Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 92764 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2021, 09:48:12 PM »
I do not have "Use Real Ship / Class Names" checked in the Alien Race Intel screen. I have updated the original bug report to reflect this.

It's still not a bug, although it is a confusing behavior.

The "Use Real Ship / Class Names" checkbox applies to the class names given on the intel screen when you discover new contacts. The option only effects the class name assigned to classes when you first encounter them

When you capture an alien ship or otherwise obtain its class design, you also discover the real class name and the intel screen updates the class entry to reflect this. This is a separate behavior not controlled by the checkbox. Again, one can certainly argue that it ought to be controlled by that checkbox, since the class name changing is disorienting to the player, but that is in the realm of a suggestion rather than a bug and I would recommend posting in the suggestion thread if you'd like to.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2021, 09:58:36 PM »
I'm getting an endless popup of "Function #2079: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

If you'll let me know what that function is, I don't mind poking around in the database for clues.

I just gave a fleet repeating orders (x99) to haul infrastructure between two planets. I've done those orders before, but not that high of a multiplier. Perhaps that broke some limit?

EDIT: I got the turn to finish generating by just holding down the Enter key for 30 seconds or so to kill the error popups.
On this turn I had two new contacts, of a new alien class (the aliens were already known).
On this turn I also received a message about overallocation of labs (I'm hauling labs from one planet to another).
Save is attached.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:04:36 PM by skoormit »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2021, 05:12:33 AM »
I'm getting an endless popup of "Function #2079: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

If you'll let me know what that function is, I don't mind poking around in the database for clues.

I just gave a fleet repeating orders (x99) to haul infrastructure between two planets. I've done those orders before, but not that high of a multiplier. Perhaps that broke some limit?

EDIT: I got the turn to finish generating by just holding down the Enter key for 30 seconds or so to kill the error popups.
On this turn I had two new contacts, of a new alien class (the aliens were already known).
On this turn I also received a message about overallocation of labs (I'm hauling labs from one planet to another).
Save is attached.

I got Object reference not set to an instance of an object errors in previous versions several times when I detected new Precursor ships during survey of the systems, but the number was #1943. As you also detected aliens, maybe that was something similar?

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2021, 10:37:30 AM »
While ECM-1 and ECM-2 each require 10 crew, ECM-3 requires only 6 crew for some reason.  This seems like a bug? If anything I'd expect crew requirements to increase for higher ECM levels, but the fact that ECM-1 and ECM-2 (and the ECCM components for that matter) all require the same number of crew makes me think this is unintentional.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14. All ECM should be 6 crew.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:31:48 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

Save is attached.

This error happened again many months later.
Same as last time, I held down the Enter key for about 30 seconds to close all the popups.
This time I also had a new contact of a new alien class (same aliens as before, in same system).
So that seems to be the prime suspect.

Here's something interesting:

I now have four items under "Known Ship Classes" for this race. In order listed, they are:
2x XX
4x XX
9x XX Class #4
1x XX Class #5

Interesting that the first two don't have a class name, and the 3rd one starts with #4.
I got the Function 2079 errors for the first time on the turn I first encountered that class.

At some point after discovering these aliens I changed their Theme to "Names Beginning with J."
I don't know exactly when I did that, but maybe it was after detecting the 2nd ship class.
Which means that the 3rd class ("Class #4") would have been the first one under the new theme.
Maybe that is causing the problem?

New DB attached.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
Minor issue with picking up survivors.  I have a fleet with six ships with one emergency cryogenic transport apiece (as well as some other ships without cryogenic transport).  Each one can hold 200 survivors.  However, after picking up several lifepods the survivors were not distributed evenly between the ships; instead, one got 470 survivors, another got 336, and the rest got none.  And now the two ships that took all the survivors are complaining about insufficient accommodations.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:24:14 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »
Bug: The "Fire at Will FC" button erroneously causes every FC on a ship to fire at Will, when it should only cause the selected FC to fire at Will.

