Author Topic: Low Tech  (Read 1426 times)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Low Tech
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
Ummmm how to I upgrade a ground unit from low tech to high tech?  I've looked on industry, GU training, and GU screens and can't find it.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Low Tech
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Ummmm how to I upgrade a ground unit from low tech to high tech?  I've looked on industry, GU training, and GU screens and can't find it.
At the moment it can't be done. That could be because TNT is too complex for upgrade or possibly because I haven't got around to that yet :)

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Ah - I guess I should rename the armored units to e.g 1st ACF (Armored Cannon Fodder) then :-)

Things are going very smoothly so far - started with 1billion pop (single earth race).  Took 6 months to researth TNT; now I'm converting my industry over.

I asked for hidden NPRs during setup - I know they're out there doing something, since I'm running 5 day updates with 6 hour increments - every now and then I get a 2:18 update, which I assume means that an NPR had an event.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Ah - I guess I should rename the armored units to e.g 1st ACF (Armored Cannon Fodder) then :-)

Things are going very smoothly so far - started with 1billion pop (single earth race).  Took 6 months to researth TNT; now I'm converting my industry over.

I asked for hidden NPRs during setup - I know they're out there doing something, since I'm running 5 day updates with 6 hour increments - every now and then I get a 2:18 update, which I assume means that an NPR had an event.
I am not sure what you mean by a 2:18 update.

Also you may find that some increments get cut short. With all human-controlled races, the player can control time to ensure opposing fleets close at a suitable rate. With NPRs using the v3.2 code, you could potentially hit 1 day and find a hostile dreadnought is now 100 meters from your flagship. So Aurora now looks at a lot of the fleet and missile movement before it runs the increment, checks for possible interactions and reduces increment length appropriately if it thinks there is going to be an interaction between two races, or a ship will enter detection range of another ship/pop. This was one of the major pieces of coding for v.40B and it will be interesting to see how well it works out.

Steve

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
I am not sure what you mean by a 2:18 update.

Also you may find that some increments get cut short. With all human-controlled races, the player can control time to ensure opposing fleets close at a suitable rate. With NPRs using the v3.2 code, you could potentially hit 1 day and find a hostile dreadnought is now 100 meters from your flagship. So Aurora now looks at a lot of the fleet and missile movement before it runs the increment, checks for possible interactions and reduces increment length appropriately if it thinks there is going to be an interaction between two races, or a ship will enter detection range of another ship/pop. This was one of the major pieces of coding for v.40B and it will be interesting to see how well it works out.
That was what I meant - 2 days, 18 hours, rather than the 5 days I punched.  I've set the increment size to 6 hours, so it looks like (so far) I've not seen the increment-size AI that you're talking about.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
Another thing I thought was there that you might not have gotten around to yet.  I thought you had introduced a non-TNT engine tech, so a pre-TNT race could have REALLY SLOW survey ships.  Not a big deal if you haven't done it - I'll have engines researched soon, EXCEPT:

Soon after I researched TNT, those pesky civilians decided to build a space center.  I haven't seen any problems yet, but I'm a little concerned that I might hit a bug when they try to build a civilian cargo or survey ship and discover that these are impossible due to a lack of the appropriate design.  I had already hit "new" on the Class Design (F5) screen which created a hull with no engines, so I added an ICBM control system to make it a non-civilian design (so those pesky civilians wouldn't try to build on).

John