Author Topic: Do I have Uranium sat on my desk?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Do I have Uranium sat on my desk?
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:08:37 AM »
On my desk I have a round from the GAU-8 Avenger cannon fitted on the A-10. This cannon fires the PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary (DU) round, PGU-13/B HEI High explosive incendiary and PGU-15/B TP Target Practice.

How do I find out which one I have?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-14.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-13.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-15.htm

The top half of mine is silver with no markings but the bottom half is the same green colour as the DU round. It is also fairly heavy. I just wondering if there was any chance I have had depleted uranium on my desk for the last ten years? :)

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Do I have Uranium sat on my desk?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
On my desk I have a round from the GAU-8 Avenger cannon fitted on the A-10. This cannon fires the PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary (DU) round, PGU-13/B HEI High explosive incendiary and PGU-15/B TP Target Practice.

How do I find out which one I have?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-14.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-13.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-15.htm

The top half of mine is silver with no markings but the bottom half is the same green colour as the DU round. It is also fairly heavy. I just wondering if there was any chance I have had depleted uranium on my desk for the last ten years? :)

Steve
Steve,
If you have a unfired 'live' round I would expect a visit from the Plod or the Bomb squad as keeping one is illegal (IIRC). That aside are there any batch or manufacturers numbers on the casing anywhere?  I would have expected to see it on the base of the round somewhere near the firing pin.
Welchbloke

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
If you have a unfired 'live' round I would expect a visit from the Plod or the Bomb squad as keeping one is illegal (IIRC). That aside are there any batch or manufacturers numbers on the casing anywhere?  I would have expected to see it on the base of the round somewhere near the firing pin.
There are two lines of numbers on the base:

28107310-Y
USE 581.017-314

Not sure about the 581 section as that is badly obscured

If it turns out to be live then I will gladly drop it in at the local police station :)

Steve

Offline sluissa

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »
Don't take my word for it, I'm not expert. Just judging by the links, I'd say you probably have a casing from a DU shell that's been reloaded with a target practice slug. Odds are if someone did that, they didn't reload it with propellant to be fired again and its simply a decorative piece. If this is the case, the casing below the narrowed neck should feel empty, although there's always the possibility they simply filled it with sand or something to make it more stable standing up.

DU is heavy, but the target practice slugs would have to mimic their weight in order to be effective practice, so weight isn't really anyway to tell for sure. The firing cap, does it have a indent in the center? That would be a good sign that it's been fired.

I'd be pretty sure this isn't meant to be fired. The military is generally very good about color coding it's ammunition and weapons to prevent any mistake of what's loaded in what. They wouldn't mix the casing color from one type of shell and the slug from another.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
As Sluissa mentions the first thing to check is the firing cap.  If there is an indentation then the round has been fired at some time in the past and the odds are it has been used to create a decoration.   This was very popular the last time I was in the Falklands, there ws a roaring trade in 105mm cases to be used as ornaments; they did still require a load of paperwork to bring them back into the country though. However, if you are in any doubt about whether the round is live or not then get it down to yor local plod.  They may get a bit shirty with you for just walking in with it BTW.

I've had a bit of a dig around and the people on this forum may be able to help:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=37197
Welchbloke

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
Quote from: "sluissa"
Don't take my word for it, I'm not expert. Just judging by the links, I'd say you probably have a casing from a DU shell that's been reloaded with a target practice slug. Odds are if someone did that, they didn't reload it with propellant to be fired again and its simply a decorative piece. If this is the case, the casing below the narrowed neck should feel empty, although there's always the possibility they simply filled it with sand or something to make it more stable standing up.

DU is heavy, but the target practice slugs would have to mimic their weight in order to be effective practice, so weight isn't really anyway to tell for sure. The firing cap, does it have a indent in the center? That would be a good sign that it's been fired.

I'd be pretty sure this isn't meant to be fired. The military is generally very good about color coding it's ammunition and weapons to prevent any mistake of what's loaded in what. They wouldn't mix the casing color from one type of shell and the slug from another.
There is a small indentation in the centre of the firing cap (which, to be sure we mean the same thing, I believe is the small brass circle in the centre of the base). The indentation is only 2-3mm wide.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:49:46 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
As Sluissa mentions the first thing to check is the firing cap.  If there is an indentation then the round has been fired at some time in the past and the odds are it has been used to create a decoration.   This was very popular the last time I was in the Falklands, there ws a roaring trade in 105mm cases to be used as ornaments; they did still require a load of paperwork to bring them back into the country though. However, if you are in any doubt about whether the round is live or not then get it down to yor local plod.  They may get a bit shirty with you for just walking in with it BTW.

I've had a bit of a dig around and the people on this forum may be able to help:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=37197
Thanks. The large one matches what I have :). You really, really wouldn't want to face those at 3,900 rounds per minute. Scary!

Steve

Offline sluissa

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
There is a small indentation in the centre of the firing cap (which, to be sure we mean the same thing, I believe is the small brass circle in the centre of the base). The indentation is only 2-3mm wide.

Steve

That'll be it then. It's been fired. If it were reloaded to be fired again, that would have to be replaced with a fresh primer. I'm not even sure if the military reuses 30mm cases though. Even the smaller shells are only good for 2 or 3 loads before you risk them failing, I'm not sure how the larger ones handle up to it.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
That'll be it then. It's been fired. If it were reloaded to be fired again, that would have to be replaced with a fresh primer. I'm not even sure if the military reuses 30mm cases though. Even the smaller shells are only good for 2 or 3 loads before you risk them failing, I'm not sure how the larger ones handle up to it.
Thanks. At least I know I won't be glowing in the dark :)

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:39 AM »
Thanks. At least I know I won't be glowing in the dark :)

Steve
I'm pretty certain that aircraft cases are not reused.  Glad to hear it's not a live round Steve!
Welchbloke