Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 49972 times)

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Re: Change Log for 5.70 discussion
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »
They was built with cash instead of minerals. . .  second rate materials, cheap workers and lack of maintenance = short lifespan of ships

Well not really...

...anyways it would be good to have something to spend the cash I'm (and i assume most of us) are ussually sitting on.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2012, 05:37:12 AM »
how well defenced will these ships be? CWIS / sensors?

At the moment, civilian shipping lines only build colony ships, freighters and passenger liners, none of which have CIWS. They will probably also have fuel harvesters by the time v5.70 comes out but for simplicity I won't be adding CIWS to them, although NPR-designed fuel harvesters could have CIWS.

Steve

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
Is there any advantage to keeping prisoners as POWs on planets, or is it all for RP purposes? I don't think I'd mind negative diplomatic points for a race when I eject their people.

Offline Eseraith

• Leading Rate
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Will you be able to return POWs to their Empire if diplomatic relationships with said empire improve?

Also while shipping lines are being updated could the construction of civilian mining complexes be assigned to individual shipping lines so shipping diversify between ships and mining complex and rake in profits from both? Also this would allow shipping lines a valid reason to construct Geological survey ships which would be awesome.  This would also be more realistic as most of the the surveys for minerals in the real world are done by enterprises as apposed to governments.  And finally will we be able to rename shipping lines?

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Regarding POWs: What happens if i keep those aliens on a planet unsuitable for them? More so do i have to have a special prison-colony with infrastructure etc. if i want to keep them save and do they reproduce while in prison?
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Iunnrais

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
Surely there can be mechanical diplomatic uses for POWs?

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Horror as the bodies bounce off their screens.

Offline ussugu

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
One of my most recently played games using 5.60 really started slowing down the incremental turns.  I was about 50 years in and things slowed down a lot.  A few things people said would slow it down are lots of mineral packets in route and all the different fleets doing sensor checks.

I reworked my mining philosophy and eliminated mass drivers and then went about minimizing my fleets so that the sensor checks would be reduced.  I also tried to minimize the numbers of civilian transports to reduce additional checks.

Automated design of civilian ships, will that not exacerbate the grind issue later in the game?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Given that civilian lines now scrap ships older than 10 years when they create new ones, you'll probably have a lot less civilians to worry about.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
I think what really kills things is increasing size of the universe. Unfortunately you have limited control over this, since not only will NPRs explore but they'll trigger additional NPRs.  Invaders also cause a lot of exploration.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Yeh, the limit sadly isn't.^^

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
I think what really kills things is increasing size of the universe. Unfortunately you have limited control over this, since not only will NPRs explore but they'll trigger additional NPRs.  Invaders also cause a lot of exploration.

apart from invading all of the NPRs and removing a few via invasions

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
Would changing the max number of systems to 0 mid-game fix this? I'll take a small universe over a slow game anytime.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2012, 05:30:45 AM »
well theres a lot of optimsations that can be done with the existing engines, the notification removals that have been implemented for 5.7 is a start point

Reducing the number of systems to 0 means that there are already those spawned systems.  More processor, upgrading to VB and a host of other things can be done in the end though there will be a limit to how many systems is sensible versus what is possible

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
If the system was built from the group up, even in the old engine (new is obviously better) it could also include instanced systems; like the time bubble we have for larger fights now (at the discretion of the SM), those could be used to handle systems separate from each other if no jumps are present, and completely ignore them if no one is in them.

Right now, that is unfeasible. What I'd like, though, it a race limit that prevents NPRs from generating further NPRs after a certain margin.
In addition to that, a system limit switch might also be a nice bonus.