Author Topic: Let's play on Youtube  (Read 22994 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Let's play on Youtube
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
Just a quick question - to move around the survey team I need to have a ship with cryogenic storage or does any ship capable of transporting people/cargo do?

I usually use small ship, basically only commercial engines and fuel tanks. It can wait for the team until it completes the survey as it is commercial design and does not have failure rate.

Offline Morrigi192

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
A YouTube LP would be great, this would be the first ever as far as I know.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
On the question about exolorer ships.

I often deploy small carrier designs, perhaps about 3000t hangars. I then have 500t shuttles to do surveys each with either a grav- or geosurvey sensor. The carrier have about 24 month deployment while the shuttles are 18 months. Each mission get shuttles based on the knowledge of the system they intend to survey.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
A YouTube LP would be great, this would be the first ever as far as I know.

Thanks for the support. The LP will be 100%. I just don't know if I should start it now or wait for the next version. So far everyone told me to wait but I might be waiting for months as it seems...
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Morrigi192

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2013, 07:19:33 AM »
Yeah, you might as well get started.  As far as I know there's no word whatsoever when it might be released.

Offline justleroy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
Might as well get started, if 6.30 comes out in the middle of your LP, I don't think it'll be a major problem to continue with the current version.

Offline Morrigi192

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
Indeed.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
So I took you advice and so it begins!

Video 1 (Setup):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnYfJ6m68jU

Video 2 (explaining the screens, minerals and more):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEGqRSOOVU

Video 3 (Shipyard operations and research):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRahHyS-eY

Video 4 (actual start of the game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvyxNfd3i8

I took it more in the tutorial kind of way as those that are on Youtube are unfinished and a lot of people will see this game for the first time.
As I am still far from being really good I would like to ask those of you who will follow this LP to give me as much advice as you can. I intend to finish this LP and every comment will help me achieve that! Also every like and comment will make the LP show more to the people of Youtube :)

AURORA, HO!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:33:51 AM by Alfapiomega »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
such a nice clean uncluttered desktop... ;)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2013, 02:30:01 AM »
such a nice clean uncluttered desktop... ;)

You should see my previous computers.

But really, there is a perfect order to the way I have layed out my shortcuts :)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
After talking with some of my subscribers and reading the comments I decided to take it a bit further and I added a bunch of new explanations during the videos. I am slowly shifting it from "sort of tutorial and an lp" to "tutorial and then an lp".

So if you find at any moments that I am saying or claiming something wrong, please let me know! :)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
So if you find at any moments that I am saying or claiming something wrong, please let me know! :)
Didn't spot something wrong really so far, but some strange choices:

1.) You don't have to expand the first shipyard beyond 1000 ton right away if you don't want to.
A basic minimal survey craft needs only 250 ton payload for it's geo/grav sensor, which means it ends up around 800-1000ton after adding engines and fuel.
The first level of Armor is also very neat here reducing weight by around 100 ton (10%) for just 500 RP (since you always need 1 level armor and the basic newtonian version is really heavy).

2.) You seem to advance time several years sometimes without looking at Ctrl+F3 (Event Updates), to play optimally you really want to check it after every (5/30 days) time advance so you don't miss applying new better leaders, new research or construction and so on. The "Set to Default" Colours button is neat to quickly see what changes has happened.

3.) At the start a leader with mining bonus as governor of Earth is a great thing if your short on minerals (like for example your problems with neutronium), especially before discovering TN tech when all other traits are pretty much worthless due to not being able to build any installations or ships worth much anyways.

4.) I always try to build (or at least partially finish) my 2nd Military academy while researching TN tech, this is extremely useful since it will double the amount of new scientists and civilian administrators you get.

Most of these are a matter of personal taste and playstyle ofcourse.
Great LP otherwise, I will try to direct any new players to it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:11:12 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
Really good so far and I certainly agree with making it a combined tutorial and LP.

