Author Topic: Official v6.30 Bugs thread  (Read 45157 times)

Offline Spfnym

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
Re: Official v6.30 Bugs thread
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
Update: I read that my spinal mounts cannot be used with turrets.  Well, that would explain my problem.

I had a game in which I couldn't build turrets for some reason.   The game started in 2025 and somewhere around 2080 I first researched a laser and then tried to research a turret for it.   I had a laser researched as I show in the beginning of this video: https://www.  youtube.  com/watch?v=MeK3OcayEPE
However, it still says "Please design at least one beam weapon before attempting to design a turret" when I click "Turret Design". 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:16:43 PM by Spfnym »

Offline Thorgarth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
Receiving the following message on the 5-day increments:

Error in PopulateGUTraining
Error 30009 was generated by MSFlexGrid
Invalid Row Value.

Started after I started construction of a Divisional HQ.

Simple work around was to delete that Divisional HQ and initiate construction on a new one.

25 years into the game.

Offline Kof

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
I'm getting an error in 6.30 when I try to unload some components that I've salvaged from a alien race. This causes an infinte loop.

screenie attached.

Let me know if you want the DB too.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
I'm getting an error in 6.30 when I try to unload some components that I've salvaged from a alien race. This causes an infinte loop.

screenie attached.

Let me know if you want the DB too.

On the screenshot you don't have a component selected - that might be the cause of the error. Could you check it and let me know.

Steve

Offline Kof

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
Steve,

You are correct. So user error, but could be handled better.

BTW, great work on this game. Well done. IMO, you should try to make version 2, based on crowd funding, even it not for self enrichment (I know your feelings on hobby/work from previous posts).

You might be surprised on the support you'd get. There just aren't games out there like this.

I for one would contribute cash and time (I'm a developer/designer with 17 years experience) and I know DOTNET.

Thanks.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
You are correct. So user error, but could be handled better.

Yes, I agree. I've added a check here so it doesn't error.

BTW, great work on this game. Well done. IMO, you should try to make version 2, based on crowd funding, even it not for self enrichment (I know your feelings on hobby/work from previous posts).

You might be surprised on the support you'd get. There just aren't games out there like this.

I for one would contribute cash and time (I'm a developer/designer with 17 years experience) and I know DOTNET.

Thanks.

It's a question of time and motivation. These days I just don't have the time to spend on development that I used to. It would be a massive undertaking to recreate Aurora and in the end, a new version would just look prettier and have a better UI, neither of which I am bothered about (as you might guess :)). I would rather spend the available time adding new features to the existing version (and playing it). The best chance of a new version will be Newtonian Aurora when I finally get back to it.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
A minor bug:

I've been getting some weird move tails displayed on the System Map. I have a minelayer going around to each jump point to drop off engineless sensor buoys, and after each increment in which it executed the "Launch missiles at" order I get the light blue circle representing the buoy along with a roughly 6 billion km move tail from a seemingly empty spot in the system. It doesn't even line up with the direction that the minelayer approached from.

The tails disappear after the next increment but I could swear a similarly absurd move tail appeared earlier in the same game behind a large, slow spoiler ship that I had just picked up again on passive thermals. For a moment I was concerned, but the next increment showed it moving at the slow pace I am accustomed to for such craft. Thus, it appears to be a problem with misleading move tails being drawn on newly visible objects.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2014, 12:58:57 AM »
Ok, this might be more a gap through development phases other than a bug, but I found two problems. Through ruins I recently discovered first plasma torpedoes tech, and later advanced lasers. The torpedoes I have seen before show up in the "view technology" window, even so there is no segment in the "design technology" menu that would let you develop one. So I guess they have been taken out in this version. However, the second, the advanced lasers, do in fact show up under lasers, yet seem unfunctional. I searched in the forum and discovered there definitely were working editions for this where the lasers improved accuracy or something(??), but when want to design a 10cm one, it gets displayed as 4cm (by autonaming) and has 0 damage, range and energy requirement. Researching the next level (12cm focal) gave me a considered 5cm laser which at least did 1 damage (with the corresponding range factor 1*frequenzy tech), so I guess there is some conversion factor going on. However it seems kind of unelegant to have the first one literally do nothing. Also, if it weren't for the forums, I wouldn't even know that there could be some advantage to them (in accuracy), since it is not mentioned anywhere what they do (not even the wiki). As it stands they just seem to be a normal laser in effect that is for some reason scaled down, and doesn't seem to do anything beyond that.

