Author Topic: Suggestion: Mothball Fleet  (Read 1936 times)

Offline shatterstar (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Suggestion: Mothball Fleet
« on: September 04, 2024, 08:52:11 AM »
Feature Suggestion: Mothball Fleet Order

What:
  • A feature that will allow players to suspend maintenance of a set of ships with the prospect of reactivating them at a later date. This will emulate the real world naval practice of "mothballing" ships, leaving the hulls in the water but removing parts that require active maintenance.

Who:
  • Players with the maintenance feature turned on.

When:
  • Fleets are only eligible for mothballing when undamaged.

Where:
This can work a number of different ways depending on how you choose to implement with respect to balance and feel, but I imagine it can only happen at
  • A world with at least one maintenance facility AND refuelling station
  • Any location where there is an available tanker/refuelling hub and maintenance ship/refuelling hub which have capacity to absorb all remaining fuel and MSP from the fleet.

Why:
  • Even when orbiting a maintenance facility, ships can suffer breakdowns if they exceed maintenance capacity. Players may see a temporarily reduced need for certain specialized ships but not want to go to the trouble of scrapping and rebuilding them.
  • Players may also want to roleplay a race or nation that is too cheap or paranoid or gets attatched to certain ships and does not want to destroy them.
  • Players may want to create a strategic reserve of old ships that needs to be protected (in a similar way that IRL nations keep a strategic stockpile of tanks and IFVs).
  • Players may want to create a ship graveyard that can be salvaged by themselves or others (or used for target practice!).

How: An order "Mothball Fleet" from the fleet movement order list that is available when a colony or fleet has the requisite installations or components, and a corresponding order "Reactivate Mothballed Fleet"
Mothball Fleet Order
I envision this process as follows:
  • Each ship is emptied of fuel at a rate commensurate with local fuel transfer, which goes to the planet or deactivating fleet's fuel stocks. If there is not enough capacity, the process is cancelled.
  • Each ship is emptied of MSP at a rate commensurate with local MSP transfer, which goes to the planet or deactivating fleet's MSP stocks. If there is not enough capacity, the process is cancelled.
  • Officers are removed from each ship.
  • An additional length of time passes that scales with the BP of each ship in the fleet.
  • The fleet is now mothballed, which could be indicated with an [M] symbol similar to the [OV] overhaul designation.

Mothballed Fleet Mechanics
  • Suffers either a zero or vastly reduced maintenance requirement.
  • Cannot be assigned crew.
  • Cannot be given orders except for "Reactivate Mothballed Fleet" (and only that if orbiting a planet capable of restoring Fuel and MSP).
  • Can be attacked and destroyed as normal
  • Has a near-zero thermal and EM signature
  • Can be salvaged.

Reactivate Mothballed Fleet Order
This order can be given to a fleet that is stationed at a planet which is capable of restoring Fuel and MSP OR a fleet which is capable of restoring BOTH fuel and MSP that is collocated with a mothballed fleet. I envision this process as follows:
  • An additional length of time passes that scales with the BP of each ship in the fleet, at a rate that is at least one and a half times slower than the Mothballing process. This is to reflect the general entropy involved in having spent significant time unmoving, but could also scale with the time spent mothballed.
  • Each ship is resupplied wtih MSP at a rate commensurate with local MSP transfer, which comes from the planet or reactivating fleet's MSP stocks. If there is not enough capacity, the process is cancelled.
  • Each ship is refuelled at a rate commensurate with local fuel transfer, which comes from the planet or reactivating fleet's fuel stocks. If there is not enough capacity, the process is cancelled.
  • The fleet is no longer mothballed, with any indicators removed. It begins using MSP again as normal.

Alternate ideas and suggestions:
  • Mothballing could also be a temporary status like overhauling that just lasts for a certain period of time, if that's easier to implement.
  • Ships could take periodic damage (from micrometeorites and so on) during mothball that has to be repaired afterward.

I hope you liked the format of this suggestion!

The following users thanked this post: bdub1

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: Suggestion: Mothball Fleet
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 10:19:22 AM »
Feature Suggestion: Mothball Fleet Order
(...)

I love it. And I love the format.

I would offer one very minor refinement:
Restoring a ship from mothballed status should not require refueling or resupplying the ship.

Reasoning:
1) I often have military designs with a larger fuel and/or MSP capacity than is needed for the ship to be operational. Carriers and tankers, for example.
2) I might prefer to keep mothballed ships at a colony that does not have refuel/resupply capability.

