Author Topic: Missile active/passive sensor  (Read 2557 times)

Offline GeaXle (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
Missile active/passive sensor
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
I have looked on the forum but did not find an appropriate answer.

What is the difference between passive sensors and active sensor for missiles. As for ships passive sensors are not enough to lock a target, is it the same for missile?

If yes, then is it necessary to put passive sensor on the missile so it can first detect a ship at wich point it will start it's active sensor to get an accurate ping and choose a target?

Many thanks,
Gea

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Missile active/passive sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:14:56 PM »
I have looked on the forum but did not find an appropriate answer.

What is the difference between passive sensors and active sensor for missiles. As for ships passive sensors are not enough to lock a target, is it the same for missile?

If yes, then is it necessary to put passive sensor on the missile so it can first detect a ship at wich point it will start it's active sensor to get an accurate ping and choose a target?

Many thanks,
Gea

Missiles can home in on a target using on-board passive sensors only. Thermal will home on thermal signatures and EM will home on EM signatures - such as shields or active sensors.

Steve

Offline GeaXle (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »

Is the reverse also true? A missile can rely only on an active sensor?

Gea

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:03 AM »
Yes, this is possible. I had a game where a squadron of fighters launched a volley of active-sensor equipped missiles at a Precursor missile base, only to be shredded by its size-1 ASM volleys. While the squadron was long dead before their missiles reached their target, once the missiles got in range of the base they picked it up and hammered it into scrap.