Author Topic: Official v6.30 Bugs thread  (Read 45175 times)

Offline Gnooble

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
Re: Official v6.30 Bugs thread
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=6501.     msg68367#msg68367 date=1389207704
Are you sure the jump point doesn't have an existing gate?

It doesn't - one of my other ships started building one. 

edit:  I ran a couple tests of my own - it works only with a military jump engine on the gateship itself that, if it were set as commercial instead, would allow transits for the gateship.     So basically I'm reporting a bug coming from what is probably an exploit already - putting military jump engines on commercial ships.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:03:49 PM by Gnooble »

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
@Gnooble: Doesn't putting any kind of military component on a former commercial ship change it into a military vessel instead? What does the design plan say?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2014, 06:15:23 AM »
The in-game atmosphere of Venus doesn't match the one listed on Wikipedia. It is currently 50 atm Nitrogen and 50 atm Carbon Dioxide. For some reason they are listed as 65% and 35% despite being the same pressure. Per the Wikipedia article, it should be 92 atm of 96.5% Nitrogen and 3.5% Carbon Dioxide. The numbers are superficially similar - possible a typo was involved somewhere.

The atmosphere of Mars is wrong too. Per Wikipedia: "The Martian atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and traces of other gases including oxygen totaling less than 0.4%." IIRC (I've since terraformed), it was something like 70% Nitrogen and 30% CO2.

Also: Carbon Dioxide begins to be toxic at levels beginning at 1% of the air, increasing in severity of symptoms until 8%, where it causes unconsciousness.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
I found an alien homesystem, complete with distant binary (and a third star closely orbiting the second in fact), but with no intra-system jump points to bridge the 3800 AU (6*10^11 km!) gap. Oh well. I turned on the hyper limit display just to see where it fell in the system. I left it on and launched active sensor missiles at the suspected home world, and zoomed in to the planet to monitor their progress. Then I started getting error messages, always the same one occurring in pairs:

Error in DisplayStars

Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report to http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index. php/board,11.0.html

This occurs when zooming in beyond a certain degree, when advancing time while scrolled in that far, or when scrolling with the arrows next to the zoom buttons while scrolled in that far. The errors don't occur if I turn off the hyper limit display, so it isn't a problem right now, but if and when hyperdrive returns this might need some attention. I suspect that zooming in that far forces the hyper limit circles for stars B and C to be drawn so far outside the rendered part of the sysrem map that it causes the errors. But that's just a guess.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
Jump Points are sometimes generated with jump gates on them. I don't know if this is a bug or WAI. What I do know is a bug is that even if you select jump gates on all points, you get some missed. Fortunately, that's easily fixed with the Spacemaster mode.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
Jump Points are sometimes generated with jump gates on them. I don't know if this is a bug or WAI.

WAI. These are relics from previous civilizations.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
I got a by turn reoccuring error "PopulateFleetList" right after I built a planetary defense centre which only consisted of troop quarters an a couple CIWS. For some reason the new system where it was assembled didn't spawn the automatic PDC-fleet taskforce. I have no idea where this thing ended up, so I couldn't even put it in a fleet manualy.
To check if the pdc even was created I went into the ship list, where I found it (but every click in the list spawned error popups). Additionally I got a hard (/only solvable by task manager kill) error of this sort:

...after I clicked on a commercial ship with nearly 40m tons size. It was fairly new and I never had a working ship of this size before, so I cannot say if this is an independent error, or it is somewhat related to the other problem. My intuition is that there is just too much armor on the thing, as I experienced notable delays every time I just clicked on the "one more layer armor" button during design, and this is somehow not managable anymore. ..But can be whatever.

