Author Topic: Empire Mining - Comet #9, but which system.  (Read 678 times)

Offline Oafsalot (OP)

• Petty Officer
Empire Mining - Comet #9, but which system.
« on: July 08, 2024, 02:51:19 PM »
It can be very time consuming to track down the comet with the excess minerals on from the Empire Mining screen because it only says Comet #X and doesn't say System Name - Comet #X.

Can we have it prepend the System Name when it's a Comet?

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Akhillis

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Empire Mining - Comet #9, but which system.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 04:03:02 AM »
It can be very time consuming to track down the comet with the excess minerals on from the Empire Mining screen because it only says Comet #X and doesn't say System Name - Comet #X.

Can we have it prepend the System Name when it's a Comet?

Thanks

I usually change the population name of important comets to <system name> - <comet name>, or something more meaningful, so it wouldn't be ideal to also have a system name prefix. The same applies to asteroids.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 04:42:36 AM »
Isn't that just a manual workaround to get around the lack of automatic UI? I mean would you still rename them with <system name> if it was showed with system name prefix where you wanted it?  ::) :P

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 05:43:22 AM »
Isn't that just a manual workaround to get around the lack of automatic UI? I mean would you still rename them with <system name> if it was showed with system name prefix where you wanted it?  ::) :P

Not really. I could name it anything. For example, one comet in my current game is called Hadano Naval Base. so it would look odd to have Hadano - Hadano Naval Base. I couldn't just call it 'Naval Base' because that would be a problem in other windows - such as events. Plus it uses up space, so depending on names, it may not fit.

Either I add a system column for everything and make the other columns narrower, or leave as is. Right now, if you want a system name, you can include it. Adding a system prefix takes away the choice and flexibility - unless I also add a checkbox for adding the system name, etc.

The following users thanked this post: alex_brunius

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 06:41:56 AM »
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning! I didn't consider situations like that.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 08:51:37 AM »
Perhaps a useful compromise would be to have a button in the Empire Mining tab that opens the selected body in the Mining tab? It is a bit of a roundabout way to solve the issue at hand, but would be otherwise useful to help make decisions about distributing mining assets.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982