Author Topic: C# Ground Combat  (Read 42140 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Ground Combat
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
It's either shift or control clicking on multiple ones.
That was it, not at all intuitive it seems.

It's the default windows behaviour.  It seems a lot of C# works that way, so now Aurora does as well 'cause why write all new code just to do a thing differently than the way the language pre-built it?

Offline QuantumPete

• Leading Rate
  • Q
  • Discord Username: QuantumPete
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2020, 04:24:05 AM »
So I have a question about ranks when it comes to RP.

According to my (limited) understanding, a platoon is generally commanded by a lieutenant, a company by a captain, a battalion by a lieutenant-colonel and a brigade by a brigadier-general.  So as you go up platoon->company->battalion->brigade, you end up skipping some ranks, like major and colonel.  I understand that that these are typical ranks and that a major can command a company.  Though generally a major would be some sort of XO or operational officer within a battalion.

My issue/question is this: When using automated assignments (and preserving my sanity), commanders get relieved when they go up in rank, meaning in my RP scenario a captain going up to major would lose his company, but wouldn't be able to get a battalion.  He's now sitting around trying to accumulate promotion score to get back into a formation.

Could we get either min/max ranks per formation (so I can put major/lieutenant-colonel for a battalion) or better yet, HQ Staff Officer positions? Where they can add some part of their skills to the formation they're in?

Offline Polestar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • P
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2020, 08:10:26 AM »
I have had the same question. I could have resolved it by making or asking for a altered list of ranks. The way I actually resolved it was to place companies in cohorts, and cohorts in battalions.

In reality, modern military units often incorporate ~3 subordinate units within the span of control of a superior formation - and if they diverge significantly from this, as with companies do in a battalion, then, in order to widen the effective span of control, they set up some way to support the superior officer with intermediate subordinates. Such as Majors supporting the Lieutenant Colonel typically commanding a battalion.

A way for Aurora to natively support this phenomenon would to assign a "span of control" to every HQ. This would replace the officer command stat. All such HQs could be assigned a limited number of subordinate formations and directly attached units, as well as a limited size, before penalties kick in. This limit could be increased if an "executive officer" or "second-in-command" were assigned, having a rank less than the commanding officer, and at least equal to the maximum of any officer commanding any subordinate formation.

A Battalion would, under this proposed system, have a Lieutenant Colonel in command, a Major as second-in command, and have sufficient "span of control" to accommodate the number of units and subordinate formations Steve desires such formations to be able to handle.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:25:41 PM by Polestar »

Offline ranger044

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
Quote from: QuantumPete link=topic=9792. msg140101#msg140101 date=1597656245

According to my (limited) understanding, a platoon is generally commanded by a lieutenant, a company by a captain, a battalion by a lieutenant-colonel and a brigade by a brigadier-general.   So as you go up platoon->company->battalion->brigade, you end up skipping some ranks, like major and colonel.   I understand that that these are typical ranks and that a major can command a company.   Though generally a major would be some sort of XO or operational officer within a battalion. 

My issue/question is this: When using automated assignments (and preserving my sanity), commanders get relieved when they go up in rank, meaning in my RP scenario a captain going up to major would lose his company, but wouldn't be able to get a battalion.   He's now sitting around trying to accumulate promotion score to get back into a formation. 

Could we get either min/max ranks per formation (so I can put major/lieutenant-colonel for a battalion) or better yet, HQ Staff Officer positions? Where they can add some part of their skills to the formation they're in?

You can do this to a degree.  When designing you formations you can pick the rank that commands it.  You can't put a range in it but you can still pick who commands what.  In my games I tend to use Majors at the battalion level and LTCs for Regiments and Colonels for Brigades.  I usually delete Major Generals and Generals of the Army.

Offline H11F

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »
Quote from: QuantumPete link=topic=9792. msg140101#msg140101 date=1597656245

According to my (limited) understanding, a platoon is generally commanded by a lieutenant, a company by a captain, a battalion by a lieutenant-colonel and a brigade by a brigadier-general.   So as you go up platoon->company->battalion->brigade, you end up skipping some ranks, like major and colonel.   I understand that that these are typical ranks and that a major can command a company.   Though generally a major would be some sort of XO or operational officer within a battalion. 

