Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 70195 times)

Offline EarthquakeDamage

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
My recollection is that a missile size point is 1/20 a HS, so I would expect the range for size 6 to be (6/20)^2*2.31 MKm =  2.079 MKm.  Instead, it's (33/100)^2*2.31, i.e. 10% too big (I just checked - this is NOT due to sensitivity of 11).  Looking at the numbers some more, size 8 and size 12 look correct; it's just size 6 that is too big by a factor of (1.1)^2.  Weird

I think Steve mentioned some time back that he set a minimum size for detection purposes.  That size must be about 1/3 HS.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I've noticed that sometimes Civ ships get hung.  They display a speed and a target, for example, "load trade goods at earth, 1500 km/s"

But they just sit at earth and don't move.  Ever.  For months.

This is a situation worth looking into.  I'm wondering about a conflict with civilian contracts.  Sometimes I also set my contracts up wrong.  This time it was Supply 5 mass drivers at earth, and demand 2 automated factories at Penumbra and 3 automated factories at Corundus.

Clearing orders from the shipping lines tab didn't alter anything, but after correcting the mistake in the contracts everyone started moving again.  I am wondering if theres a logic problem where civs would rather fulfill contracts than trade normally, but finding imbalanced contracts they just simply wait, rather than heading off to trade normally.

A curiosity.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or something that was suppose to happen.

I accidentally released robot guards in some ruins I was converting, and they wiped out my small military I had in place, this happened in one foul swoop, the city surrendered also, which in turn said my transport ships in orbit surrendered or so  the log said. But what happened was the transport ships did not surrender they split from the main taskforce, and made individual task forces and the original task force was still there. I was able to control them and use them. So I lost none of my ships.

The other interesting thing , is the assault force was three robot guardian assault brigades, they knocked out 1 armour and 1 assault brigade and 2 engineer brigade in 1 battle. But I went back with 2 armoured and 1 assault and 1 mobile infantry lost only 3% of troops in one brigade in removing them over a month of fighting.

For me the numbers do not add up, If they were so powerful to knock over the defenders so quickly, how come they were incapable of defencding a slighly larger force. I think steve need to revisit ground combat numbers.

one other thing was there was 100,000 colonist left on the planet, the robot guardians killed the rest, but when I came back and took over the colony again, which was only in a month. The colony still said vanquished then moved in subjugated, since these were robot guardian I imagine all of them dead and this is the original colonies who are human. They should be classified as liberator or atleast go back to the original setting for the colony.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:30:42 PM by ardem »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
I think Steve mentioned some time back that he set a minimum size for detection purposes.  That size must be about 1/3 HS.
IIRC, it's supposed to be 6HS (the minimum size) which would give a factor of 0.3 to be squared.  The factor it appears to be using is 0.33, not 0.3333 (the currency variable version of 1/3) or 0.33333333333333....

John

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
Ship destruction by high-power microwaves is not registered by the Event Log. The sensor contact is simply lost as opposed to getting a "Xeno 001 has been destroyed" event message.

I'm not sure HPMs are even supposed to deal damage to stuff besides shields and electronics, but they do. Crispy, crunchy Star Swarm brochettes are legendary among the Solar League's military spacers.

The other interesting thing , is the assault force was three robot guardian assault brigades, they knocked out 1 armour and 1 assault brigade and 2 engineer brigade in 1 battle. But I went back with 2 armoured and 1 assault and 1 mobile infantry lost only 3% of troops in one brigade in removing them over a month of fighting.

For me the numbers do not add up, If they were so powerful to knock over the defenders so quickly, how come they were incapable of defencding a slighly larger force. I think steve need to revisit ground combat numbers.

The numbers do add up. The total defensive strength of your defeated force (1x Low Tech Armour Division, 1x Assault Infantry Battalion and 2x Engineer Brigades) was 45, whereas the combined offensive strength of the three Precursor battalions was 75. Ground units don't always have the same strength in offense and defense. When you came back with more forces, the robots found themselves fighting a more even series of offensive and defensive operations, and Assault Infantry Battalions are considerably weaker on the latter.

