Author Topic: Streamlining gameplay  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Demiurge (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Streamlining gameplay
« on: April 17, 2020, 06:21:34 AM »
Been trying to compile a list of changes that could be made even better for C#.   I'll try to list them briefly without blabbering but I felt it's important because a lot of things like research/construction queues are great adds but could really use some finetuning. 

Construction queue:
Allow the queue to take partial construction capacity up to the set point.   For example if a job using only 10% finishes then the next project requiring 15% will begin immediately and not waste capacity, when another 10% job finishes it fills up and the next project in the queue gets the remaining 5%. 

Research queue:
Same as above.   But furthermore allow me to tag a project as a priority which will automatically absorb any unused laboratories that get built or free up without new projects in the queue. 

Civilian freighter contracts:
Setting up contracts is quite cumbersome and could benefit from a button system instead of a dropdown menu.   Populate the supply/demand lists with clickable buttons and ask for the number input. 

Planet overview UI:
The planet overview window is extremely heavy on text right now.   It would be nice if in front of each text field for construction factories, mines, terraforming stations etc.   it would have a visual icon so that you can tell what you're looking at at a glance. 

Shipyard queue:
Add a queue to the shipyard.   Allow me to set a desired 10 or however many ships I want of a particular class instead of having to check if it finished the first set so I can queue up more. 

Shipyard capacity:
Remove the options for adding 1000, 5000, 10000 shipyard capacity.   The continual capacity now has the option to set a desired max and this is the far superior option.   Adding static amounts is a legacy feature and no longer useful. 

Prototype improvements:
Create a window that lists all current and previous prototypes and save them separately from your current game.   This will allow players to re-use prototypes they've created in older games and share them more easily.   Would be very useful for sharing full ship designs and creating a new player starter pack of designs, making the game a little more accessible. 

Edit:
Sub fleets:
Have an option for making each sub fleet act independently using the standing orders.  This would allow for example to have 5 survey ships in the same fleet all doing separate survey activities. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:29:19 AM by Demiurge »

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius, JuergenSchT

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Streamlining gameplay
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »
For a managed multiplayer game it would be extremely useful if people could create their designs in a local copy of the game, export and the game master imports them into his master game. Same with all the stuff that you can create (ships, ground troops, medals, etc.)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:26 AM »
Saving and loading ground unit and formation templates would be very useful for starting new games. Also it would help for people who don't want the extra hurdle of learning every detail of the ground unit system immediately. Also production queues for ground units would help this too.
While you're right about the 'legacy' add shipyard tonnage buttons arent really needed now you can stop continuous capacity at a set cap I am using that feature to estimate roughly how long the yard would take to reach a certian size. Its not extremely accurate since expansion speed increases as it expands so the yard finishes faster, but if this function was removed it then continuous capacity would need an completion estimate added. The calculation could be more accurate too taking into account the accelerated growth rate.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
For a managed multiplayer game it would be extremely useful if people could create their designs in a local copy of the game, export and the game master imports them into his master game. Same with all the stuff that you can create (ships, ground troops, medals, etc.)

And if in similar fashion a list of all techs the designs are based on could be exported from the master game to be imported into the players local copies.