Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 147279 times)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2017, 07:13:37 AM »
government type presets are kaput?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
government type presets are kaput?

For the moment. They adjusted the starting balance of various industrial installations and the species characteristics. I intend to add variety in other areas to replace that.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2017, 05:42:42 AM »
For the moment. They adjusted the starting balance of various industrial installations and the species characteristics. I intend to add variety in other areas to replace that.

How will this affect an Earth based start with multiple NPRs on the home wolrd? I use the different government types to make a (small) difference between the NPRs on Earth. If they are all one starting race will all the NPRs on Earth be identical?

Ian
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:32 AM »
How will this affect an Earth based start with multiple NPRs on the home wolrd? I use the different government types to make a (small) difference between the NPRs on Earth. If they are all one starting race will all the NPRs on Earth be identical?

Ian

The gov types just modified the species characteristics and balance between different installations. You have more flexibility now as you can modify these values directly.

In addition, they can now have differences in pop density, research rates, production rates, growth rates, etc. which were not available before. I also plan to add some species specialization for research. There will be other additions too once I start planning campaigns. In all, there should be a lot more diversity than before, not less.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
One possibly interesting racial characteristic that might be interesting could be crew 'size' and crew 'efficiency', for lack of better words.

Taking a current 'standard' race (so 100% crew size, 100% crew efficiency), lets say a ship takes 300 crew, and needs 1000 tons in crew quarters for this (totally arbitary numbers).

A race with 90% crew size would only need 900 tons in crew quarters, instead of the 1000 tons.
A race with 90% crew efficiency would need 333 crew instead of the 300.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
Along that note, it has always slightly bothered me that Aurora refers to "crew" and to population generally as if every unit was an individual. Sometimes I roleplay a blob with no real individual parts.

I'd prefer a term like "humanmass equivalents" or something.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
i'd like to specify all the gender pronouns my population uses. i am thinking about 20, maybe 24 to be on the safe side.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
Could it also please toast bread and paint my house?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »
How about do my homework and chores?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
Can we please get back on topic?

I really want to hear how it is gonna clean my windows without leaving streaks.

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
Birds arent going to like that.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2017, 03:53:13 AM »
One possibly interesting racial characteristic that might be interesting could be crew 'size' and crew 'efficiency', for lack of better words.

Taking a current 'standard' race (so 100% crew size, 100% crew efficiency), lets say a ship takes 300 crew, and needs 1000 tons in crew quarters for this (totally arbitary numbers).

A race with 90% crew size would only need 900 tons in crew quarters, instead of the 1000 tons.
A race with 90% crew efficiency would need 333 crew instead of the 300.

I would prefer if this was technology dependent instead.

A modern Zumwalt class warship of ~15000 tons have a crew of 140 ( 1 man per 107 ton )
A WW2 Pensacola class warship of ~12000 tons had a crew of 1200 ( 1 man per 10 ton )

And I'm pretty sure our "race" has not evolved that much during the last 70 years in terms of efficiency, or what standards of crew compartments we except. Rather the other way around a crewman today probably expects alot better quarters and facilities then one did back during WW2.

Why not have a separate technology line called "crew automation", or even have specific automation techs reducing crew needs of each research area, by offloading administrative or repetitive work to computers/automation?

It could also be interesting to swap between 2, 3 and 4 shift (12,8 or 6 hours per day "on duty" station respectively), since this would impact morale and crew needed.

Offline Felixg

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »
Hell I would like to see the option to have crewless ships completely. (Granted I just fluffed all my ships as being crewless anyway, even though the game forced me to have crews)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:25 AM »
I would prefer if this was technology dependent instead.

A modern Zumwalt class warship of ~15000 tons have a crew of 140 ( 1 man per 107 ton )
A WW2 Pensacola class warship of ~12000 tons had a crew of 1200 ( 1 man per 10 ton )

And I'm pretty sure our "race" has not evolved that much during the last 70 years in terms of efficiency, or what standards of crew compartments we except. Rather the other way around a crewman today probably expects alot better quarters and facilities then one did back during WW2.

Why not have a separate technology line called "crew automation", or even have specific automation techs reducing crew needs of each research area, by offloading administrative or repetitive work to computers/automation?

It could also be interesting to swap between 2, 3 and 4 shift (12,8 or 6 hours per day "on duty" station respectively), since this would impact morale and crew needed.

Except that the Pensacola and Zumwalt classes don't necessarily assign different amounts of space per crewman. The crew quarters stat provided in Aurora is specifically about how much space/weight of the ship is dedicated to the crew's comfort. The order of a magnitude difference between weight available to each crewman is a deceptive one and should be taken instead as various bits of ship equipment taking up comparatively more weight and space due to increased size of the weapon systems and other equipment while improved automation and control systems means less need for manual handling of equipment and that the ship can be controlled with fewer people.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
I'd agree, would be great to see a tech line that reduced the crew requirements of weapon systems and equipment etc. Perhaps have it as a drop down option in the design screen with a corresponding adjustment to costs of that piece of kit. Can then way up having ships with small crew but expensive v larger crews to manage and train but cheaper.