Author Topic: The Grand Assembly of Hive and Guilds - A story of little buggy bois  (Read 951 times)

Offline DrBladeSTEEL (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • D
It'ik K'ami is a planet of giants. From the titanic conifers of the polar Taigas to the choking jungles of the equatorial rainforests, megafauna stalks every corner of the warm, lush planet. With high atmospheric oxygen, very little orbital eccentricity, and an extensive hydrosphere, It’ik K’ami stands out as one of the most biodiverse and speciose planets in the whole of the galactic north. Locomotive-sized grazers roam the forest floor, while pack hunters the size of battle tanks ready razor-sharp talons and bone-crushing jaws specifically designed for macropredation. Almost every ecological niche is strongly contested, and the biological arms race resulting from such intense selection pressure has turned the emerald orb into what many races would consider a ‘Death World’.

From this world of monsters and giants emerged a civilization most peculiar. Diminutive opportunists, the Vipav'va are a species of sapient hexapods native to the maze-like roots and tunnels of the Zar’xipkan jungles. Measuring 106cm (3’2”) when standing, the digitigrade Kzzark’ri possess six limbs with three opposable claws, the lowest pair being considerably thicker and adapted to bipedal locomotion. They are equally adept at moving on all six legs, though often this is only done to aid in climbing or prone movement. Hard, chitinous plates protect most of their bodies, with gaps in the armor plating being filled with an equally resilient, scaled skin. Individuals tend to be of dark coloration, ranging from drab olive to muddy ochre, and most phenotypes display mottling to aid in camouflage.

Highly intelligent and social, Vipav'va formed large communities in secure ‘nests’ out of the notice of predators, developing tools and tactics to protect themselves and their kin using the power of teamwork and strength of numbers brought on by their most exceptional trait: their insane fecundity. Vipav'va lay between 20-30 eggs per clutch, buried in a sterile medium 10-12 days after fertilization. These eggs then hatch within three to four weeks, the younglings growing to full maturity in as little as 90 days given sufficient nutrition. Given adequate resources, an entire nest of thousands can spring up from a handful of individuals in a matter of a year.

It is then perhaps unsurprising that the Vipav'va are not a long-lived species. Although capable of living several decades, very few live to see their 20th birthdays through a combination of predation, overwork, industrial accidents, substance abuse, and a rather gung-ho attitude. Given the relatively short lifespan, high birth rates, and unbounded enthusiasm for the greater good of their colonies and hives, the Vipav'va do not cling very tightly to the concept of growing old. Many would (and hence do) prefer to get as much work done as possible while alive, contributing the most to society they can while also consuming the fewest resources; burning twice as bright for half as long in the knowledge that their innumerable spawn will fill their places. Towards this end, the use of performance enhancing drugs is extremely commonplace, with often the final days of a Vipav'va being spend in a form of apotheosis of productivity shortly before they collapse amongst the piles of completed work and discarded cans of pre-prepared stimulant beverages. Similarly, most don’t seem to recognize the need for industrial safety, as the time lost to reduce the chance of an accident from 1% to .001% seemds dreadfully inefficient.

By their 9th millennium as an extant race (as far as the archaeology has been able to determine), the Vipav’va had unlocked the secrets of trans-newtonian materials, their busy hive cities bustling happily beneath the mostly untouched surface of their homeworld. In the year 1298,  marking the time since the trade unions, guilds, and hive administrations had formed a loose yet shockingly effective global government, the Grand Assembly declared the start of a new calendar, a marking of the trans-newtonian era. In this session of the assembly, amongst the various squabbles and mediations between competing interests, the east hemisphere mining guild made a bold proposal: The EHMG would be pursuing the acquisition of trans-newtonian materials from beyond the pink-tinged skies of It’ik Ka’mi, and invited its fellow mining organizations to form a cooperative venture to do so. Three of the five major mining guilds agreed to the proposal, and the “Interplanetary Mining Cooperative” began to reach towards the stars…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back and shockingly alive. I have noticed a distinct and distressing lack of Xenos fiction, which while understandable due to some of the challenges, needs to be corrected. So here, have a story about caffeine-addicted space kobolds venturing out into the stars. Pretty standard trans-Newtonian start, excited to bring y'all along for this!

