Author Topic: Academy Commandant  (Read 903 times)

Offline Pury (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Academy Commandant
« on: October 13, 2024, 05:03:20 AM »
 So, as of the current version, commanders are promoted based on needs, so there will be no Admirals, vice admirals ETC if there are no positions than need them. I have 5 Academies on the Moon, so I would need a lvl 5 Commander to be able to fill the role of a Commandant. Problem being, I do not have any. And as the game does not treat this position as being "needed" no Officer is being promoted to fill it. I can of course only have lvl 3 Academies, but I would like to also be able to have a way to make bigger ones viable :/

Am I missing something, or is this an unintended consequence of the new promotion system?

Offline Louella

• L
Re: Academy Commandant
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2024, 05:15:22 AM »
you can promote commanders manually

The following users thanked this post: Pury

Offline Pury (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2024, 05:29:24 AM »
Yup I seem to have missed that, thanks!

It still would be nice if we would have it automated in some way. As I presume I will have to manually do it over and over again.

Offline Pury (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2024, 05:37:55 AM »
For example by expanding on the governor window, as it allready has information about Commandant if Academy is present. Then, The needed promotions might happen automatically with autoassignment checked.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter :
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2024, 04:17:38 PM »
So, as of the current version, commanders are promoted based on needs, so there will be no Admirals, vice admirals ETC if there are no positions than need them. I have 5 Academies on the Moon, so I would need a lvl 5 Commander to be able to fill the role of a Commandant. Problem being, I do not have any. And as the game does not treat this position as being "needed" no Officer is being promoted to fill it. I can of course only have lvl 3 Academies, but I would like to also be able to have a way to make bigger ones viable :/

Am I missing something, or is this an unintended consequence of the new promotion system?

You could use GEN Admin Commands as a pool of officers through the minimum requirements and automated assignments window. In addition to fulfilling your specific needs, you’ll find that this method is also effective in preventing missing grades, which can interrupt promotions. I don’t know if you’re aware, but if you require an Admiral, no automated promotions will occur even if a spot is available, unless there is a role for the Commander to advance to the Admiral position.

Your Academy Officer Training could be structured as follows:

Level 1 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 7
Level 2 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 6
Level 3 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 5
Level 4 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 4
Level 5 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 3
Level 6 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 2
Level 7 - Automated Promotion: Minimum Rank 1

I would recommend keeping it a priority of 2 or 3, depending on how many other priority settings you have in your current structure.

Personally, I don’t use this method, as I prefer to set up all my admiralty in advance, and I’ve found it leads to smooth movement through the ranks over time.

Here is one of the latest I have used:

The following users thanked this post: Gyrfalcon, Black, Aloriel, Pury, wutaur

Offline Aloriel

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 05:12:49 PM »
I really like your implementation of P, VP, and cabinet level personnel.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Pury

Offline Louella

• L
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2024, 01:41:40 PM »
It still would be nice if we would have it automated in some way. As I presume I will have to manually do it over and over again.

I think Academies would be a bit awkward to automate, due to how an academy could have a naval officer, an army officer, an administrator, or a scientist as the commandant, and the commandant's bonuses affect the bonuses that new characters receive.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2024, 04:03:32 PM »

I think Academies would be a bit awkward to automate, due to how an academy could have a naval officer, an army officer, an administrator, or a scientist as the commandant, and the commandant's bonuses affect the bonuses that new characters receive.

Doing it the same way as naval admin commands (rank + up to 3 traits, also with a leader type I suppose) would be more than satisfactory I think.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Pury, Kourgath223

Offline wutaur

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • w
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2024, 05:12:30 AM »
Froggiest1982, so in the screenshot you posted the innermost command has RADL rank.

That leaves 3 ranks for ships: LCDR, CDR and CAPT.
The default setup is that CDR is ship commander, and LCDR is for those extra positions.

