Author Topic: SpaceMarines Collection of Tutorials and youtube videos - Aurora 4x C#  (Read 68334 times)

Offline Gerbil

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
Re: SpaceMarines Collection of Various Video Tutorials - Aurora 4x C#
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2020, 01:10:30 AM »
I'm new to the game, so anything and everything is priceless, thank you for taking the time and making the effort :)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2020, 01:19:46 AM »
I'm new to the game, so anything and everything is priceless, thank you for taking the time and making the effort :)

Thank you for the kind words, I will continue to make further videos, am gonna be trying to take the time and do ship combat 101 (2) for the next video but who knows.

The following users thanked this post: Gerbil

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Aurora 4x C# - Refuelling, Ordinance, Maintenance Stations 101
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Darknote, Geezer, Pedroig

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Aurora 4x C# - Ship Design Philosophy (1) - Methodology
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Geezer, Pedroig

Offline redivider

• Leading Rate
  • r
Re: Aurora 4x C# - Tugs and the math behind them 101
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
Quote from: Rastaman link=topic=11003. msg128665#msg128665 date=1588019814
Quote from: SpaceMarine link=topic=11003. msg128628#msg128628 date=1588015612
Quote from: AlitarSemiramis link=topic=11003. msg128595#msg128595 date=1588008155
Just watched your fuel harvesting tutorial, so added a request about tugs, curious how you got your fuel stations to Saturn.

https://youtu. be/4iZCmx4youA

The easy math for any ship is: speed = [50000 x power]/[total tonnage].  In words, an engine power of 10% of the displacement of a ship means a speed of 5000 km/s. 

10% = 5000km/s,
5% = 2500km/s,
1% = 500km/s
etc. 

There is one snag: You can easily factory-build space stations so large that your tug will not be able to overtake celestial objects, which have their own orbital speeds around the star.  For example, Steve's tug in the default game has an engine power of 4500.  If you try to tow a 5 million ton orbital habitat, you will achieve a speed of 44km/s, which is not enough to overtake and reach Mercury.  Your tug will chase the planet forever.  Other systems might have faster planets still.

In fact I was (as usual) wrong.

As 1. 9 isnt out yet i decided this is an interesting problem you posed.  Then I numerically solved it for a circular orbit and also for an elliptical for kicks.  See: https://puu. sh/FDKft/b845a4e560. gif

After looking at this for a bit I realized it looks like its approaching some limiting circle if the speed is slower than the orbiting speed of the target

After a day of googling I found out a bunch of stuff.  These curves are called "Pursuit curves" to the well-initiated and the original problem dates to the 1700s while the case for a circular orbit was actually first solved in 1921.

The original pursuit problem was posed by French mathematician and hydrographer Pierre Bouger in 1732.  It was published in the French
 "M´emoires de l’Acad´emie Royale des Sciences" and deals with a pirate ship pursuing a merchant vessel.

In this paper https://mse. redwoods. edu/darnold/math55/DEproj/sp08/mseverdia/pursuit. pdf they find that the limit circle has a very simple formula too, its simple the multiplier of the projectiles speed relative to the targets speed times the radius of the orbiting circle of the target as concluded here https://puu. sh/FDKkO/63bf1dc0c5. png .

Cool beans  8).  (also sorry for spamming spess muhreen)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Aurora 4x C# - Alien Xenocide 101!
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:22 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Geezer, Pedroig

Offline Graymane

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
I love that you are doing tutorials.   My feedback is as follows:

• Who is the intended audience?  I am a new player.   These are way too advanced for me.   They seem to require a lot of already existing knowledge of the game.
  • The order of the youtube playlist seems really chaotic to me.   I'd like to see some kind of ordered progression.   From a Basic to Intermediate to Advanced series.
  • I have no idea how to even start playing really.   I'm currently just reading the wiki.   There are such a bewildering number of screens and buttons and options.

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »

• Who is the intended audience?  I am a new player.   These are way too advanced for me.   They seem to require a lot of already existing knowledge of the game.
  • The order of the youtube playlist seems really chaotic to me.   I'd like to see some kind of ordered progression.   From a Basic to Intermediate to Advanced series.
  • I have no idea how to even start playing really.   I'm currently just reading the wiki.   There are such a bewildering number of screens and buttons and options.

If you are new to the game, try the videos that are called "Conventional Start" plus the video that is about the New Game Options (or Start Options or something like that). Those should help you with more of the basics.
[/list]

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2020, 01:23:24 AM »

1. Target audience is whoever finds something from them, I just started making them because there were no others then it became more serious, so I never thought about it in that way.
2. The reason for that is again those are supposed to be rough "quickfire" tutorials that dont cover one topic over the span of many videos, its why I created the conventional start series, and now the ship combat and ship design philosophy series.
3. I understand this and I will be looking to implement more and more easier beginner friendly tutorials.

Now something I have learned from all the feedback is that I cannot give everyone what they want, I can make videos that do well with the majority of the people but I wont be able to answer every question or fix whatever your issue is in a particular instance, but what I will be doing to try to open it up a bit more is keeping my quickfire series as one thing and then having these other series, I will then label them according to what I believe is their level of knowledge you require to understand them.

The following users thanked this post: Graymane

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Aurora 4x C# - Basic Commercial Ship Design (1)
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2020, 03:16:12 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Geezer

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2020, 03:50:26 AM »

Aurora takes a while to get used to. It is not holding your hands. So be patient, read and watch some vids. It‘ll come over time, but the initial cliff is very repelling.

One tip: there is an older series from Quill18 where he played VB6 Aurora. It is a good source of basic gameplay mechanics. Helped me a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Graymane

Offline ManOfTheMoment

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2020, 04:43:28 AM »
I am also new to the game and your tutorials are extremely helpful. 

Thanks for your time

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2020, 05:13:22 AM »
I am also new to the game and your tutorials are extremely helpful. 

Thanks for your time

Thank you for the comment, any comments like this am super appreciative of, more videos are on the way :)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Aurora 4x C# - Basic Military Ship Design (1) - Mechanics
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Pedroig

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023