Here is a copy of the stevefire.mdb to make checking possible: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vZFhO9KKngNmhwYzFXaTJvNHM/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
Update: I came to test this a little and found that likely the long name of the system+body prevented the PDC Fleet to be automatically generated. When I made a custom task group and gave it the name it would normally have been given by default, I got an error of this calibre:

..Which in short says "too much signs". So when the game tried to do this automatically, it failed and the task group was never created. Now there is a ship/pdc somewhere out there that is not assigned to any task group in the universe, ..basically in nirvana and beyond any selectionability(?). All I can do is delete, and manually assign shorter names to the planets there so this won't happen the next time. Calls for a check beforehand to prevent occurrencies like this. (by the way, the name got that long, because I add real planet names on top of the usual format [system name]-[position in system], which I like to do for organizational purposes. this time the system name alone was already huge on itself)

// The other thing with the big ship is therefore an independent problem. Too much armor for the memory it seems, but I will test that further tomorrow. (I wonder if that also was the issue with the 250 million tons orbital habitat I had a couple of days ago here... . There may be an upper limit on total armor boxes you can have)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
Triple post, sorry, but as I said I looked into the armor cap theory today, and yes, I can pretty much confirm this. I rescaled the ship's armor that was making problems into an area where I wouldn't get the lockup errors when selecting the ship in the ship window. Since I haven't posted the picture of those, here they are:

...this comes first, followed by an infinite chain of those:

After the scaledown I increased the armor gradually by one layer and checked each time if the error would spawn again.
Here is when that happened for this ship (36 layers were too much, 35 is A-O-K):

...But what is really causing the problem here? Could be column count, total size, armor strength or area.. - not clear. So since I wanted to check if it happened with my orbital habitat aswell, that also was the opportunity for a illuminating cross-check. I got the same error that I reported way above some days ago, so it is also confirmed that this happened due to maximum armor cap.

This habitat was around 125 million tons, and the freighter ~37 million, so size didn't matter. If you look at the numbers it becomes clear that 'armor strength'(total count of boxes) is indeed this ominous limiting factor, and the point at which Aurora just can't handle the awesome anymore must lay between 345k and 355k armor boxes. Further testing closed that in to pretty much exactly 350k.
I don't know why, but it seems as if intentionally setup. I was expecting a power of 2 factor behind this somewhere(which often comes with natural memory limitation), but the next potency is pretty much equally away in both directions (2^18~262k and 2^19~524k). Addionally 350k is just too round of a number to be an incident.

Now, what does all that mean? Well, if armor is capped, and every ship has to have armor, that also concludes in that ship sizes are capped. I wanted to find out the two hard limits that are inclined by such a number:
- 1. The maximum ship size where you could technically still have maximum possible armor of 100 layers.
- 2. Of course maximum ship size with the 1 minimum layer of armor.

Here is what I got for the first (with maximum armor tech of course, otherwise resistance testing would be futile):

..After this size (approx. 7.75 million tons) you would have to reduce the layer count to not excede the total box limit.

Aaand the ultimate maximum:

...7.75 billion tons. It needs 10 minutes just to design because the program becomes so slow that you need to wait some seconds for every click to being processed. Although a ship of that size would not excede the maximum armor, it would possibly run into other errors like with the round function that works insinde the maintenance amount calculation. Isn't completly game breaking like the other though, but certaintly quite bothersome.

So, I don't know if this (or these) limitation(s) where intended, but if not, it is hereby reported by imperium intelligence for a steve to look after.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
When I open the Galactic Map I get the following error twice in a row:

"Error in LoadRaceData

Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found: 'Flags\'
Please report to..."

I should note that the NPR that generated at game start does not have a flag assigned to it, according to the Intelligence and Foreign Relations window. Also, I replaced the standard flags folder with the pack of different flags that's floating around on the forums somewhere. My first NPR in any Aurora game ever was represented by a picture of a pufferfish and a #### flag, which seemed... odd, so I've been using the other flags ever since.

I have encountered other NPRs and spoilers, in this 6.30 game and others, and they get assigned flags from the new folder just fine. If I don't assign a flag to my own race I have found that the same error has popped up before, but that was easy enough to fix. Here, I suspect I may have to conquer the offending empire to correct the problem.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
Another different problem I just stumbled across. In a very spacious system I have a far remote mining colony with mass drivers. The measurement shows a distance of 190 billion kilometers towards the nearest colony (which is the actual target of the mass drivers).
The problem:

