Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.0  (Read 86093 times)

Online smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.0
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
With new spoilers creating multiple engagements at a time in different systems.  It is sometimes hard to remember which fleets are in Openfire.  Causing slowdowns. 

Can an indicator be added to the fleet list to highlight ships or fleets that are in an open fire state?  similar to ships going red and orange showing damage. 
maybe a small yellow light beside the ship's name.

I have recently discovered that there is a "Cease Fire All Ships" button in the miscellaneous tab. That is hugely helpful in those instances.

The following users thanked this post: Ush213

Offline Ush213

• Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2022, 06:21:58 AM »
Quote from: smoelf link=topic=13020. msg162382#msg162382 date=1663318740
Quote from: Ush213 link=topic=13020. msg162381#msg162381 date=1663317339
With new spoilers creating multiple engagements at a time in different systems.   It is sometimes hard to remember which fleets are in Openfire.   Causing slowdowns.   

Can an indicator be added to the fleet list to highlight ships or fleets that are in an open fire state?  similar to ships going red and orange showing damage.   
maybe a small yellow light beside the ship's name. 

I have recently discovered that there is a "Cease Fire All Ships" button in the miscellaneous tab.  That is hugely helpful in those instances.

Thanks for that.  Never knew it existed should solve the issue, My suggestion would still be nice to have.  for the visual aspect.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Azarea

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2022, 09:36:06 AM »
Back in VB6 Aurora there was a simple checkbox to hide the text from civilian ships on the map, but still display the icon.  Made system view alot less cluttered, without hiding civilian traffic.  It would be nice if we could have that function again.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, papent, Prapor, Droll, Vizzy, StarshipCactus, GhostIsGone, Destragon

Offline misora

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • m
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »
A new techline to improve the efficacy of Engineering Spaces on military ships. With larger ships you have to dedicate massive amounts of space to engineering and maintenance storage and having some way to mitigate that with research would be very appreciated. Maybe something like 1.25x boost, then 1.5x boost, then 2x boost, then finally a 2.5x boost to their efficacy.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, StarshipCactus, ranger044

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2022, 12:14:49 AM »
In the vein of Engineering Tech, I'd propose a different solution. We already have dedicated modules for MSP and Damage Control. MS Storage Bays provide no Damage Control or "Engineering", but lots of MSP per ton. Damage Control modules provide no "engineering" or MSP, but lots of Damage Control. So i propose amodule that produces lots of "engineering", but no Dage Control or MSP.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2022, 10:59:58 AM »
Instead of a techline that improves engineering across the board it might be another idea to instead add something like a large engineering bay that is slightly more efficient at providing engineering per ton but maybe not as efficient in terms of cost.

This makes larger ships more viable while not affecting smaller ships by too much.

The following users thanked this post: mike2R, smoelf, StarshipCactus, Snoman314

Offline Ush213

• Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2022, 02:36:22 PM »
can we get a bio tech that extends the lifespan of our pops and in turn the officer's, scientists etc. 
i imagine something like that would happen in the future maybe make it late game or mid-late game tech. 

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2022, 03:32:38 PM »
Can we please get the spacebar to interrupt Automated Turns? :-)

The following users thanked this post: papent, mike2R, smoelf, StarshipCactus, GhostIsGone, Steve Zax

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2022, 06:34:34 PM »
I'm finding I really really like the colour coding of obsolete components. It helps a ton in assessing ship designs at a glance. Its got me thinking about how that system could be expanded :)

I'm really into slow tech games (and really like the new reduced admin capacity option), so research goes slow, and designing new components for a ship can add considerably to its lead time. I often find myself in the position of wondering if a slightly out of date component would be a better option, and then trying to hunt through my obsolete components for that big sensor I think I remember having, or whatever. And that can take a while as the game progresses.

What I'm thinking is the game knows what tech is available when a component is designed, and what tech is currently available. If each tech was given an increasing score based on its tech level, it could be summed and compared to give a value of *how* obsolete a particular component is. The component could then be colour coded based on this, even when not marked as obsolete. So you'd get for example, a slightly darker shade for a search sensor that was designed before the last increase in EM tech, and a much darker shade for an early game, completely out of date, component. Components could also be primarily sorted based on that score, rather than just alphabetically.

This would give a better picture of what capabilities your ships have, and what are components are currently available to design new ones. Right now I immediately mark components as obsolete when I advance in tech, since I won't remember what's outdated otherwise. If this could be seen at a glace, the obsolete function would be more for organisation - when you decide something is so out of date it's pointless to see it listed, you can use it to reduce clutter.

Offline dr125

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2022, 12:00:34 PM »
Given the recent ground war and QOL changes, I was thinking of some suggestions along those lines.

Assign Fire Support button - Assign bombardment units to units on FA/FD. I am thinking something along the lines of auto assign either a) units with bombardment in Support/RE b)all units with bombardment total or c)all units in the Support echelon to units that are in the same unit or directly subordinate.

Ex.
1st Division (RE)
-300th Heavy Howitzer Bn (RE)
1st Mobile Infantry Regimental (SP)
- 1st Mobile Infantry Bn (FD)
- 2nd Mobile Infantry Bn (FD)
- 3rd Battle Mech Bn (FA)
- 1st Mortar Bn (SP)
- 50th Supply Dump (RE)

In the example, the Mortar Bn is assigned to one of the front line Bn's. If the regimental assets have bombardment elements (otherwise it would most likely be in the rear anyway) it would likewise be assigned to the Mobile Infantry or Mech Bn's. The supply dump in the RE is ignored.  Depending on design, the heavy howitzers could be assigned as well, or kept manual as divisional assets are more rare/specialized.

Relatedly, this button could also auto assign ground support fighters or it could be a separate button. Assign all GSF's with a ground support mission to units on FA/FD that have the appropriate FFD elements.

Lastly, independent of the auto assign, GSF's could be assigned by squadron instead of individually. Any extra fighters beyond FFD capacity are ignored.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »
Simple QoL for Terraforming... provide an estimate of time to complete the current terraforming task, i.e if adding oxygen until reaching 0.1 ATM, provide a field next to that saying "Est. completion in X.X years", which would be based on the annual terraform capability at the bottom of the page. Certainly something that can be done manually, but also very easy to automate and handy to see!

Only area it might not work well is when adding water vapor...

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2022, 04:26:00 PM »
I just noticed that wrecks can't be tractored.
Is there a reason for it?

Can we get the ability to tractor wrecks?

Offline KriegsMeister

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2022, 04:55:14 PM »
I just noticed that wrecks can't be tractored.
Is there a reason for it?

Can we get the ability to tractor wrecks?
Pretty sure it's because most wrecks are supposed to be more of a debris field from blowing up rather than a nicely Swiss cheesed albeit 1 or 2 piece ship that sinks in the ocean. You can't really tow all the bits and bobs floating around so you scrap it on site and store it in your cargo hold.

At least that's how I've head canon-ed it, although I could see merit in the ability to collect wrecks in hangar bays

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2022, 10:01:30 PM »
Wrecks were supposed to be tractorable in C# but that change never made it into the game. Hopefully Steve will add it soon so we can start making Salvage Planets!

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2022, 01:18:19 PM »
Being able to set a "Reserve Population" so civilian liners won't depopulate your planets.

The following users thanked this post: GhostIsGone, Skip121