Author Topic: trans-mineral properties?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: trans-mineral properties?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
Mineral Description

The minerals are as follows:
1. Duranium. Most common ore and used to build factories, mines and ship structures.
2. Neutronium. Very dense material used for shipyards, advanced armors and kinetic weapons such as railguns or orbital bombardment systems.
3. Corbomite. Used for advanced shields, stealth systems and electronic warfare systems.
4. Tritanium. The primary material used in many missile technologies and in the construction of ordnance factories.
5. Boronide. The primary material used in the construction of power systems and capacitors and also for the creation of Terraforming facilities.
6. Sorium. Used for construction of jump drives and jump gates. Also refined by fuel refineries to produce fuel.
7. Uridium. Used in sensors and fire control systems.
8. Corundium. The primary material used in almost all energy weapons.
9. Mercassium. Used for Research Facilities, life support systems and tractor beams.
10. Vendarite. Used in the construction of fighters, fighter factories and fighter bases.
11. Gallicite. Used in the construction of engines, including missile and fighter engines.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
Excellent, now lets break that down into a lower level.  Sure corbomite is used for shields and such, but why?  I know it's because Steve said so but there can easily be an logical deduction as to the base mineral properties dependent on what it is used for.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
I don't think we can quite infer that yet.

What part of current laser technology is corundium replacing? Probably the medium of the laser itself which would make powerful, efficient lasers available for mining or combat purposes.
How could boronide be used in a reactor(and given that all reactor techs use it)? Steam driven turbines are 35% efficient, so I'd imagine that it replaces the turbine with a material that magics heat into electricity with a higher efficiency then that(probably not 100, that breaks all kinds of things).

Tritanium and Vendarite seem like they overlap. Missiles and fighters would need lightweight strong materials.

Gallicite is probably really good dealing with the heat problems that engines tend to have.

Uridium being as widely used as it is is likey some circuitry replacement. EM, Thermal, and active sensors(not to mention fire controls) would share a processing need, not the antennae in the first place necessarily.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
When running my LP I came up with my own fluff explanations for why certain minerals did certain things.

Off the top of my head:

Corbomite has a TN analogue for magnetism property, which allows it to create force fields (tractor beams, shields, etc).
Uridium is very sensitive to EM and gravitational radiation, hence its use in sensors.
Corundium has radiation focusing properties that help avoid scatter (useful in beam weapons, etc).

Offline Theeht

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
In real life, corundum is a very hard crystal that is used in lasers and mining equipment, there is probably a connection there. 

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
I've always thought of duranium to be something like durasteel from star wars: it's like steel, but better. Using star wars again, neutronium I've always assumed to be a very dense, strong material making it impractical for armor, but good for other stuff like shipyards. Uridium I've assumed to be very reactive to radiation, making it ideal for detection systems. I guess boronide functions as some sort of super-duper-über conductor, making it ideal for power systems. Corbomite I've thought of as being absorbent to most radiation, allowing to absorb large amounts of energy for shields or conceal the energy signature of a vessel for cloaking devices. Gallicite probably has an extremely high specific heat capacity, making it a practical material for engines that generate power equivalent to thousands of chemical rockets. Corundium most likely works as a focus for various types of energy, and vendarite is probably a lightweight, strong material like titanium. Sorium is some sort of highly energetic material, probably the most physics defying one as it appears to allow the function of jump engines. Tritaniunm I assume to be a highly volatile material, capable of releasing energy  Over a much smaller period of time than sorium, thus leading to large booms. Mercassium is probably some sort magnet-like substance, being used to accelerate other materials for research purposes in labs, or "grab" them for tractor beams, and extracting them from the air for life support.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
Corbomite definitely has its origins in Star Trek

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »
Corbomite definitely has its origins in Star Trek

All the mineral names have been used at some point in Star Trek :)

Given my occupational history, Corbomite was one of my favourites :)

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »

Steve

I do recall you stating explicitly back on the yahoo group that Corbomite was drawn from Star Trek :)

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
Just spent 10 minutes on Memory Alpha reading through the Star Trek descriptions of the minerals. Oddly satisfying!

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

Steve

heh,  you shouldve tried Fizzbin  ;)  with it's ummm fluid rules you couldve retired

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.