How do you usually handle that enough Captains are generated? So that there are enough people promoted to higher commands also? (as it seems to need at least 16 RADL).

As i understand (with default setup) there should be plenty enough CAPT position ships to cover that?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2024, 09:58:38 AM »
I've been thinking about the system Froggiest is using to model the system government.  It is an interesting way to do it within the current abilities of Aurora. 

What I'd like to see is the ability to do this within the civilian Administrators portion of the Commanders window.  After all, that's who is supposed to be doing the higher level jobs in the chart Froggiest posted, but Aurora doesn't have that ability.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to create "Commands" within the Administrator's portion, with a new window to handle civilian government, perhaps something like the current Naval Organization window.  Being able to create governmental levels, from President/Emperor down to planetary governor, would be interesting and add a new facet to Aurora, I think.  It would also be easier to see the reporting and responsibility chains, if there were nested governmental administration levels. 

Offline Ghostly

• Leading Rate
  • G
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2024, 12:36:49 PM »
How do you usually handle that enough Captains are generated? So that there are enough people promoted to higher commands also? (as it seems to need at least 16 RADL).

As i understand (with default setup) there should be plenty enough CAPT position ships to cover that?

Any ship class mounting a Main Engineering, CIC or a Flag Bridge will require a CAPT ranked commander. There's also a Senior C.O. box in class design you can check to raise a required commander rank by 1. Ultimately this means once you're fielding a significant amount of sizeable military ships, you will always have enough high-ranked officers. Barring that, you can always manually promote them, this is especially useful for non-combat admin commands such as Mining or Terraforming because such officers are less likely to get promoted naturally through assignment to combat vessels.

What bugs me a bit is that this can only be done with officers, there's no limit to manual promotions, even if promotion score is zero. An administratior or a scientist, though, can never run a larger colony, more labs, or a bigger academy than their stats allow, unless RNG blesses you with a skill increase. I can sort of understand why it is so, getting 10%/25% of your admin commander's bonuses for a portion of your ships is not quite as significant as having a good homeworld governor or a high bonus propulsion scientist who can run 30 labs, but it makes me wish we could send our leaders into academies not only as commandants, but for targeted training of their administration capabilities or other skills.

Offline Aloriel

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2024, 01:17:21 PM »
I've been thinking about the system Froggiest is using to model the system government.  It is an interesting way to do it within the current abilities of Aurora. 

What I'd like to see is the ability to do this within the civilian Administrators portion of the Commanders window.  After all, that's who is supposed to be doing the higher level jobs in the chart Froggiest posted, but Aurora doesn't have that ability.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to create "Commands" within the Administrator's portion, with a new window to handle civilian government, perhaps something like the current Naval Organization window.  Being able to create governmental levels, from President/Emperor down to planetary governor, would be interesting and add a new facet to Aurora, I think.  It would also be easier to see the reporting and responsibility chains, if there were nested governmental administration levels.
The closest I've seen is using Deep Space Populations (DSP) to create various government positions. For example, in my Babylon 5 game, I've set up President, Vice President, various senators, and a Psi Corps head all as DSPs. The best spot to put them is in the sun, so it doesn't get in the way of your view of Earth. They don't orbit.
Sarah

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2024, 04:24:12 PM »

The closest I've seen is using Deep Space Populations (DSP) to create various government positions. For example, in my Babylon 5 game, I've set up President, Vice President, various senators, and a Psi Corps head all as DSPs. The best spot to put them is in the sun, so it doesn't get in the way of your view of Earth. They don't orbit.

I remember you mentioning this in the past.  Like Froggiest's method, its an interesting way to get around the current limitations of Aurora, but at some point I think it'd be an interesting expansion to allow the player to model his government within the game, much like the current naval command structures are modeled. 

Offline Aloriel

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2024, 04:39:31 PM »
I agree completely. I figure Steve probably doesn't want to try to account for all of the crazy governments players will want though.
Sarah