The following users thanked this post: bdub1

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 07:49:41 PM »
This has been proposed numerous times and the problem is that it basically creates a way for the player to ignore the balancing act between economy, logistics and military power. Because you can build ships endlessly straight to mothballing, and then activate them when you need them.

Just turn maintenance off and the only limit to your military might is wealth and shipyards.

The following users thanked this post: Steve Walmsley, Marski, doodle_sm, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 10:52:39 PM »
This has been proposed numerous times and the problem is that it basically creates a way for the player to ignore the balancing act between economy, logistics and military power. Because you can build ships endlessly straight to mothballing, and then activate them when you need them.

Just turn maintenance off and the only limit to your military might is wealth and shipyards.

Please listen to this man so I don't have to effortpost in this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero, Zap0, Snoman314

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 10:46:30 AM »

Please listen to this man so I don't have to effortpost in this thread.

You should just turn it into a copy-pasta like the navy seals one and paste it everytime the topic of mothballs comes up.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 12:27:13 PM »

Mothballing can be implemented in a way that gives the player an additional option for long-term fleet management without eliminating strategic planning.

You can charge a (reduced) maintenance cost for mothballed ships, and you can impose performance penalties for a period of time after activation.

"Activate them when you need them" is not a tactical option if the activation process requires time roughly commensurate with build time.
To constrain ramp-up speed, you could require a shipyard for activation.
Activation would then exist as part of the balancing act, alongside ship construction.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 07:29:42 PM »
Yet in twenty years nobody has figured out a method that would convince Steve. I'm not against such a mechanic because it has been done IRL, though not as much as some people commonly believe, and it is a plot point in at least a few sci-fi stories. But again, Aurora has been around for at least twenty years at this point, this has been suggested too many times to count, yet Steve has not implemented it or anything like it. Just trying to manage the expectations of newer players.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 07:49:58 PM »
Yet in twenty years nobody has figured out a method that would convince Steve. I'm not against such a mechanic because it has been done IRL, though not as much as some people commonly believe, and it is a plot point in at least a few sci-fi stories. But again, Aurora has been around for at least twenty years at this point, this has been suggested too many times to count, yet Steve has not implemented it or anything like it. Just trying to manage the expectations of newer players.

We used to have an mothball feature in this game...
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 08:50:39 PM »

We used to have an mothball feature in this game...

In a very early version which was more or less a Starfire clone, and it got taken out pretty quickly, IIRC.

All exaggerated whining on my part aside, the best idea I've seen for mothballing is to make it require a slipway for each mothballed ship. This still doesn't solve the build-directly-into-mothballs problem, but it at least somewhat balances the economic aspects.

IRL, the reason we don't build directly into mothballs is because the politicians control the shipbuilding budget, and they insist on only paying for ships they will actually use, even if for low-intensity missions purely to keep up morale, soft power, and crew training standards. In Aurora, we have no such constraints.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2024, 10:35:58 PM »
I mean, prebuilding components really isn't that far off if you think about it. I know some people just disassemble and reassemble some specialty ships on an as needed basis. I suppose you could add a component for a ship representing the chassis, and if one is available further reduce build time that way to represent mothballing.

I do like the idea of being able to stash a large fleet for times of need rather than having to devote a gigantic amount of facility and manpower resources to keeping everything at action stations constantly. Even if it was something like taking say, half the maintenance capacity of being active and costing time to pull from mothballs would be an improvement.

I don't really see how building to mothballs is a problem, as long as the reactivation process takes enough time that balancing having active units against reactivation time is an actual concern. Say it takes, I dunno, half the build time, with a minimum based on size of ship, possibly modified by shipbuilding tech. If your ship takes 3 years to build, then it would take 1.5 years to pull from mothballs, all told you've spent 4.5 years with the ship in various forms of under construction, to say nothing of any incidental costs mothballing might take. It ain't gonna save you if the Spoilers are in Sol, or prevent losses in the immediate term, it only means you get to respond to some threats faster, and only if your mothballed fleet is even competitive to do so.

The following users thanked this post: Tavik Toth, bdub1, Snoman314, SinisterMinister

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 04:54:07 AM »
For mothballing to be an effective game mechanic, there have to be situations where it turns out to be a bad idea, either economically or strategically.

Currently, to maintain a ship costs you 1/4 of the build points in MSP each year, or 1/16th of the ship cost in wealth and key minerals (40% Duranium, 40% Gallicite and 20% Uridium). You need to use construction factories to build maintenance facilities, which in turn provide maintenance capacity for the ships and production capacity for the MSP, or you can use shipyards or construction factories to build ships/stations with maintenance modules. You also need to provide workers for the industry and the maintenance facilities. On top of all that, you need to provide the necessary fuel and MSP for the ships themselves, plus any ordnance they carry. In my current campaign, I had to postpone military campaigns for a couple of years due to fuel shortage. Finally, most people tend to keep ships relatively up to date, so you also spend wealth and resources on multiple refits, which increases the total cost of the ships even more.