My issue/question is this: When using automated assignments (and preserving my sanity), commanders get relieved when they go up in rank, meaning in my RP scenario a captain going up to major would lose his company, but wouldn't be able to get a battalion.   He's now sitting around trying to accumulate promotion score to get back into a formation. 

This can also be different within different countries.  For example, in the Canadian Army: a Major is an OC - Officer Commanding.  An OC commands a Company.  The Deputy Commanding Officer of an Inf Bn is also a Major, albeit a senior one.  The Pl Comd's are typically Lt or Capt, depending on the type of Pl.  For example, a Mech Inf Pl is typically commanding by an Lt.  Support Pl's, such as Recce, Mortar, Pioneer, Anti-Armour, are typically (though not always) commanded by a Capt.  And of course, that is just using an Inf Bn as an example.

Now, how your RP is up to you.  But I typically follow what I am familiar with.  Plus, let's me use all those wonderful ranks!

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline QuantumPete

• Leading Rate
  • Q
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2020, 02:05:49 AM »
Quote from: H11F link=topic=9792. msg140126#msg140126 date=1597704866
The Pl Comd's are typically Lt or Capt, depending on the type of Pl.   For example, a Mech Inf Pl is typically commanding by an Lt.   Support Pl's, such as Recce, Mortar, Pioneer, Anti-Armour, are typically (though not always) commanded by a Capt.

Right, so let's say in my infantry brigade I have three infantry battalions and an artillery battalion, I could make the artillery companies commanded by a major in stead of a captain, but that means that a captain with an amazing Artillery Skill bonus languishes in an infantry battalion, until he gets promoted.  Likewise, an excellent captain with great front-line bonuses gets a promotion and finds himself in an artillery company, where he's far less useful.

I think having Staff Officers would solve all of those issues.  They could be added like HQs (much like FFDs are) and you can then decide that your company needs just an XO, but your battalion requires a logistics officer as well.  Your brigade additionally an operations officer and a signals officer.  Heck, let us create our own staff officer positions like we can Naval Commands.  That way my Imperial Guards can have a commissar to watch over them  ;D

Offline xenoscepter

• Captain
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2020, 02:40:48 AM »
I think you can freeze promotions using a button on the Commander Window, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You can however make a medal with a huge negative promotion score and that will accomplish the same thing, namely, making sure your good Frontline Captain doesn't end up a Major.

I believe you can SpaceMaster demote officers, though that might be unappealing to you.

Offline QuantumPete

• Leading Rate
  • Q
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2020, 06:05:13 AM »
Quote from: xenoscepter link=topic=9792. msg140133#msg140133 date=1597736448
I think you can freeze promotions using a button on the Commander Window, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You can however make a medal with a huge negative promotion score and that will accomplish the same thing, namely, making sure your good Frontline Captain doesn't end up a Major.

I believe you can SpaceMaster demote officers, though that might be unappealing to you.

I'm not worried about them promoting, I just don't want to have promotion gaps from captain to lieutenant-colonel for example, while not having to make one branch of my military use a different rank structure than another. 

I mean, I can always go say that a lieutenant-colonel commands a battalion and a colonel a brigade, though that's not correct based on NATO military ranks and usual assignments.  Perhaps I will go with the idea of having intermediary units like a demi-battalion (or company-group) so I can put a major in the chain of command, but it breaks the immersion for me.

Offline Elvin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2020, 07:36:59 AM »
You are able to rename all of the ranks to whatever you want, if that helps. Then you can just adjust the names to suit your play style, and assume any intermediate ranks are handled behind the scenes or whatever you wish. The game is open to all sorts of RP interpretations.

The following users thanked this post: QuantumPete

Offline ranger044

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
Theoretically you could make xo positions, make an hq unit by itself, or with some FFD or Supply, pick a rank to command it and then have it support another formation.  I don't think it would actually do anything as any extra hq is redundant though.  If you gave it some supply units and FFD it might be useful if some Frontline units die off.  It would make for good role-playing, but even I think that would be overly micro and time consuming.

You could also put it in the OOB, like have a Battalion HQ > Battalion Staff > Battalion Support > Company HQ > Company Staff > Company Support > Company Line Units.  Again, that's a lot of formations and micro but it could theoretically do something

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72