Starting Conditions (some help formatting to get them embedded would be much appreciated)
https://imgur.com/a/SkOAmBU
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 04:22:23 PM by DrBladeSTEEL »

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, Garfunkel, Black, kks, bdub1, doodle_sm, BAGrimm, Warer

Offline kks

• Lieutenant
Very nice and interesting setup. Love how you tweaked the racial characteristics. 20x Pop Growth and 6x density. Wow. I guess the mineral transports will be quiet busy suppling It'ik K'ami.

Did you tweak Birthplace or is it generated as it is? It looks a little bit empty if one takes a Sol start as reference.

I look forward to you writings!

The following users thanked this post: bdub1

• Petty Officer
  • D
Did you tweak Birthplace or is it generated as it is? It looks a little bit empty if one takes a Sol start as reference.

Birthplace is generated as-is, though I did tweak the environment a little to make things work. If I get really stuck in terms of minerals I might tweak a planet or two in another system to help meet the shortage. No spoilers but the rest of the system is looking pretty juicy.

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, kks, bdub1

• Petty Officer
  • D
The following excerpts are taken from the notes of Zap’pap’pa Xi’lbip, scribe to the Western Forester’s Alliance delegation to the grand assembly. They have been compiled and translated by the imperial college of Xenology, and are not to be published externally.

Jan 0001 - Construction project queued to round out facility numbers. The Western Mining Co-Operative, Central Tak’kapi Rockdigger’s Guild, and United Dredging Co. each laying down three Zak'yi Ka'ahil class survey vessels as part of their agreement to fund the IMC. Party Boss Khassarapom Suphamongkhon of the EHMC, was picked to lead the startup.

Code: [Select]
Zak'yi Ka'ahil class Survey Vessel      5,000 tons       113 Crew       675.9 BP       TCS 100    TH 600    EM 0
6000 km/s      Armour 1-26       Shields 0-0       HTK 26      Sensors 12/12/1/1      DCR 4-8      PPV 0
Maint Life 2.12 Years     MSP 337    AFR 50%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 100    5YR 1,499    Max Repair 300 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Morale Check Required   

Srisa-arn Aero Engines Model 86 (1)    Power 600    Fuel Use 36.74%    Signature 600    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 464,000 Litres    Range 45.5 billion km (87 days at full power)

Sonakul-Sirikhanth 'Heat-Vent Sniffer' V7 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  27.4m km
Sonakul-Sirikhanth 'Lookie Lookie' V3 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  27.4m km
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Survey Ship for auto-assignment purposes

September 0001 - In preparation for the assured motherload of TN resources to be found beyond the stars, the IMC funds the purchase of three Po’kol class freighters:

Po'kol class Cargo Ship      100,000 tons       308 Crew       1,161.3 BP       TCS 2,000    TH 2,400    EM 0
1200 km/s      Armour 1-191       Shields 0-0       HTK 81      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1-0      PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 75 MSP
Cargo 70,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 4   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Pokai-udom-Sai-kua Super-60 Nuclear Gas-Core Thrust Plant (8)    Power 2400    Fuel Use 6.50%    Signature 300    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 1,056,000 Litres    Range 29.3 billion km (282 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Freighter for auto-assignment purposes

November 0001 - In a bit of a colonization fever, a grassroots organization going by the “United Front for New Nest Places” helpfully acronymed to UFNNP, funds the creation of a new colony ship through micro donations on a popular digital forum for explicit media with the ultimate goal of [UNPRINTABLE] [UNPRINTABLE] [UNPRINTABLE] on foreign planets for the good of the Kzzak’ri Grand Assembly! More conservative members of of the assembly are skeptical that such basal motivations could result in a functional society, but considering they were willing to foot the bill for two full colony ships no further objections were raised.

Tak'ko'gopp class Colonist Transport      100,000 tons       470 Crew       3,361.5 BP       TCS 2,000    TH 2,400    EM 0
1200 km/s      Armour 1-191       Shields 0-0       HTK 90      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1-0      PPV 0
MSP 21    Max Repair 400 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 280,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 4   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Pokai-udom-Sai-kua Super-60 Nuclear Gas-Core Thrust Plant (8)    Power 2400    Fuel Use 6.50%    Signature 300    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 821,000 Litres    Range 22.8 billion km (219 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Colony Ship for auto-assignment purposes

December 0001 - To the surprise of their detractors, the IMC’s initial geosurvey of the innermost systems reveal a bounty of minerals just waiting to be harvested! All three interior planets possessed at least one deposit of high-accessibility minerals in the Megatons, along with almost all other TN resources in varying degrees of accessibility. Additionally, two of the three moons of Birthplace 4, a gas giant, have revealed promising deposits of resources as well.