...The mineral packets are stacking up indefinitely, never actually reaching the target.
It could happen because of the sheer distance is not treatet well by Aurora anymore for some reason, but if the packets plot courses like everything else does, then it could also be because of the lagrange points, since the shortest route to that moon is through such a point. I don't think it is likely though, since there are other colonies where LPs would be an advantage and they are fine.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:03 AM »
This one isn't really a bug, just a missing feature, I have noticed predesigned jump engines with a smaller size granularity than I'm able to design, for instance I have a 73 ton, and a 109 ton engine, but the drop down starts going up by 5 ton increments after 50 so I can design either a 70 ton or a 75 ton, but not a 73 ton, the same applies to the 109 ton where size starts going up by 10 ton increments, so i could make a 100 or 110 ton engine but not anywhere within that range.
Not really a problem since I usually like my ships to be round numbers when it comes to weight, but when I attempt to put new jump engines into my first predesigned ships I can never make an engine with the exact same capacity, but the new engines are smaller so theres really no problem, I suggest keeping the granularity as is and merely limiting the predesigned tech systems to the same rules as the players, though it's probably more work than merely changing the dropdown. Does anyone object to the jump engine size dropdown expanding to 1000 entries?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2014, 03:04:13 AM »
Does anyone object to the jump engine size dropdown expanding to 1000 entries?

I posted a suggestion regarding engine sizes dropdown that could be applied to many size dropdowns.

The idea is to have varying degrees of size by roughly 10% everywhere instead of a set amount that is guaranteed to be big for the smallest engines and to small for the biggest ones.

So for 50 ton engines it makes sense to be able to make one that's 55 or 45 ton.
But for a 5000 ton engine it adds little value to be able to scale it to 5005 ton, 5500 ton however is a useful step.

The size increments could vary between 5-20% trying to hit even number like so:

And so on.

I'm not sure how technically hard this would be to make, but it would enable alot of detail to smaller craft without creating thousands of entries in the dropdown.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:09:17 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Ceebees

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »
I've been playing 6.  3 on the portable package, and i seem to have found a couple hiccups.   A quick search didn't turn another instance of them up in this thread, but my apologies in advance if they're there and i just missed them. 

First, Advanced Spinal Lasers don't seem to tag themselves as Spinal mounts - specifically, i can put as many of them on my ships as i want.   The following design locked and built without issue for me:

Code: [Select]
Forrest-S class Nebula Cruiser    9 100 tons     219 Crew     1266.2 BP      TCS 182  TH 720  EM 0
3956 km/s     Armour 4-38     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 28
Maint Life 2.72 Years     MSP 522    AFR 110%    IFR 1.5%    1YR 101    5YR 1521    Max Repair 210 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 14 months    Spare Berths 0    

Westinghouse "Greyhound" S25pm080 Ion Drive (3)    Power 240    Fuel Use 30.05%    Signature 240    Exp 8%
Fuel Capacity 1 100 000 Litres    Range 72.4 billion km   (211 days at full power)

22cm C3 Advanced Spinal Ultraviolet Laser (4)   Range 256 000km     TS: 4000 km/s     Power 13-3     RM 4    ROF 25        13 13 13 13 10 8 7 6 5 5
Fire Control S04 128-4000 (1)    Max Range: 256 000 km   TS: 4000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
P-4 Miniature Gas-Cooled Reactor (4)     Total Power Output 18    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR15-R20 (1)     GPS 840     Range 15.0m km    Resolution 20
Active Search Sensor MR198-R140 (1)     GPS 29400     Range 198.8m km    Resolution 140

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Secondly, i had an issue where the game suddenly went to 15-second ticks for an extended period.   Figuring that an NPR had blundered into a Precursor (again), i left it running on auto-turns overnight, and returned the following morning to find that 90,000 seconds had passed at 15-s intervals. 

Annoyed and confused, i turned on SM mode and peeked at the combat log, only to find that an NPR meson ship had been firing at a hostile gatebuilder that was just outside of it's range for the last 24+ hours.  It seems to me like maybe they should scoot a little closer if the first 2-3000 volleys don't accomplish anything.  .  . 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:26:51 PM by Ceebees »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
First, Advanced Spinal Lasers don't seem to tag themselves as Spinal mounts - specifically, i can put as many of them on my ships as i want.   The following design locked and built without issue for me:

Not just Advanced. It seems I failed to add any restriction on the number of spinal weapons. Not sure what happened there but fixed for v6.40

Steve