. I prevented multiple shift-clicks but forgot about the button on the class window.

And just to double check, the other tech design windows don’t interfere with each other or with the general tech design window? I would try it out myself, but I am away from my main computer for a few days.

Offline Adzikus

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2024, 12:29:33 PM »
Some minor thing, maybe not a bug.

On Commanders window, when using Manticore Rank Theme, we see only 4 chars of rank, but there is 5 characters. . .  And I must check on Fleet Organization window which rank I need.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2024, 02:48:17 AM »
Patch 2.5.1 when?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2024, 07:07:44 AM »
Patch 2.5.1 when?  ;D

Sorry, distractions :)

I hope this week.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke, ChubbyPitbull, Kaiser, Garfunkel, Kiero, Snoman314

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2024, 01:33:49 PM »
Minor thing: The "Wrecks" checkbox on galactic map display tab is not saved (at least visually). E.g. restarting Aurora I can see wrecks on the map but the checkbox is unchecked.

SJW: Fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:54:37 AM by Steve Walmsley »