Devoting all that to maintaining and refitting your fleet is preventing you doing something else with the resources and industrial capacity, which means creating a fleet that balances military need with economic considerations is a major ongoing challenge, with numerous factors involved. I haven't built any new ships for a while, partly because I had a fleet that allowed me to meet my military commitments but also due to a severe shortage of Gallicite. In fact, I have had to turn off maintenance production for several months at a time to try to balance that need for MSP with producing the freighters and colony ships required to build up new mining colonies, to provide the minerals I need to keep the economy going. Suddenly due to 'events', I find myself with many different demands on the fleet and not enough ships to meet them. To complicate things further, I have recently started a refit program, so finding the capacity and resources to build new ships at the same time is a challenge. This isn't a 'Right Now' problem. I am just over-stretched and that is likely to be the case for several years until I can correct the strategic imbalance.

I use my battleships and carriers mainly for offensive operations. When deployed defensively, I rarely commit many of them together. Apart from recently, I have had sufficient light forces and surface batteries to protect colonies in most situations and Earth in almost all reasonable situations. Known space is 270 systems and I have an extensive buoy network, so trouble on the frontier, while locally annoying, is usually years away from becoming an existential threat. Even though I am currently facing ten active NPRs and spoilers, five of which are hostile, most of my major warships still spend a lot of time in Earth orbit before being deployed for a specific purpose.

If some form of mothballing was available, many of those challenges and decisions would not exist. I could have created a mothball fleet for most of the battleships and carriers and spent the 'fleet maintenance and refit' resources on improving my economy, or building additional commercial vessels, or building 2-3x more ships in storage than I would have had otherwise. My Gallicite shortage would very likely not have happened, along with all the associated consequences, and my strategic imbalance would be solved relatively easily. I would not fear a major threat with my large mothball fleet available when needed, so creating a large active military available to respond to threats, with all the planning that entails, would not be needed.

Mothballing will also limit strategic choices in fleet design. If you want to create a mothball fleet that can be reactivated years later and still be effective, you would design the ships on that basis. Therefore, you would build carriers and missile combatants, because those can be made much more effective by adding modern fighters and ordnance. It would not make strategic sense to build beam ships that would be completely outclassed without a major refit that would likely cost the same as a new ship anyway. So mothballing will drive you down specific research and fleet doctrine routes.

Even if we had mothballing, finding the right balance is extremely difficult. It has to be a decision that can turn out to be incorrect in certain situations. That 'situation' cannot be simply 'what if aliens attack Earth at short notice', because is it very unlikely an attack of sufficient force to overwhelm reasonable defences would happen without significant warning. No one is going to mothball everything. In economic terms, it's also difficult to create an economic or time-based penalty that is sufficient to make mothballing a real decision without also making it more expensive than simply pre-stockpiling components and building new ships when needed.

In summary, while mothballing does have some mechanics issues, it is really a 'removing challenges and limiting choices' problem.

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, Andrew, Marski, Kiero, Snoman314, nuclearslurpee, shatterstar

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2024, 08:10:40 PM »
If some form of mothballing was available, many of those challenges and decisions would not exist. I could have created a mothball fleet for most of the battleships and carriers and spent the 'fleet maintenance and refit' resources on improving my economy, or building additional commercial vessels, or building 2-3x more ships in storage than I would have had otherwise. My Gallicite shortage would very likely not have happened, along with all the associated consequences, and my strategic imbalance would be solved relatively easily. I would not fear a major threat with my large mothball fleet available when needed, so creating a large active military available to respond to threats, with all the planning that entails, would not be needed.

You say that as if mothballing could not possibly take a form that would not obviate those challenges.

If mothballing saves you 100% of the upkeep cost and if reactivation requires only a strategically trivial amount of time, then yes, mothballing does not represent an interesting decision.

But what if mothballing (and reactivating) takes a lot of time and resources?
In particular, what if mothballing and reactivating both require a shipyard?
What if the slipway remains in use while the ship is mothballed, until the ship is reactivated?
What if each process takes twice as long as building the ship from scratch?
What if each process requires Gallicite equal to the BP of the ship?

Under those requirements, "building for mothball" would hardly be an attractive way of establishing strategic long-term security.
Instead, mothballing a portion of an existing fleet would be an option worth considering after using a very large fleet to secure victory in a major war and no longer facing extensive near-or-midterm threats.

