Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 57743 times)

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
I wonder whether we will see some kind of alliance to exploit Brasil commitment to invading Centauri alliance. If Argentina was more of a player it would be the most obvious choice now I'm not so sure.
UK maybe, Russia would fare well against Brasil fleet and could mount effective jump point duty, but doesn't have direct competition with Brasil.
Might be worth for all the Earthly possessions.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
Personally I think Argentina needs to pull something out of the hat very soon,  have you seen the size of their fuel stocks?

They either need to get an alliance going or pick a fight they can win quickly to get some of that sweet sweet sorium!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline illrede

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • i
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »
Wow but that near-Earth-orbit fight would have been something else entirely if it was at all fair, or a surprise in the other direction.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »
"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions." (Honorverse)

This phrase applies perfectly to the Brazilian conflict in the last update.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2015, 01:29:40 AM »
"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions." (Honorverse)

This phrase applies perfectly to the Brazilian conflict in the last update.
I would argue that it applies to the US/German/Caliphate conflict as well. The Caliphate could have continued the war but it would have been reduced to one fleet that had no way to refuel, resupply, or repair within a few days. Maybe not as decisive as the Brazilian conflict which saw the entire effective force of one nation destroyed in minutes as well as a crippling of the Brazilian fleet that was then faced with complete destruction 8 hours later.

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2015, 05:36:14 AM »
I wonder, is anybody exploiting research bonuses provided by alien ruins?

But even though Caliphate lost badly I would expect a huge reaction to the battle itself as everybody would have observed how ridiculously close that battle was either  by developing FACs of their own (On related note is anybody developing fighters?) or by adjusting doctrine to better counter small attack crafts.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
I wonder, is anybody exploiting research bonuses provided by alien ruins?

But even though Caliphate lost badly I would expect a huge reaction to the battle itself as everybody would have observed how ridiculously close that battle was either  by developing FACs of their own (On related note is anybody developing fighters?) or by adjusting doctrine to better counter small attack crafts.

I'm betting the next carriers we see will have armor.

Offline Tanj

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
Indeed, plus I was a little surprised none of those FAC carriers were running a CAP (Combat Air Patrol - though Combat Space Patrol might be a better term). Might be the Caliphate need to change their tactical doctrine so they don't get caught with their pants down again :)

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
(On related note is anybody developing fighters?)

The USA may or may not have developed fighters, but it was supposedly building a carrier for them.

From Steve, September 18, 2015 (February 2106 ingame) , "The various powers didn't have tech but the USA is currently building its first carrier (24,000 ton Kennedy class) - they just don't have fighters yet :)"

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2015, 03:05:29 AM »
Anyone want to try and make some future predictions?  Here is my take:

1. Germany and the U.S. maintain their mutual defense agreement.  They are wary of France and need some time to repair their militaries and integrate the Caliphate assets they captured.

2. The UK, Canada, and Australia formally merge to form the Commonwealth.

3. Brazil and Manchuria ally to secure the nascent Manchurian arm.  It becomes the Manchurian / Brazilian arm.  This secures Manchuria against Russian aggression.  This gives Brazil a new arm to explore since they got kicked out of the Commonwealth arm.  The Manchurian / Brazilian arm also intersects with the Japanese arm.  This gives Brazil future opportunities for revenge against Japan.

4. Mars maintains their agreement with the Centauri.  Mars protects the Centauri fuel harvesters in Sol.  In exchange, the Centauri allows Mars to colonize Alpha Centauri.  However, Mars will end the mutual defense agreement with the Centauri.  The Centauri lost its military and no longer has a claim to the Japanese arm.  Instead, Mars will ally with Argentina.  I suspect Argentina is the least objectionable of the Earth powers in the eyes of Mars as they likely did not participate in colonizing Mars and got to Alpha Centauri later and separate from the other Earth powers.  Argentina can move its assets to Mars where they will be strongly defended by the Martian military.  At the same time, the Argentinian military can immediately claim the Argentinian / Martian arm as everything from Wolf 358 onward.  The proximity of the Martian and Argentinian colonies in Alpha Centauri also facilitates mutual defense.

5. The Caliphate and Centauri sign an agreement.  The Caliphate needs shipyards.  The Centauri is wary of becoming a Japanese vassal and needs to rebuild its military.  In particular, the Centauri only needs a military capable of defending Alpha Centauri and that can be built quickly.  The Caliphate trades its FAC designs and technologies to the Centauri.  This allows the Centauri to quickly rebuild its military in Alpha Centauri and firmly establish its continued independence from Japan.  In exchange, the Centauri trades some of its shipyards to the Caliphate.  This allows the Caliphate to rebuild its military and also begin rebuilding its commercial fleet.

For reference, I am thinking the following for territorial claims:

1. The Commonwealth arm is everything from Barnard's Star onward.  This includes the Manchu <-> 61 Cygni and Eta Cassiopeiae <-> Lacertae jump points being off limits.

2. The Russian arm is everything from Epsilon Eridani, WISE 0254+0223 51, or EZ Aquarii onward.  This leaves their colony in Novaya Rodina in neutral space.

3. The U.S. arm is everything from DX Cancri onward.  This includes the Eta Cassiopeiae <-> EV Lacertae jump point being off limits.  This leaves their colonies in Lalande 21185 and WX Ursae Majoris in neutral space.  The U.S. shares WX Ursae Majoris with their ally Germany.

