Author Topic: Official v4.7 Bugs Thread  (Read 25665 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v4.7 Bugs (Current Official Bugs Thread)
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: "Magnnus"
when I click on a fleet in the side bar (either military on system map or oob in galactic map) the task groups screen that pops up is placed behind my current screen (system map or galactic map).

I know its minor, but I figured that if you already know what the problem could be it would be a minute fix  :D .
Try right-clicking on the OOB and see if that makes a difference.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Steve, I think there may be a bug with the code that the AI races use when setting up research prjects.  I was looking at starting AI race using Designer Mode and I noticed that of 12 research projects currently active only 4 were using scientists that had a bonus in that field.  The other eight are using scientists who zero bonus in the field being researched and there are plenty of un-employed scientists who do have the requisite bonuses.
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Steve, I think there may be a bug with the code that the AI races use when setting up research prjects.  I was looking at starting AI race using Designer Mode and I noticed that of 12 research projects currently active only 4 were using scientists that had a bonus in that field.  The other eight are using scientists who zero bonus in the field being researched and there are plenty of un-employed scientists who do have the requisite bonuses.
Thanks, I will look at the code. Is it possible the projects in question had been going a long time and the unemployed scientists were more recent arrivals?

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Thanks, I will look at the code. Is it possible the projects in question had been going a long time and the unemployed scientists were more recent arrivals?

Steve
The thought had occured to me but the game has only been running for 4 months and 24 days of game time and there are multiple scientists available for each field.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:26:53 PM by welchbloke »
Welchbloke

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Magnnus"
when I click on a fleet in the side bar (either military on system map or oob in galactic map) the task groups screen that pops up is placed behind my current screen (system map or galactic map).

I know its minor, but I figured that if you already know what the problem could be it would be a minute fix  :D .
Try right-clicking on the OOB and see if that makes a difference.

Steve

Huh... weird... that works, thanks.

Offline Kael

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »
Not sure if this was posted before because the thread is huge.

From the DF forums:
Guys, I don't know, maybe it only happens on my machine but it seems quite weird to me - if you change some existing ship's design e.g. adding more engines or weapons, immediately in Ships window -> Ship Design Display you can see that the actual ships of this class gained these components and moreover they can use them in game like no refit or anything was needed. (playing default Terran Campaign)

I tested this and confirmed this bug on my machine too. i7 920 running win7 64bit. I had a few Argonaut class geo survey vessels, small light ships with no weapons. I was designing a new Athena class warship with missile launchers and the works. So I made the changes to the Argonaut class to test the bug and exited the ship design screen.

Sure enough, when I checked the existing ships screen through the Battle Fleet menu, it showed that my Argonaut class ships magically gained missile launchers, shields, and all sorts of other goodies.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »
Quote from: "Kael"

From the DF forums:
Guys, I don't know, maybe it only happens on my machine but it seems quite weird to me - if you change some existing ship's design e.g. adding more engines or weapons, immediately in Ships window -> Ship Design Display you can see that the actual ships of this class gained these components and moreover they can use them in game like no refit or anything was needed. (playing default Terran Campaign)

I tested this and confirmed this bug on my machine too. i7 920 running win7 64bit. I had a few Argonaut class geo survey vessels, small light ships with no weapons. I was designing a new Athena class warship with missile launchers and the works. So I made the changes to the Argonaut class to test the bug and exited the ship design screen.

Sure enough, when I checked the existing ships screen through the Battle Fleet menu, it showed that my Argonaut class ships magically gained missile launchers, shields, and all sorts of other goodies.

That's more of a "feature" than a "bug". This behavior has been in place since version 0.x :)

And yes, I've been known to use this to provide "free" refits to ships at times.

Offline Kael

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Heh. Good to know. We recommended to anyone who didn't want to have that happen create a new class "Argonaut Mk. 2/B" etc.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »
Heh. Good to know. We recommended to anyone who didn't want to have that happen create a new class "Argonaut Mk. 2/B" etc.

That is the preferred method when creating a Mk2 version of a ship. Bring up the ship, click Copy (at the bottom), modify it, rename and lock.

Offline Darkone

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

That is the preferred method when creating a Mk2 version of a ship. Bring up the ship, click Copy (at the bottom), modify it, rename and lock.
Have not tested yet, but will removing said items remove them from the ships, in case you accidently added them and do not wish to have an unfair advantage? ;)

Possible bug, google search of the forums (dratted "too common" search terms!) shows nothing, but if you auto-rename a ship repeatedly, it's apparently removing the ship names from the list, even when they aren't used? I get a "no new names found" error when I've only used 2 ship names.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Quote from: "Darkone"

Have not tested yet, but will removing said items remove them from the ships, in case you accidently added them and do not wish to have an unfair advantage? ;)

Possible bug, google search of the forums (dratted "too common" search terms!) shows nothing, but if you auto-rename a ship repeatedly, it's apparently removing the ship names from the list, even when they aren't used? I get a "no new names found" error when I've only used 2 ship names.

Any changes to a design, either additions or subtractions, will affect any ships of that design in service.

Yes, auto-rename does consume the names "rejected". Did you use the "create sample ships" on the game options? And some themes have a lot less names than others.

Personally, I'd like the name selection routine to randomly pick a name from the theme list, and mark it used when the ship is locked.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »

From the DF forums:

This happened to me on my first few goes and I screamed in the forums thinking I had found a bug, but alas all I had found was that I should have locked the designs :)

What I do now is design the ship and when I have happy with it hit lock and try to never unlock it again for the rest of the game.

Offline Darkone

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Yes, auto-rename does consume the names "rejected". Did you use the "create sample ships" on the game options? And some themes have a lot less names than others.

Personally, I'd like the name selection routine to randomly pick a name from the theme list, and mark it used when the ship is locked.
No, just auto-renamed many times on the first ship  :P

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »

Yep, after you're done designing the class, you're supposed to lock it.  Note that that makes the design tab go away :-)  It also ensures that you don't have any design errors - if the button is greyed out (you can't lock it), then you should look in the panel to the right 'cuz something's probably wrong (e.g. not enough crew quarters).  Note that you can push the same button to unlock the design - the locking is intended to protect you from accidentally changing a design that's bound to actual ships.

STEVE - I vote that unlocked classes give an error message if you try to refit a SY to build them, or if you try to build one in a SY.  That would both prevent the "Why did my ship design change" error, and its partner "Why doesn't the class I just designed show up as a possibility for retooling" (which would start turning up if you just silently removed unlocked designs from the list).

John

Offline Earl Grey

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
I get error... 91, I think, whenever I choose ship or PDC in the ship design screen