Mothballing will also limit strategic choices in fleet design. If you want to create a mothball fleet that can be reactivated years later and still be effective, you would design the ships on that basis. Therefore, you would build carriers and missile combatants, because those can be made much more effective by adding modern fighters and ordnance. It would not make strategic sense to build beam ships that would be completely outclassed without a major refit that would likely cost the same as a new ship anyway. So mothballing will drive you down specific research and fleet doctrine routes.

The long-term design viability of missile ships and carriers vs beam ships is already a strategic consideration.
But the longer a given game goes on, the longer the time gap between significant tech upgrades.
As that time gap increases, the strategic relevance of long-term viability concerns for different ship types decreases.
Mothballing, if expensive, won't significantly change that dynamic.
In the early game, mothballing might be a more attractive option for some ship types than others.
But if mothballing is expensive up front (with, say, a breakeven time in the neighborhood of five years vs constant ship maintenance) it won't be an attractive option in the early game for any ship type.
Once you've climbed up the tech curve a little ways, the decades-long gaps between tech upgrades makes economics the major factor in the mothballing decision. Ship-type longevity won't matter as much.

Even if we had mothballing, finding the right balance is extremely difficult. It has to be a decision that can turn out to be incorrect in certain situations. That 'situation' cannot be simply 'what if aliens attack Earth at short notice', because is it very unlikely an attack of sufficient force to overwhelm reasonable defences would happen without significant warning. No one is going to mothball everything. In economic terms, it's also difficult to create an economic or time-based penalty that is sufficient to make mothballing a real decision without also making it more expensive than simply pre-stockpiling components and building new ships when needed.

In summary, while mothballing does have some mechanics issues, it is really a 'removing challenges and limiting choices' problem.

It's hard to argue with you here.

Stockpiling components (via scrapping or via building new) can be seen as providing, at least partially, the same functionality as mothballing.
You get a shortened lead time for creation of a future fleet in exchange for some build cost now and no upkeep cost.

Maybe we just haven't formulated a complete picture of what a "good" implementation of mothballing might look like.
What if we think of stockpiling as the poor man's mothballing?
That implies a version of mothballing that is "better" than stockpiling components, but is harder/more expensive to achieve.
Perhaps it requires some tech or infrastructure investment and some ongoing costs.
But what could it provide in return?
It seems like it can only reduce up front costs or reduce the lead time for ships becoming available.

I don't know, maybe there's some other strategic or logistical flexibility that mothballing could provide to differentiate it from component stockpiling, but I'm out of brain for today.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2024, 05:46:07 AM »

You say that as if mothballing could not possibly take a form that would not obviate those challenges.

If mothballing saves you 100% of the upkeep cost and if reactivation requires only a strategically trivial amount of time, then yes, mothballing does not represent an interesting decision.

But what if mothballing (and reactivating) takes a lot of time and resources?
In particular, what if mothballing and reactivating both require a shipyard?
What if the slipway remains in use while the ship is mothballed, until the ship is reactivated?
What if each process takes twice as long as building the ship from scratch?
What if each process requires Gallicite equal to the BP of the ship?

Under those requirements, "building for mothball" would hardly be an attractive way of establishing strategic long-term security.
Instead, mothballing a portion of an existing fleet would be an option worth considering after using a very large fleet to secure victory in a major war and no longer facing extensive near-or-midterm threats.

The long-term design viability of missile ships and carriers vs beam ships is already a strategic consideration.
But the longer a given game goes on, the longer the time gap between significant tech upgrades.
As that time gap increases, the strategic relevance of long-term viability concerns for different ship types decreases.
Mothballing, if expensive, won't significantly change that dynamic.
In the early game, mothballing might be a more attractive option for some ship types than others.
But if mothballing is expensive up front (with, say, a breakeven time in the neighborhood of five years vs constant ship maintenance) it won't be an attractive option in the early game for any ship type.
Once you've climbed up the tech curve a little ways, the decades-long gaps between tech upgrades makes economics the major factor in the mothballing decision. Ship-type longevity won't matter as much.

It's hard to argue with you here.

Stockpiling components (via scrapping or via building new) can be seen as providing, at least partially, the same functionality as mothballing.
You get a shortened lead time for creation of a future fleet in exchange for some build cost now and no upkeep cost.

Maybe we just haven't formulated a complete picture of what a "good" implementation of mothballing might look like.
What if we think of stockpiling as the poor man's mothballing?
That implies a version of mothballing that is "better" than stockpiling components, but is harder/more expensive to achieve.
Perhaps it requires some tech or infrastructure investment and some ongoing costs.
But what could it provide in return?
It seems like it can only reduce up front costs or reduce the lead time for ships becoming available.