4. The German arm is everything from Medina onward.  This includes the Neu Brandenburg <-> Wolf 358 jump point being off limits.  This leaves their colony in WX Ursae Majoris in neutral space.  Germany shares WX Ursae Majoris with their ally the U.S.

5. The Japanese arm is everything from Gliese 682 onward and a colony in Alpha Centauri.  This includes the Alpha Centauri <-> Luhman 16 and Kyokai <-> Tau Ceti jump points being off limits.

6. The Centauri is Alpha Centauri with fuel harvesters in Sol under Martian protection.  The Centauri ceded colonies in Alpha Centauri to Japan, Mars, and Argentina.

7. The Caliphate is Sol.

8. Brazil is Sol.

9. Argentina is Sol with colonies in Alpha Centauri and Procyon.  Argentina probably wants to claim the Argentinian arm as everything from Wolf 358 onward.

10. Mars is Sol with a colony in Alpha Centauri.

11. Manchu is Sol with colonies in Manchu and Tau Ceti.  This includes the Manchu <-> 61 Cygni and Kyokai <-> Tau Centi jump points being off limits.  Manchu probably wants to claim the Manchu arm as everything from Tau Ceti onward.

12. France is Sol with colonies in New France and New Quebec.  France probably wants to claim the French arm as everything from GI 452.1 onward.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:01:52 AM by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
Loved reading the latest update.  Haven't had my eyes glued to something like that in a while.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
Given that other nations were willing to fight to prevent the US and Germany from getting the Caliphate's infrastructure, I'd imagine that AC can make a similar claim to mutual defense. Also we learned that teamwork was valuable, and if the Caliphate had just stuck to the original plan instead of trying for a medieval population with little in the way of immediate benefits, AC would be a joint Brazilian/Caliphate property right now. As far as a cap goes, FACs are somewhat expensive to operate and have zero maintenance. They could have, and should have had a cap at Earth, but beyond that they were toast.

I'd have to agree that a "losers alliance" is probably likely now, since conflict is ruled out unless you can win, win big, and defend yourself afterwards.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »
Brazil and the Caliphate need to find a way out of the system. Both because of the disaster setting and mineral depletion. Unfortunately this is difficult because of all the territory claiming going on. Mars and the Centauri Federation are in less dire need, but have to know they can't stay in one system forever. Of those four, only Brazil has any military to speak of, and isn't going to be on speaking terms with the Centauri or Mars. This means a diplomatic approach is probably going to be necessary for them to find new places to expand. Additionally, the Colonial Wars proved that alliances are necessary; Brazil was the aggressor and the Caliphate were the defenders, but both lost because multiple nations moved against them. Any future wars are going to require a network of alliances to make sure that doesn't happen again in order to have any real hope of success.

The Commonwealth is in a good situation; they have their own territory, a powerful combined military, and recent tech discoveries that promise to help them secure both. If they ally with anyone, the Caliphate would be well served to pursue a relationship with them, since they have what they need (new locations to expand to, and sufficient military strength to keep away vultures while they rebuild their shipyards and military). It also works out well with the Commonwealth coming off as something of the "good guys" since the Caliphate are definitely the kicked puppies at the moment. Since the Caliphate got to recover its ground forces and troop transport, they could even work out a deal where they handle the Brazilian colonies that the Commonwealth is annexing, which would lower the Commonwealth's Badboy score if this were a Paradox game :p

I agree that Brazil and Manchuria are natural allies. Brazil needs territory, and Manchuria has territory but needs a military capable of giving Russia pause. Given how paranoid Russia tends to be, this could set up a cold war scenario, with both forces disliking the other but neither confident in their ability to wage a decisive war.

I expect Mars and the Centauri to grow closer. Mars didn't accomplish much, but they did try to stick with the Centauri even when things were bad, which will probably bring them closer together. The obvious ally for them would be Japan; Japan intervened in the conflict, and controls the rest of the Centauri arm. However, Japan's intervention was nakedly opportunistic, and I doubt they'd let the Centauri colonize their space after demanding unilateral control of it as part of their price. So I expect Centauri/Mars will have to look elsewhere.

France has lots of space, but relatively few good colony sites, so unless they're up for sharing the same worlds they might be reluctant to allow colonization in their space. Germany and the US are probably more interested in building their own alliance. The Commonwealth is already pretty large and has very little to gain from a Centauri/Mars alliance, since they'd have to split their military if they wanted to secure the Centauri system.

Russia would, oddly enough, be a great ally; they have lots of territory but limited ability to exploit it. On the other hand, Russia tends to be paranoid and xenophobic in these games; they're probably not going to be willing to share. Since Russia has no real reason to mess with anyone and no one but Manchuria has a reason to mess with Russia, I predict they may grow increasingly isolationist. Also until the Centauri can rebuild their military they have little to offer Russia as far as defense against Manchuria.

That leaves Argentina, but I'm not sure they'd move fast on this one. Argentina's space is far away from Earth and Centauri, and the resources of the Centauri system leave them in good shape for now. I'd say the Mars/Centauri alliance might start trying to work out some initial deals with Argentina, maybe a trade treaty of sorts. Meanwhile the Centauri will be rebuilding their military while trying to keep their options open.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
Great update, a riveting read!

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2015, 12:44:41 AM »
Just curious, are you going to continue this game with the release of 7.00?