Author Topic: Newtonian Aurora  (Read 147014 times)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Newtonian Aurora
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:04 AM »
I feel proud to be witness to such a historic moment.  ;D

+1
Second,

i like it,VERY much.

"FTL drive.." "between star system.." "lost commo with Fleet on FTL warp.."..

Slurp..

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
I have been doing some work on the galactic map as the old one is not much use for the new FTL model. Based on feedback in the other thread I have decided to start with a random map for the purposes of trying out the newtonian model and later I will add some form of 2D real stars map that is a squashed flat version of the real thing. Attached are a couple of screenshots. Still work to do but this will be enough to give a general idea. The purple area are nebulae.

Steve

Offline Napoleon XIX

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »
Looks good: what impact will nebulae have on this version of Aurora?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
Need a pre-pre-pre-Alpha tester? :)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
looks great!

Offline GeaXle

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:46 AM »
My dreams coming true! Thanks Steve!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Looks good: what impact will nebulae have on this version of Aurora?

They will impose on upper limit on FTL speeds, although I haven't decided the formula yet, and a similar limit to the current one for in-system speeds. Accelerating beyond that limit will probably be possible but dangerous.

Steve

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
Steve,

Re your example Galactic maps - would all stars be visible on the map from commencement of game or would one need to locate them as per the "standard" version.

Also do you envisage having the same average number of stars / galaxies as per the standard - i.e 1,000.

DavidR

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
Steve,

Re your example Galactic maps - would all stars be visible on the map from commencement of game or would one need to locate them as per the "standard" version.

Also do you envisage having the same average number of stars / galaxies as per the standard - i.e 1,000.

DavidR

All systems will be visible at the start and you will know what stars are in each system. However, the planets, moons, asteroids, etc for each system will only be generated when the first ship makes an FTL jump to that system. I am using 250 systems for my test game. The total number of systems can be lower than standard Aurora as one of the reasons for the high number is avoiding a lot of jump point loops, rather than the intention to visit every system.

I currently have two gravitional survey ships and one geological survey ship at work in Sol, using default orders. Everything is working OK so far and the ships are accelerating and decelerating by themselves as required. It is taking significantly longer to carry out surveys than before. One other difference from standard Aurora is that orbital movement now takes place during the regular movement phase rather than during the 5-day increment. This is a slight overhead but it will be offset by the fact that no jump chain calculations will be required when I get around to pathfinding for NPRs and Civs.

One other note is that hyper drive and lagrange points won't be in Aurora FTL. You will now be able to reach much higher speeds given sufficient time so travel between different stars in the same system will be far more practical.

Steve

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
Can you make the test version available to download to help find bugs?  ;D
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
Can you make the test version available to download to help find bugs?  ;D

At the moment it is nothing but bugs :) and only a small proportion of the functionality works. I am working my way through the program, updating and fixing as I go. Once I get to the point where you have to look for bugs instead of being mobbed by them I will release a test version.

Steve

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
Steve if i would have some sort of crazy overengineered ion-drive (like we usein present day probes) with enough fuel to reach relativistic speeds, would it be possible to snail my way into another system?

There is a small number of stars that are "reachable" from earth in reasonable time for exmple proxima and alpha Centauri which are 4.22 Ly and 4.36 Ly away respectivly.   

How will massdrivers work or will they be removed?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:48:26 AM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
Quote from: Heph link=topic=4019. msg39894#msg39894 date=1316277669
Steve if i would have some sort of crazy overengineered ion-drive (like we usein present day probes) with enough fuel to reach relativistic speeds, would it be possible to snail my way into another system?

There is a small number of stars that are "reachable" from earth in reasonable time for exmple proxima and alpha Centauri which are 4. 22 Ly and 4. 36 Ly away respectivly.    

How will massdrivers work or will they be removed?

I was thinking much the same thing myself- sleeper ships would be fun to have.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Slightly off topic but could be of interest. Just finished reading "through struggle, the stars" by John Lumpkin. Aside from being a pretty good read I thought it had an excellent take on combat in a Newtonian environment and has some very good points:

- Basically no one does head on attacks because the closing speeds given so much kinetic energy to any slugs that it's pretty much suicide for both sides.

- Missiles tend to get shot down a lot but when they do get through they are pretty devastating. These are also basically MIRVS with lots of flechettes.

- Rail guns etc are used to help command the combat space rather than trying to hit things in most cases ie fill a section of space with a lot of lead to stop your enemy moving there and limiting their ability to undertake evasive mans.

- Lasers are the main close in armament. There is also an interesting concept of an overall laser wattage that can be directed between the offensive lenses and the defensive ones which gives captains some interesting decisions as to how aggressive they want to be.

Anyway perhaps some food for thought!

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

- Rail guns etc are used to help command the combat space rather than trying to hit things in most cases ie fill a section of space with a lot of lead to stop your enemy moving there and limiting their ability to undertake evasive mans.

Thats horrifying.  Talk about space junk for eternity.