As if that was not enough to generate excitement amongst the hives, Birthplace 2 is also a suitable terraforming candidate, with acceptable (if somewhat low) gravity and an extensive hydrosphere. With this news, the grand assembly was thrown into a frenzy, many hives excitedly and hurriedly preparing to venture into the vast opportunities of space in hopes of fortune and adventure!

Final birthplace geosurvey:

Compilers Note: The lack of alarm over the paucity of Gallicite seems to demonstrate the naiveite of these Xenos, though some of the records cataloged by Rotham in A brief history of Kazzak’ri shipbuilding seem to demonstrate a understanding of the bottleneck it might create, along with an assumption that a source would be found during the second wave of expansion.

July 0003
New gateways to the stars have been discovered! Though the initial excitement is infectious, the reality is that Vipavvakind had no real way of stabilizing them, and no existing ships to open the subspace rifts between the systems via jump drive. While the bureau of ships got on about that, the Grand Assembly would simply have to focus on the settlement and exploitation of the Birthplace system.

October 005
While it took entirely too long for the colony ships to be finished, a brief dalliance with a new form of pinball machine having taken over and paralyzed the southwestern dockyard with ‘dinger fever’, colonists are now flowing in a heavy stream to Birthplace A-2, now renamed ‘Sisternest’ by the ever unimaginative UFNNP, and terraforming is now underway. The bureau of ships now are simply struggling with getting the R&D sorted for the Pak'ki Loppo'kol class Jump Tender, Kowit Wattana Aircraft Engine Co. still preoccupied with their new magnetic mirror fusion reactor to divert scientists to research their engine proposal.

Turns out that normal life-support systems don’t work very well in low gravity, such as on It’ik K’ami’s largest moon. After a few false starts, the new research colony finally begins to take hold. Terraforming of Sisternest is coming along well, the introduction of oxygen to the atmosphere having caused a bit of a runaway greenhouse effect that hopefully should settle out as anti-greenhouse gasses are added after the oxygen content is stabilized. Progress on interstellar travel has been glacial, but when your research teams get ahead of themselves and prove out a prototype for a 40kt vessel before the drives for your survey vessels, these things do happen. Another yard has taken the development of jump drives to task, one to be integrated directly into the future 7kt survey vessels rather than set aside as a jump tender.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 10:19:06 PM by DrBladeSTEEL »

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, Garfunkel, kks, bdub1, BAGrimm, Warer

• Petty Officer
  • D
Ok, why is that so stinkin small in the text?

The following users thanked this post: kks

Offline kks

• Lieutenant
Great writing! I really hope the Kzzak’ri Grand Assembly has a bright future in the stars!

I'm trying to find out how to best post images on here for my AAR, too. Over ten years and I do not seem to have done it yet...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Great writing! I really hope the Kzzak’ri Grand Assembly has a bright future in the stars!

I'm trying to find out how to best post images on here for my AAR, too. Over ten years and I do not seem to have done it yet...

I always post to Imgur (privately) and then use the links to images in AAR posts. Imgur is not as great and easy to use as it once was, but it is free, does not delete old images as far as I know, and unlike Photobucket et al they will not watermark your images causing frustration for future readers.

I strongly recommend to prefer some external hosting solution instead of attaching images to forum posts, as the latter approach apparently can run afoul of forum space limits and Erik might purge your images in the future to reduce space usage.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Seconded. For Aurora purposes, Imgur is great for the reasons nuclearslurpee mentioned since players are generally only posting a handful of images per post, if even that.

• Petty Officer
  • D
Re: The Grand Assembly of Hive and Guilds - A story of little buggy bois
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2024, 10:28:14 AM »
Unfortunately it appears my save got corrupted when I migrated my aurora folder during a factory reset, I'm going to recreate the game as best as I can, but some details might not quite line up from earlier posts. Still very much wanting to play these little tweakers though, so stay tuned!