Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 147192 times)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
Stock images are possible, although probably not on the first tab. Main problem would be finding enough images without copyright problems.
I have a friend (one of the players in my multiplayer game) who's working on a procedural spacecraft image generator.  He's aware of the potential interaction with Aurora, although I'm not going to volunteer his services flat-out.  I can ask if you'd be interested.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Darknote

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »
Actually wondering if Aurora C# will be real-time or turn based?

Besides that, thank you Steve :D!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Still turn based.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
Actually wondering if Aurora C# will be real-time or turn based?

Besides that, thank you Steve :D!

It will be the same as the VB6 version.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Darknote

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
Another screenshot of the class design window, showing the assignment of ordnance and fighters and a more detailed component breakdown. This combines the functionality of two tabs from the VB6 version. Fighters / Ordnance is added and removed by double-clicking.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:42:40 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Darknote

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
I have a friend (one of the players in my multiplayer game) who's working on a procedural spacecraft image generator.  He's aware of the potential interaction with Aurora, although I'm not going to volunteer his services flat-out.  I can ask if you'd be interested.

If I do add images for spacecraft to the class window, I would be happy to showcase his work. Although if you have a procedural generator, it sounds like he would take a file and generate an image from it. One option would be some form of export from Aurora if that helps.

Offline McArren

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
BTW For those familiar with C#, I have found one of the major advantages over VB6 (beyond the obvious advantages) is using LINQ and Lambda expressions to retrieve data from collections - very useful and powerful. 

I've recently started playing Aurora.   And i'm programmer myself, and now i'm absolutely happy reading this, and watching how C# Aurora progresses.   Maybe because i absolutely love C#, maybe because i really fell in love with Aurora, or most likely both. 

Happy to see that you're liking it too.   Also, have you considered using WPF instead of Windows Forms? It allows for much cleaner and much more flexible UI(And honestly, it just looks gorgeous).   And at least for me personally it was really easy to start using it, coming from winforms with c# and winAPI for c++ before that. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:03:49 AM by McArren »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
If I do add images for spacecraft to the class window, I would be happy to showcase his work. Although if you have a procedural generator, it sounds like he would take a file and generate an image from it. One option would be some form of export from Aurora if that helps.
I think that was the idea.  I may ping him and let him know that if he does decide to go further, you're interested in seeing what happens.
That said, it would still be a good way to get lots of images for this window without worrying about rights.  And I think he's even able to set it up for distinct styles....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:25:10 AM by byron »
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »
Can we get a glimpse of the Glossary tab?

Offline Darknote

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8438.  msg88665#msg88665 date=1459437757
It will be the same as the VB6 version. 

Ah I see! Thank you for the reply 83athom and Steve :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:16:06 AM by Darknote »

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Can we get a glimpse of the Glossary tab?

At the moment it is the same text as the existing VB6 glossary tab.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »
I've recently started playing Aurora.   And i'm programmer myself, and now i'm absolutely happy reading this, and watching how C# Aurora progresses.   Maybe because i absolutely love C#, maybe because i really fell in love with Aurora, or most likely both. 

Happy to see that you're liking it too.   Also, have you considered using WPF instead of Windows Forms? It allows for much cleaner and much more flexible UI(And honestly, it just looks gorgeous).   And at least for me personally it was really easy to start using it, coming from winforms with c# and winAPI for c++ before that.

I started out with C++ on Windows 3.1 :). I have used WPF in the past and it is more flexible than forms. However, I am a lot more familiar with forms and Aurora doesn't need the graphical advantages of WPF, so I decided it would be easier and faster to use forms.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
The ship list tab of the class design window. I've added a variety of ways to sort the ships in the class.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides

Offline skeolan

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
Pretty excited about this overall! One question: there doesn't seem to be any highlighting in the treeview showing which ship class you actually have selected - so that while on the "ships in class" or "ordnance/fighters/components" tab, it's going to be hard to tell which particular ship class one is looking at.

Would you be able to add some more UI hints (either adding a highlight of the selected class in the tree view, or some other adjustment) to make that clearer to the user? (I suppose one could flip back to the "Class design" tab if one forgot which class they were working on, which is not exactly a great hardship.)

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »
Still, it's the little bits of polish like this that make the game shine  8)
Definitely support UI hints and other tweaks to make things more intuitive.