Author Topic: My Newbie AAR  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: My Newbie AAR
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
There is a point to having some defense built before you go exploring.  You probably will not have much time if you run into a npr to build up your defenses.  With the missile pdc's if you over engineer them now, they will still be an effective defense until you have upped your tech significantly.  This is with the provision that you build better missiles for them as your tech gets better.

By having just a few fixed defenses, you make small raiding squadrons hitting you an expensive proposition.  Without them you are reliant on your mobile forces.

You can also over engineer your ships to take advantage of upcoming tech in the missile field but it is more difficult as you have to watch the space and cost more.  They make a bigger impact on how long a ship takes to build than how long your home planet takes to build a pdc with all of its industry.

Brian

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
The next installment is up and two systems have now been fully explored and surveyed on entering the Tau Ceti system a surprise awaited me have a read to find out what.

I think some kind of defense is a priority still working on tech but will hopefully have something put together by the next post.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Very good,great idea!!

am follower..:D

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 03:46:51 AM »
Played intending to do a quick update but things started getting interesting please read and if you have any tips they will be much appreciated. The link to the current installment is below:

http://auroranewbieaar.blogspot.com/

Offline Treebiter

• Petty Officer
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
Good job on the AAR, it's a good read. I recently found myself in my first-first contact situation and I followed the advice of someone else on the forum to great success. Firstly, turn on transponders for any ships in the system. Secondly, get out. Thirdly, put together the best diplomatic team you can. Lastly, initiate communications, wait and hope.

If you're lucky you'll have a profitable trading partner and ally! If not... Well, your research plans are on track.  :wink:

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments I was wondering what transponders do?

Communication has broken down with the Tau Ceti aliens so it's now a quick military buildup and preparation for hostile action. All tips are much appreciated and who knows I might even survive  :D

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
Well, you should try to find something out about their tech.
If they have around your level, defense is quite important.
If they are far superior, and don't follow you, you can rather quietly build up, but be sure to make it count.
If you use AMMs or Beams, always make sure the turrets can hit targets of 30k+ speed, because that seems to be a good average speed of medium tech missiles.
And make sure to armor your important ship, everything big with sensors, which could be a target of priority.

Offline Treebiter

• Petty Officer
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
As I understand, and I'm as far from an expert as you can get, transponders basically broadcast the fact that your ship's there and with what race it's associated. This means that the... Hell, I'm essentially quoting the wiki. Here's what you need to know:  :D

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.ph ... =Diplomacy

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"

Communication has broken down with the Tau Ceti aliens so it's now a quick military buildup and preparation for hostile action. All tips are much appreciated and who knows I might even survive  :D

Does the Tactical Intelligence screen have any info on their ships or tech?
If they've blown up a survey or contact ship you might know what type of weapons they used and this will give some idea of how to prepare for them.

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 05:45:45 AM »
Small update posted last night.

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
Quite a large update tonight if anyone is still reading hope you enjoy.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2010, 03:01:46 AM »
What is your techlevel re. missile warheads? Because, especially against such large ships as you encountered in Tau Ceti, it will take a bloody awfull lot of 1-dmg-pt hits to get through even the modest armor.

Throwing together a 24.000t ship, I see it will be covered by about 70 pts of armor per armor-level.
Assuming the enemy to have at least 3 levels of armor seems reasonable.
Your missiles should have a chance to hit the enemy of about 70%
This, in turn means, you´ll need about 270 missiles to destroy all the armor on one of the enemies ships. Of course, the first internal hits will take place sooner, but still...
And this leaves PD fire completely out of the equation.

What I am trying to say here is: Strength 1 warheads are realy too small, IMO. I would try to up the warhead tech, so I could squeeze a strength 4 warhead in, which will at least penetrate the second layer of armor

The advantage of small missiles is, you can mount a lot of them on your warships, which is good to overwhelm enemy PD, but your cruisers only mount 4 launchers each which is a rather small salvo. With 4 cruisers planned for your squadron, total throw weight is 16 missiles every 20 seconds (not enough). I´d assume at least half of those will be taken out by enemy point-blank PD-fire (I don´t think AMMs are a huge concern, because, given the large magazines you mount, you can probably outlast the enemy in that regard simply on ammo (or at least hope for that))

To make the damage thing clear:

4-point missile hit

[attachment=1:kzdpaf2s]4-pt-missile.JPG[/attachment:kzdpaf2s]

8-point missile hit

[attachment=0:kzdpaf2s]8-pt-missile.JPG[/attachment:kzdpaf2s]
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2010, 04:31:27 AM »
Thanks for the help Hawkeye I need as many tips as possible that's why I'm doing the newbie AAR. Do I research warhead tech under energy weapons? My plan for PD is seperate ships mounting Mesons is this viable?

Also for a size 4 warhead I guess I need a larger missile than size 4 would that be correct?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 05:04:49 AM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
Do I research warhead tech under energy weapons?
No.  It's under missile tech.  IIRC each level has a different name, but the number is in parentheses.
Also for a size 4 warhead I guess I need a larger missile than size 4 would that be correct?
The correct term is strength-4 warhead.  The strength is the size*tech_multiplier.  If your tech level is 4x, then a strength-4 warhead will only require size-1; at a tech level of 3x a strength-4 warhead would require size-1.334.  The missile design screen will tell you how strong the warhead is btw.

For ship-based ASM, I think people usually use size 4-6 missiles (I use size-6).  I typically put no more than ~25% of the size into warhead, and I typically tune my warhead sizes to be the square of an integer (to get that extra level of penetration) e.g. 1, 4, 9, ....

John

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:01 AM »
[/quote]
No.  It's under missile tech.  IIRC each level has a different name, but the number is in parentheses.

I must be blind because I can't see this tech the only warhead strength tech is under energy weapons.

Found the tech it's implosion warhead the name confused me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:41:24 AM by Hyfrydle »