And a quick aside, I really love the "Fire at Will" functions. They make fighting huge battles such a breeze. (By the way, I feel very sorry for whoever Will is!)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:44:01 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2021, 02:59:50 PM »
"Fire at Will" erroneously targets Active Sensor contacts which are outside of missile engagement range, whereas the related function "Auto Target MFC" properly respects missile engagement range when choosing targets.

I would expect "Fire At Will" to only target vessels which are within missile engagement range. I haven't noticed this problem with beam weapons and Fire At Will.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:31:27 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2021, 06:31:26 PM »
This is pretty minor, but reporting it since it's likely one element of the late-game lag I experience on turn generation. Over the course of 157 years of gameplay, this NPR has apparently built over two hundred Diplomatic Ships. They had about 2,000 total ships by that point according to the DB, which means a solid 10% of all the military, commercial, and civilian ships their race had constructed were diplomatic ships.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14. I had a function to limit Diplomatic ships, but there was a bug that prevented it being checked.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:52:42 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, ISN

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »

Save is attached.

The error is in a small function called CheckAlienClassesForName, which is used to check existing alien classes for a name that is about to assigned to a new alien class (to avoid duplicates). It also trims those names to avoid white space issues.

A 'normal' error in this function would have been picked up a long time ago. The only way I could see the error is if the ClassName field somehow didn't exist or was set to null rather than a string value. That would cause the above error when the ClassName field tried to use the Trim function.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
It looks like the exploding carrier bug has survived from V1.11.

Last time it was diagnosed as the game not skipping over unbreakable parts during a maintenance check.  Just did a test on 1.13 and it looks as if that is still happening.  Carrier blew up, with plenty of MSP, no enemies in sight, and lots of maintenance time left on the clock. 
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2021, 04:50:46 PM »
Seems like "create swarm" button in system view when SM is turned on doesn't work. It didn't work in 1.12 either, producing an error message, but in 1.12 I was deleting nprs mid-game to salvage performance and smeg so that might be on me, but in this campaign I've yet to do something with the db, I didn't even purge FCT_GameLog as of yet, let alone try to delete an npr, but the problem persists, the only difference being now there's no error popup whatsoever - but the swarm is not created.

The function number: no error popup at all
Complete error text: no error popup at all
Window affected: I guess... tactical map, since they're not there?...
What were you doing at the time: nothing, just opened the game precisely to test the "create swarm", used sm to add ridiculous amount of every mineral at 1 acc on an empty world to make sure it is rich enough for swarm to spawn, positioned my fleet with active sensors on in orbit to instantly detect swarm ships the moment they appear, clicked on that planet in system view mode and pressed "create swarm"... Even multiple times... Nothing in-game happened.
TN start
Random stars
default aurora decimal separator
is the bug easy to reproduce: should be, just try to create a swarm via SM mode in system view...
campaign length: over 45 years
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:53:12 PM by Stormtrooper »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2021, 10:10:33 PM »
This is probably a well-known bug, but I have yet to see any colony since even the VB6 era that generates the "Ancient Artifact" trade goods. Even colonies with ruins don't generate them.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:19:18 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2021, 10:24:19 PM »
While dropping some troops from orbit on a planet with Rakhas I got an error message popup: "Function #11: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. " The game then created a new race of Civilians with my race picture and a diplomacy rating of 10000.  The Rakha ground forces signature is still there, but now there's also an active sensor signal belonging to the Civilians on the planet.  (S1/R1, same as the actives on the Rakha STOs I'd just destroyed. ) The game is now throwing the same error message every turn.  I can't see anything wrong from poking around in the database, although Civilians don't seem to be a normal race -- they're not listed anywhere, and there are only two populations listed on the planet, mine and the Rakha population.  What does function 11 do?

SJW: Fixed for v1.14. See later post for details
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:23:02 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
Really tiny minor issue, but the tooltip for Ground Forces toolbar button says "Open Ground Forces Tab on the Colonies Window" - which is not really what it does (e.g. it is actually opening it's own window).

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:51:18 AM by Steve Walmsley »