Author Topic: Please help, what am i doing wrong?  (Read 513 times)

Offline shatterstar (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Please help, what am i doing wrong?
« on: September 02, 2024, 12:25:24 AM »
In my previous game, I was able to target the raiders no problem. Once I allocated my weapons, the ship showed up as a potential target and I was able to fire weapons no problem once i allocated my beam weapons to fire controls.

However in this game I have not ever been able to target anything. In my first encounter with the raiders, I noticed the ship didn't show up as a target even though he was well within range of my MFC, but I thought maybe that was just because my ship did not have any offensive missiles (it was dropping surveillance buoys).

Later, I managed to get in range of the same ship with a missile destroyer armed with offensive missiles and fully prepared, and our MFCs still would not track him. Okay, fair enough, I've never used missiles in combat before so I guess I designed them wrong or something.

(image of the incident in question, a daring rescue mission that could have ended with revenge as well)

This time, the bastard is in my home system and just absolutely shredded all my civilian ships (which was frustrating but entirely my fault). Now I have 6 laser armed destroyers with basically a longer range version of the same beam fire control from the last game where I successfully killed the ship, and still no one will target the damned thing. I don't have Electronic warfare capability in this game but I didn't in the previous one either and that didn't prevent me from targeting the ship, so what gives?

(he can target me, i can't target him? ???

(who's piloting these ships? Ikari Shinji? ???)

This happened right after my missile destroyer, armed with a compliment of offensive missiles, was totally unable to target an incoming group of 8 precursor laser missiles despite being them being basically right in the fleet's teeth. I mean I didn't expect them to be able to hit the missiles but I'm shocked that they didn't even show up as a target at all despite being just a couple thousand km away from the ships before firing. And this happened with multiple waves of missiles.

I'm at my wit's end. Why is nothing hostile showing up as a target? What am I overlooking? ??? ??? ??? ???

also yes it's windows 7, i'm spending the holiday playing this on my moms' old office computer. works fantastic!

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter :
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter :
Re: Please help, what am i doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 02:25:47 AM »
Do you have your Active Sensors on?

If the answer is yes, than your Resolution 120 sensor is ment to detect 6000t ship at a distance of 30 Mkm. (your target is smaller)
Your missile sensor is to week for that ship I think.

Solution would be to design a sensor of Resolution around 20 or even 18.

Attach your game DB, maybe...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 02:28:50 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: shatterstar

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 02:39:02 AM »
You can't target it because you don't have a contact on active sensors.

You have a resolution-1 sensor on your ship, which will detect the target, regardless of size, at 6.2m km. Based on the weapon range displayed on the screenshots, it is less than 120k away so should be detected if active sensors are on.

Check the ship list for the fleet and make sure there is an A in the Status column, If not, press the 'Active On' button.

The following users thanked this post: shatterstar

Offline shatterstar (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 06:18:14 AM »
You can't target it because you don't have a contact on active sensors.

You have a resolution-1 sensor on your ship, which will detect the target, regardless of size, at 6.2m km. Based on the weapon range displayed on the screenshots, it is less than 120k away so should be detected if active sensors are on.

Check the ship list for the fleet and make sure there is an A in the Status column, If not, press the 'Active On' button.

yup, sensors weren't on. i think in my previous game i had been using the fleet movement orders "turn on active sensors". this way is much better. thank you!

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley