Author Topic: Dealing with aether rifts  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Kamilo (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
Dealing with aether rifts
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
I discovered a aether rift a few systems away from Sol. Immediately I dispatched my diplomacy ship and military fleet (just in case shtf).

My diplomacy ship detected two vessels of unknown origin. Turns out the race didn‘t want to exchange information. My military fleet got rid of them without any resistance.

Now I‘m wondering how I can monitor the aether rift without stationing a fleet there (too much micro since they gotta resupply once in a while). Sadly the system dosen‘t have any planets just two stars.

Does anyone got into such an situation already or has a idea how to deal with it?

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: Dealing with aether rifts
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
I discovered a aether rift a few systems away from Sol. Immediately I dispatched my diplomacy ship and military fleet (just in case shtf).

My diplomacy ship detected two vessels of unknown origin. Turns out the race didn‘t want to exchange information. My military fleet got rid of them without any resistance.

Now I‘m wondering how I can monitor the aether rift without stationing a fleet there (too much micro since they gotta resupply once in a while). Sadly the system dosen‘t have any planets just two stars.

Does anyone got into such an situation already or has a idea how to deal with it?

Build a space station with enough maintenance modules to support your fleet, and tow it (or transport it in a hangar) to the desired spot.
While your fleet is at the same location, their maintenance clock won't run and they won't suffer breakdowns.
Instead, they will use MSP from the station's supply. MSP per year = 1/4 of each ship's BP cost.
In the long run, the MSP cost of constant maintenance is the same as the MSP cost of overhaul for the same service duration.
You will save MSP overall because you won't be spending any MSP on breakdowns.
And you can give your station as much MSP storage as you like to reduce the frequency of needed resupply missions.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »

Get a survey ship with a sensor buoy with passives and toss it close enough to the rift. It should just sit there and spot any contacts that come through.

Offline Vastrat

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
Deploy a few sensor buoys, it's low cost and effective.

Offline Kamilo (OP)

• K
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:58 AM »

Build a space station with enough maintenance modules to support your fleet, and tow it (or transport it in a hangar) to the desired spot.
While your fleet is at the same location, their maintenance clock won't run and they won't suffer breakdowns.
Instead, they will use MSP from the station's supply. MSP per year = 1/4 of each ship's BP cost.
In the long run, the MSP cost of constant maintenance is the same as the MSP cost of overhaul for the same service duration.
And you can give your station as much MSP storage as you like to reduce the frequency of needed resupply missions.

Do I need to put as many maintenance modules to suit the tonnage of the fleet or just of a single ship, e.g x maintenance modules for 151k tons or x modules for 10k tons?

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
You could also just station a small commercial ship with commercial sensors.  It should be enough to tow an engineless "fighter" there.  A bit gamey, but possible.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Do I need to put as many maintenance modules to suit the tonnage of the fleet or just of a single ship, e.g x maintenance modules for 151k tons or x modules for 10k tons?

The tonnage of the entire fleet. They work exactly the same as planetary maintenance facilities.

The support rate is the same as the planetary facilities. 1kt per module to start, improvable with research.

(In VB, you only needed enough to support the largest ship. In C#, you have to support the total tonnage of all ships at the location.)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
hi guys, an aether rift just formed in existing system. What am I supposed to do now? I can't see any command to explore it or to deal with.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
hi guys, an aether rift just formed in existing system. What am I supposed to do now? I can't see any command to explore it or to deal with.
You need to find and man Alien Installations to close Aether Rifts.  In the meantime, in Dwarf Fortress terms:  The Circus is coming to town.  Have Fun.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser, UberWaffe, Gabrote42

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
You need to find and man Alien Installations to close Aether Rifts.  In the meantime, in Dwarf Fortress terms:  The Circus is coming to town.  Have Fun.  :)

I have already surveyed the system, there seems to be any ancient construction. Moreover the closest body to it has a mining company.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »
You need to find many ancient constructs around the the galaxy, survey them with xenoarchaeological formations  and colonize those planets with a population of at least a million.

The more ancient constructs you have, the slower the rift will grow. If you have a LOT of them, it will eventually start shrinking and then close. It's a very large undertaking though.

In the meanwhile, have fun and say hello to your spoiler Invaders coming to kill you!

BTW, this thread should be moved to the appropriate subforum :P

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser, SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Marslettuce

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 02:48:24 PM »

- snip -

Note that this will not prevent their deployment clocks from ticking up, so your ships will be perfectly battle ready, but your crews will be too exhausted to fight unless you give the maintenance base a recreational component, bring out a separate recreational station/ship, or set up a colony with enough population to act as a recreational area (It's between 1 and 10 million, but I don't remember specifically).

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »

- snip -

Note that this will not prevent their deployment clocks from ticking up, so your ships will be perfectly battle ready, but your crews will be too exhausted to fight unless you give the maintenance base a recreational component, bring out a separate recreational station/ship, or set up a colony with enough population to act as a recreational area (It's between 1 and 10 million, but I don't remember specifically).

Or add commercial hangars to the station. Deployment clocks do not run while in a hangar.

Offline Thrake

• T
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »
Edit: misleading, thanks for correcting me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:11:39 PM by Thrake »

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
I believe that the clock runs in commercial hangars though.
Maintenance clock does, but deployment clock does not. In fact it winds back, probably the same as with a military hangar.