One thing that I usually do is to turn on the events log on the system view. That way I don't have to go to the eventlog all the time and I see the events at a glance and can interact with them directly on the system view.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
Didn't spot something wrong really so far, but some strange choices:

1.) You don't have to expand the first shipyard beyond 1000 ton right away if you don't want to.
A basic minimal survey craft needs only 250 ton payload for it's geo/grav sensor, which means it ends up around 800-1000ton after adding engines and fuel.
The first level of Armor is also very neat here reducing weight by around 100 ton (10%) for just 500 RP (since you always need 1 level armor and the basic newtonian version is really heavy).

2.) You seem to advance time several years sometimes without looking at Ctrl+F3 (Event Updates), to play optimally you really want to check it after every (5/30 days) time advance so you don't miss applying new better leaders, new research or construction and so on. The "Set to Default" Colours button is neat to quickly see what changes has happened.

3.) At the start a leader with mining bonus as governor of Earth is a great thing if your short on minerals (like for example your problems with neutronium), especially before discovering TN tech when all other traits are pretty much worthless due to not being able to build any installations or ships worth much anyways.

4.) I always try to build (or at least partially finish) my 2nd Military academy while researching TN tech, this is extremely useful since it will double the amount of new scientists and civilian administrators you get.

Most of these are a matter of personal taste and playstyle ofcourse.
Great LP otherwise, I will try to direct any new players to it.  :)

Thanks for the reply, man! Great feedback! Let me try to clear things for you in hopes of hearing more from you :) I realize I didn't lay out some big strategy ahead in the beginning but that was because I didn't want to overwhelm the new players. I will first tell them about the mechanics so that they can follow why am I doing this and that when I tell them what I am planning.

ad 1) The reason why I am going with the shipyard upgrade is because the first survey ships I build do have conventional engines. So to make them at least little viable I need to give them 2 x 25HS conventional commercial engines. And even then they run on something around 49 km/s which is not enough to catch everything on the map (comets, some moons etc.). The usual design I believe is something about 2990 tons. I will show it in the next part where I design the vessel (I just hope I remember it right). Once I get up to nuclear engines I can use only one and I still get many times the output - the size goes down.
You are right though. Waiting with the survey till the engines get better might be a way in which I would avoid the hassle of upgrading the shipyard. But I like to know what are my options as soon as possible (messages "The deposits of XXX on Earth were completely depleted" still scare the hell out of me)..

ad 2) I do that too, no worries! Later, once I actually have got past the TN technology, I have it turned while the time advances to see what is going on (I usually go down to 1 day/8 hours increments too) . But from experience there is NOTHING going on at the beginning five years with the exception of some new personal, however I was never that lucky to be able to switch the leading scientist on the TN (not even when I don't have any with the needed specialization). That is why I checked it only at certain points. But the set colors thing is actually awesome, I never noticed that one. Thanks! What colors do you usually use for what?

ad 3) Did I miss a large mining bonus on someone? I think that the current governor was the only one with mining bonus...?

ad 4) I avoid it till I am several years in the game (after getting the construction factories ready) as it costs quite a lot and I tend to hit the ground on my resources really fast most of the time (it will cost a ton to convert the current CI to mines and CF). Halting everything in favor of the academy never seemed like a good trade to me. But you are right about it, I usually build it asap. But I will mention this possibility in the next video if I remember. What is your usual order of building btw? If you describe it more I can tell the players about it as an alternative strategy in the next video(s) :)

I said it - I am still a newbie, that is why the feedback is so important :) Especially as this is supposed to be a tutorial LP :) Thank you for it and please more! I know I might sound like I am defending myself but instead I am trying to explain what I am doing. Because then you might point out why it is stupid and I can learn ;)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »
Really good so far and I certainly agree with making it a combined tutorial and LP.

One thing that I usually do is to turn on the events log on the system view. That way I don't have to go to the eventlog all the time and I see the events at a glance and can interact with them directly on the system view.

Yup, I do that too :) Alex already mentioned it and my reply was: "I do that too, no worries! Later, once I actually have got past the TN technology, I have it turned while the time advances to see what is going on (I usually go down to 1 day/8 hours increments too) . But from experience there is NOTHING going on at the beginning five years with the exception of some new personal, however I was never that lucky to be able to switch the leading scientist on the TN (not even when I don't have any with the needed specialization). That is why I checked it only at certain points."

Thanks for the feedback and more please if anything occurs to you! :)