My estimates might be wrong, though, since I think you got mixed up with unit types. I may not have entirely understood what you actually meant.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
Ship destruction by high-power microwaves is not registered by the Event Log. The sensor contact is simply lost as opposed to getting a "Xeno 001 has been destroyed" event message.

I'm not sure HPMs are even supposed to deal damage to stuff besides shields and electronics, but they do. Crispy, crunchy Star Swarm brochettes are legendary among the Solar League's military spacers.
Wait, are you sure that HPMs destroyed ships?  Just having the contact lost is what's supposed to happen, isn't it? Since you're meant to be just frying their sensors.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
I fried them good. My attacking corvettes had nothing but HPM mounts. I'm sure the targets were destroyed: an active enemy contact doesn't simply vanish when your sensor's around 100k km away from it. The Tactical Intelligence window showed the contacts as destroyed, too. The only reason they didn't leave wrecks behind is because Swarm creatures never do. Though I did microwave a Precursor assault transport once. It naturally became a wreck, but I can't remember whether the Event Log reported the kill or not.

Offline EarthquakeDamage

• E
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »
Component design bugs:
  • CIWS always uses highest known Turret Tracking Speed tech, regardless of which one is selected.
  • Magazine always uses highest known Armour tech, regardless of which one is selected.  IIRC Engine also uses your best tech (only matters for non-zero internal armor), but it doesn't let you select one either.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »
I have had the error problem in getname for an NPR , I have looked through the DB and the problem is either the Theme Odd or Hobbit commander names as the NPR having the problems is using those themes

Offline antofdeath

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Any period longer then one day, sometimes even 5-10 second bursts get me spammed with

"Error in UpdateDatabasePostMovement

Error 3709 was generated by DAO.Recordset
The search key was not found in any record.
Please Report"...

Well... I tried continuing my game but after about the 3rd year of getting it... it's kind of annoying.

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »
I'm getting an error after my team stole the location data for a system from an NPR ally.  Going to the Galactic Map screen, I get the following error:

ERROR: WP Link not found in GetWarpPointData

If I hit ok there, it'll then throw:
Error in DisplayWP
Error 5 was generated by Aurora.  Invalid proceedure call or arguement.

If I hit ok twice, it'll let me into the Galactic Map, however selecting or moving any system on the map will throw more error 5s.

Looking at the system in question (called Elrood), it should be connected to a system I know called Marathon.  However, on the map, it's shown as connected to a completely different system called Kiev.

I don't know if this is significant or not, but I haven't done any gravsurveys on Marathon, so I can't see the link between Marathon <-> Elrood when I look in the Marathon system.

Also, are we supposed to be able to have multiple diplomatic teams on the same alien race? If no, then I have the bug that I can sometimes assign multiple ones.  If yes, then I have the bug that sometimes my teams will reset to 'no race' when I try to assign multiples.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
The game's automatic design lock on production doesn't seem to extend to fighters and commercial ships built exclusively by the civilian sector. I'd check PDCs too.

However, given fighters can't be refitted, I'd suggest leaving the auto-lock as it is, in their case, until they can be. Otherwise there's no way to preserve what might be a very experienced crew.

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »
A ship with inoperable drives can still move at normal speeds.

"Maximum speed" is given as 1km/s in the Task Groups Window, but the "set" speed is still as if it is functioning normally. So on the map it moves normally at that set speed.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline EarthquakeDamage

• E
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
Does anyone else get endless errors (forcing an End Task, though the game continues fine afterward) when they finish off the last ruin guardian battalion in ground combat?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Does anyone else get endless errors (forcing an End Task, though the game continues fine afterward) when they finish off the last ruin guardian battalion in ground combat?

I did the first time I ran into them and then realized for next time to cancel the attack on the tick you get the 'defeated' message - before you hit the next tick. Seem to work ok after that.

I think the problem is that the attack should be cancelled automatically but isn't, so next tick it is trying to attack thin air!