Author Topic: How do we resize windows?  (Read 6108 times)

Offline NuclearStudent (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
How do we resize windows?
« on: April 12, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
How do I resize windows for screens that are too small?

I'd used ResizeEnable on the Visual Basic Version. Unfortunately, ResizeEnable isn't autoscaling C#Aurora, so I'll need a different option.

Clearly everybody else is figuring out how to play Aurora: how are you guys doing it? It's quite literally unplayable on many laptops otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: Franss22

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
Re: How do we resize windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
If your screen is a lot too small I think you're out of luck for now, but mine was only a little too small and moving the task bar to the side of the screen made enough difference  to play, along with a bit of pushing the windows up to fully read the bottom buttons). So maybe you'll be lucky as well?

• N
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:14:26 PM »
ah well, just poor luck.

Offline acantoni

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »
Not sure this will solve the issue you have but you might try your luck with SCALING in Windows 10

For example, I am on a 4k Monitor running usually resolution 1920x1080 at the recommended 125% scaling.   
With these settings, I CANNOT see the Aurora screens even though the resolution recommended is 1400x900

What to do? change the scaling!

1) Check your resolution and scaling

https://i. snipboard. io/DSTe6u. jpg
and how it looks in Aurora, notice i cannot see the bottom part of the menu

https://i. snipboard. io/AYtJqX. jpg
2) I then changed the scaling to 100%, this is how it looks now and i can play

https://i. snipboard. io/0Vu9Hy. jpg

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue on how to play =) I am having trouble attaching URL or image but anyway you got the link just remove spaces from the URL to see them if in this forum they don't show automatically or even don't follow images just go to DISPLAY in windows and reduce the scaling

Aca
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:01:38 PM by acantoni »

The following users thanked this post: Triato, NuclearStudent, Awazruk, Tunsku

Legius

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »
Quote from: NuclearStudent link=topic=10657. msg121409#msg121409 date=1586730889
Clearly everybody else is figuring out how to play Aurora: how are you guys doing it? It's quite literally unplayable on many laptops otherwise.

If you're using linux and running Aurora through wine you can use the xrandr command to scale your display above your screens resolution with only a bit of weirdness.  It is very playable if you have a magnifier or can handle the eye-strain.

Unfortunately for Windows users you are probably going to need to get a cheap monitor, a virtual machine, or something of that sort until a new solution is discovered.

• N
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:08:51 AM »
Thank you so much! It worked!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 04:42:22 AM »
How do I resize windows for screens that are too small?

I'd used ResizeEnable on the Visual Basic Version. Unfortunately, ResizeEnable isn't autoscaling C#Aurora, so I'll need a different option.

HDMI cable to the TV

BlueTooth to the TV

Video cable to a secondary monitor and adjust the virtual screen to flow over both.

Offline Triato

• T
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
Not sure this will solve the issue you have but you might try your luck with SCALING in Windows 10

For example, I am on a 4k Monitor running usually resolution 1920x1080 at the recommended 125% scaling.   
With these settings, I CANNOT see the Aurora screens even though the resolution recommended is 1400x900

What to do? change the scaling!

1) Check your resolution and scaling

https://i. snipboard. io/DSTe6u. jpg
and how it looks in Aurora, notice i cannot see the bottom part of the menu

https://i. snipboard. io/AYtJqX. jpg
2) I then changed the scaling to 100%, this is how it looks now and i can play

https://i. snipboard. io/0Vu9Hy. jpg

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue on how to play =) I am having trouble attaching URL or image but anyway you got the link just remove spaces from the URL to see them if in this forum they don't show automatically or even don't follow images just go to DISPLAY in windows and reduce the scaling

Aca
This didnt work for me. Aparently I can only make it worse by scalling or changing res. I did however found a "solution" by pressing alt +ctrl+ left arrow you change the screen orientation and can see the bottom. Alt+ctrl+ up arrow changes it back.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
Is there a simpler way of doing this? Im a dinossaur with tech and all the answers here are either unavaliable or too hard for me to figure out. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:39:26 AM »
Is there a simpler way of doing this? Im a dinossaur with tech and all the answers here are either unavaliable or too hard for me to figure out.

It doesn't get any simpler than plug in or wirelessly connect to a second monitor or TV and adjust Windows display settings.

Offline srndacful

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
Look, Aurora not able to be viewed on a resolution of less than 1440*900 (or whatever size that may be) is not a problem.
I have Infinite Screen Installed, and it enables 'moving the screen' to see the rest of the program.

The main problem is that Aurora automatically sets it's window to the same size (i. e. resolution) of my own window, and I can't enlarge it to 1440*900 resolution. 

So if Steve would only set the minimum window size to 1440*900 (or whatever else the minimum size he envisioned it played in actually is) I would be able to move the viewpoint of my 1366*762 screen to see the 'officially invisible' parts. 

Naturally, if that is completely impossible in C#, then, naturally, I'll just have to suck it up and wait until I can replace this crappy machine of mine with a (marginally better) rig.  However, if it's possible . . . 

Cheers!
srndacful

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:54 AM »
Look, Aurora not able to be viewed on a resolution of less than 1440*900 (or whatever size that may be) is not a problem.
I have Infinite Screen Installed, and it enables 'moving the screen' to see the rest of the program.

The main problem is that Aurora automatically sets it's window to the same size (i. e. resolution) of my own window, and I can't enlarge it to 1440*900 resolution. 

So if Steve would only set the minimum window size to 1440*900 (or whatever else the minimum size he envisioned it played in actually is) I would be able to move the viewpoint of my 1366*762 screen to see the 'officially invisible' parts. 

Naturally, if that is completely impossible in C#, then, naturally, I'll just have to suck it up and wait until I can replace this crappy machine of mine with a (marginally better) rig.  However, if it's possible . . . 

Cheers!
srndacful

Uh. . . no it doesn't.

On my height 768 laptop all of Aurora's windows come out the full 900 height or taller.  When I hook up to a second (far larger) monitor, most of those windows aren't capable of enlarging, and stay 1440x900.

So I'm pretty sure the problem is your Infinite Screen app and not C# Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: srndacful

Offline srndacful

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10657. msg122500#msg122500 date=1586876574
Quote from: srndacful link=topic=10657. msg122482#msg122482 date=1586874783

The main problem is that Aurora automatically sets it's window to the same size (i.  e.  resolution) of my own window, and I can't enlarge it to 1440*900 resolution.   

Naturally, if that is completely impossible in C#, then, naturally, I'll just have to suck it up and wait until I can replace this crappy machine of mine with a (marginally better) rig.   However, if it's possible .  .  .   

Cheers!
srndacful

Uh.  .  .  no it doesn't.

On my height 768 laptop all of Aurora's windows come out the full 900 height or taller.   When I hook up to a second (far larger) monitor, most of those windows aren't capable of enlarging, and stay 1440x900.

So I'm pretty sure the problem is your Infinite Screen app and not C# Aurora.

Okay - belay that.
I'm a moron, and have completely forgotten how Infinite Screen works - you have to set the windows size yourself. 

Thanks for putting up with me, and cheers!
Happy gaming, srndacful.

Offline dr125

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
How do you do that? I am having the same issue of screens being cut off even with Infinite screen being used. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
How do you do that? I am having the same issue of screens being cut off even with Infinite screen being used.

I don't actually know, never having used Infinite Screen myself, but srndacful said:

". . .how Infinite Screen works - you have to set the windows size yourself. 
srndacful"