Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 55768 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #810 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
As instructed:

One of the main issues I've been finding with beam ships is that continuously scaling costs for more advanced beam fire controls as tech advances. With that in mind, I'd like to propose that its costs only scale with the multipliers applied to it, the tech advances being "free" bonuses.

In further thoughts: What I'd envision to make beam FCs better: Higher base cost to compensate a bit the non-escalating costs. "Sliding" values for range and speed instead of fixed multipliers, allowing for more precise fine control of the values, with a minimum and maximum value. Said value might just be the present 25% and 4x, or it could be set by tech, starting closer to 1 and increasing back to the present possible values (or other values, although that might present some issues with absolute max range due to light speed).
We directly key in tracking speed when designing turrets, so having the same option for FC makes sense.  Selecting tonnage as well and getting a range might be advantageous.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #811 on: July 25, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
Having more scalable beam fire controls sounds really fun to me.  Then you can have a long range laser battleship that has some gigantic super expensive fire control, just so it can fight off a 100 tonne harassment fighter from a much more advanced faction.  That sort of hilarity.

Offline Titanian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #812 on: July 26, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »
And fire control tracking speed really need a nonlinear scaling factor. Otherwise x4 is always the right choice for turreted pd. All the other settings exept x1.25 get used only very rarely by me, as x1.25 is usefull for railgun pd as it futureproofs the firecontrols for when the next level of fire control speed instantly upgrades all non-turreted weapons. All the other settings I don't really use, as my bfc tracking tech is usually higher than my ship speeds anyway.

Finer granularity would be nice for several settings, especially capacitor recharge. Then one could finally produce 10cm laser with 1.5 recharge rate instead of 2, and so on. Would be especially useful for particle beams with all their odd power requirements.

Offline jwoodward48

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
« Reply #813 on: September 23, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »
In the System Information screen, Jupiter is listed as having the same magnetic field strength as Earth.  According to Wikipedia, this should be around 20 times that of Earth.  (Unless I misinterpreted "magnetic field" and it's measuring something different instead. )

(Also, Saturn should be somewhat less than Earth, but the two are listed as having the same magnetic field.  They're close enough that it's tricky, since magnetic field strength varies over the surface of Earth, but Saturn's average is less than the typical minimum for Earth, so it should be something from 0. 32 to 0. 84. )

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • S
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
« Reply #814 on: September 23, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
In the System Information screen, Jupiter is listed as having the same magnetic field strength as Earth.  According to Wikipedia, this should be around 20 times that of Earth.  (Unless I misinterpreted "magnetic field" and it's measuring something different instead. )

(Also, Saturn should be somewhat less than Earth, but the two are listed as having the same magnetic field.  They're close enough that it's tricky, since magnetic field strength varies over the surface of Earth, but Saturn's average is less than the typical minimum for Earth, so it should be something from 0. 32 to 0. 84. )

Thanks for mentioning. I will update them. At the moment, magnetic field isn't used for any in-game function so the discrepancy hasn't affected anything.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53