I don't know, maybe there's some other strategic or logistical flexibility that mothballing could provide to differentiate it from component stockpiling, but I'm out of brain for today.

With regard to your first point, I address it at the end. I don't see how you establish an economic consideration that makes mothballing a real decision, while still making it cheaper than just stockpiling components.

On the second point, there is a major difference in design considerations between building a ship you expect to use now, and one you plan to put in reserve for 20-30 years.

It sounds like you are looking at mothballing as something that would happen in a WW2 situation, where a major war has been fought, for which you built a lot of ships you no longer need, so you want to store them just in-case. However, whatever rules are created for that situation also allows people to build straight into mothballs, avoiding most of the economic considerations for building a fleet. While there are a few examples of a country reactivating mothballed ships - the US battleships for example - there are no examples of nations building major fleets straight into mothballs to save money on maintenance.

To convince me that mothballing mechanics would make the game better (additional interesting decisions), it needs to allow the former (real mothballing of ships built for a real purpose), while avoiding the latter (building straight into mothballs to save money), while making it a real economic and strategic decision (it could turn out badly) while also somehow making it more effective than stockpiling components (building them or scrapping existing ships) and subsequently fast-building a new ship when needed. That solution cannot include arbitrary rules like 'ships built less than 5 years ago cannot go into mothballs'.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, skoormit, nuclearslurpee

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2024, 02:32:50 PM »
"That solution cannot include arbitrary rules like 'ships built less than 5 years ago cannot go into mothballs"

Actually, perhaps it could? Just as you have the realistic commander promotions setting during game creation, there could be a "realistic mothball setting" to represent the political difficulties inherent in building to mothballs?

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2024, 02:39:06 PM »
To convince me that mothballing mechanics would make the game better (additional interesting decisions), it needs to allow the former (real mothballing of ships built for a real purpose), while avoiding the latter (building straight into mothballs to save money), while making it a real economic and strategic decision (it could turn out badly) while also somehow making it more effective than stockpiling components (building them or scrapping existing ships) and subsequently fast-building a new ship when needed. That solution cannot include arbitrary rules like 'ships built less than 5 years ago cannot go into mothballs'.

And if a formulation of mechanics meets these criteria, it must also not be overly complex to implement and test, and must not add significantly to turn generation times.

From the hip, then:

Code: [Select]
A ship may only be mothballed if it has no damaged armor or components and it has a maintenance clock of zero.
Mothballing a ship requires a slipway in a yard that can build that ship.
The base time for mothballing is twice the build time for the design. (Reduced same as shipbuilding time by tech and governor/sector Shipbuilding bonus.)
Mothballing has a mineral cost and BP cost. (Perhaps 12.5% of the ship's BP, and the same amount in Gallicite.)
When a ship begins mothballing:
     all officers are unassigned
     all crew are returned to the pool
     all fuel, msp, ordnance, cargo, and parasites are returned to the colony
     crew and fleet training are reset to minimum values
Cancelling the mothball process provides fresh crew from the pool, and incurs performance penalties the same as abandoning overhaul.
While a ship is mothballed:
     the ship does not require maintenance capacity, does not consume MSP, and does not suffer maintenance failures
     the slipway remains in use.
          it cannot be used for new construction or to perform a task on any ship other than the mothballed ship.
          if the colony's manufacturing efficiency modifier is ever below 100%, the ship has a chance to suffer maintenance failures--perhaps equivalent to an IFR of (100% - manufacturing efficiency)
     the ship cannot move (by itself or via tractor beam)
     the shipyard cannot move (i.e. cannot be engaged by a tractor beam)
     the shipyard may only be retooled to a design to which the mothballed ship may be refit
     if the shipyard is destroyed, the ship is destroyed
     the ship may be refit. (following normal refit rules, and the ship remains mothballed during and after.)
     the ship may be scrapped. (following normal scrapping rules).
     the ship may be activated.
     only the engaged slipway may perform the above tasks.

The base time for activation is the same as for mothballing. (Reduced in same way.)
Activation has a mineral cost and BP cost. (Perhaps same cost as mothballing?)
If the activation process is cancelled, the ship remains mothballed.

This formulation provides strategic pros and cons vs stockpiling (can refit mothballed ships to keep up with tech change, but requires a slipway and takes more lead time to bring ships online), and makes building-to-mothball strictly worse than waiting to build as needed.
Seems like it would be an option to weigh vs scrapping when your fleet size is in excess of your immediate needs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 02:44:07 PM by skoormit »