On another note, the description of the laser wavelength tech is reversed. When your technology advances, it increases the frequenzy of the laser into ultraviolet, gamma etc., which means the wavelength goes down. Yet the description writes something like "higher wavelength means more range", which is the wrong way around given the technological progress direction. However, in reality the description should be right as light with lower frequenzy (=higher wavelength as written) should get scattered far less.(it is alot like air resistance which also rises square to how much 'faster'/'powerful' you go) ...But if the description stays right, that would mean the whole techtree there is false, as all those higher frequenzy lasers are in fact the way that would make dispersion worse, hence reducing total range.
Maybe there was another explanation intended (like for example "high frenquenzy makes our lenses' focus bundling more effective"), but that is so far not in the tech description.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Coto

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:21 AM »
I got this message:

Error in RetireCommander
Error 3022 was generated by DAO. Recordset
The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship.   Change the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again.

I wasn't doing anything special when this message came up, but I checked the SM log and found this occuring at the same time (Wancandhu is an NPR):

7th January 2055 08:01:31,Wancandhu,Sol,Zena Belkin has joined your civilian administration.   GU Const Speed 10%  Administration Rating 5  Wealth Creation 15%  Mining 20%
7th January 2055 08:01:31,Wancandhu,Unknown,Scientist Zhenya Voronov has been killed in an accident.  Assignment prior to death: Research Project: Improved Gravitational Sensors
7th January 2055 08:01:31,SM Only,System 0,Error in RetireCommander
7th January 2055 08:01:31,The Federation,Unknown,Through training or experience, Civilian Administrator Adam Walters has increased his Population Growth Bonus to 10%
7th January 2055 08:01:31,Wancandhu,Unknown,Through experience as a project leader, Scientist Alexia Tereshchenko has increased his Research Bonus to 40%
7th January 2055 08:01:31,Wancandhu,Unknown,Through training or experience, Baron Oriel Vorontsov has increased his Fleet Movement Initiative Rating to 322

The error didn't spam me or anything, it just came up once.

Offline stonestriker

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
Opening up my saved game in my game about 50 years in and opening System Maps:
Sol system is completely blank and the following errors errors pops up, one after another

"Error in CentreOnLocation - Error 6 was generated by Aurora - Overflow" x 2
"Error in DisplaySystems  - Error 6 was generated by Aurora - Overflow"

If I try to scroll the map I get the last error again.  If I try to zoom i get

"Run-time error '6' - Overflow" and the game crashes

The tabs are still showing ships and colonies in the system, and I can advance time with no problem.

Offline ThunderRush

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
So I have the following problem - whenever I press any time increment, the game starts to work before it throws me bunch of 3201 Errors by the type of NPRPopPlanning.  I tested thhe following:

• The more NPR I use, the more error messages I get.
  • The error occurs with both the 6. 21 and the 6. 30 version.  The installation has been followed step by step.
  • The error occurs even when I use the portable version.

So it obviously must a problem with my system - I suppose at least.  I see a lot of people having problems with 3201 after time increments, but none of them seem to get the NPRPopPlanning.  Anything I should do/try?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Gnooble

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
Found an odd bug with the Build Jump Gate default orders.   My construction ships are able to transit points that aren't gated and don't have commercial tenders/engines.   I discovered a new jump point and explored it with a military jump tender.   My construction ships headed for the point, started work on my side (as normal), but a second construction ship was able to transit the ungated point and start the other side.   The only jump engines were military engines too small to handle the gateships.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
Found an odd bug with the Build Jump Gate default orders.   My construction ships are able to transit points that aren't gated and don't have commercial tenders/engines.   I discovered a new jump point and explored it with a military jump tender.   My construction ships headed for the point, started work on my side (as normal), but a second construction ship was able to transit the ungated point and start the other side.   The only jump engines were military engines too small to handle the gateships.

Are you sure the jump point doesn't have an existing gate?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
Opening up my saved game in my game about 50 years in and opening System Maps:
Sol system is completely blank and the following errors errors pops up, one after another

"Error in CentreOnLocation - Error 6 was generated by Aurora - Overflow" x 2
"Error in DisplaySystems  - Error 6 was generated by Aurora - Overflow"

If I try to scroll the map I get the last error again.  If I try to zoom i get

"Run-time error '6' - Overflow" and the game crashes

The tabs are still showing ships and colonies in the system, and I can advance time with no problem.

Try the Min Zoom button on the system map (near the top left)

Offline stonestriker

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=6501. msg68368#msg68368 date=1389207753
Try the Min Zoom button on the system map (near the top left)

Thanks a lot, did not think to try that button  :)

Game seems to be back to normal again.  And thanks for a great game!