Author Topic: What do our ministers do?  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
What do our ministers do?
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
In case you are not fully aware of what each minister is meant to do here is a quick rundown.  note these could change before the start, as im thinking about dividing the infrastructure ministers control of financial funding into a new Finance Minister who will also control mineral budget,  while the infrastructure minister will be left to oversee the construction of things like new industries and whatnot.   These are not permanent either,  if the senate votes and approves changes after the start new ministries or changes in roles of the current ones can change.

1.   The ministry of infrastructure duties and responsibilities are
i.   Construction and planning of all facilities
ii.   Construction and planning of all ordnance
iii.   Construction and planning of all fighters
iv.   Construction and planning of all ships
v.   The management of financial funds

2.   The ministry of military duties and responsibilities are
i.   The policy of tactics and training
ii.   The arrangement of all designated military ground units and fleets
iii.   The planning and execution of all military operations.
iv.   The request and selection of ship design

3.   The ministry of survey duties and responsibilities are
i.   The policy of survey exploration
ii.   The planning and execution system exploration
iii.   The planning and execution mineral exploration
iv.   The arrangement of survey teams and fleets
v.   The request and selection of ship design

4.   The ministry of commerce duties and responsibilities are
i.   The policy and fund allocation to civilian fleets
ii.   The arrangement of all government controlled civilian hauling and colonization vessels
iii.   The request and selection of ship design

5.   The ministry of technology duties and responsibilities are
i.   The development of new components
ii.   Working with the ministries and president making sure the various components have already been designed and researched prior to ship design.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: What do our ministers do?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:18 AM »
The Commerce Minister should oversee Terraforming as well.
The Research Minister shoud oversee all research and component design. Other minsiter can ask him to develop a given component, but he's calling the shots.
The President should have control over the Budget, as there isn't enough things to do for him otherwise.

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:30:11 AM »
bah I should specify a bit.    I do believe the president should set or at least set the idea for the budget.   I believe a financial minster should be there to remind or aid the president in the setting of the finances and to point out that we might not have much of a resource as the president attempted to allocate.  maybe some way for the financial minister to disagree and offer differences.   as in real life the president doesn't just tell the senate how much we are gonna spend.   theres a bit of a balance.  though I dont think we should have the entire senate mess with the budget or we would never get one passed.    after the president has a budget the financial minister can work with,  its up the financial dude to carry out the work

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:32:40 AM »
I think the Finance ministry just doesn't have enough to do to be a ministry of its own. The President can set up the budget, and if his budget isn't realistic, we will just run into problems later on, which will be fun and stain his reputation before the next elections.

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:51:08 AM »
Alright then I wont change the ministries right now.  Ill leave it as it is, and if anyone wants a Finance minsitry it will be up to them to lobby the senate for it.   I also meant to respond to Research and development.    The Idea is the president has direct control over "budgeting" the labs.   he chooses the technology to research (obviously lobbied by various groups for what should be researched) and the scientist and number of labs.  this would give the president a bit more to do,  as well as giving him a more direct role in some portion of the development of the world.    Though it does make more sense for the Technology minister to have the research, it woudl give the president even less to do.

ill leave them up to the people tho choose then.  ill make a couple polls and we can have our senates first deicions.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:18:17 AM »
Could always have the president set a budget and the senate votes on it or makes a counterproposal, this would be more interactive and a bit closer to reality.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:10:01 AM »
Well, we're a corporate government.

As for the Prez', he'll be setting foreign policy, long-term goal, and preventing others from fighting each other on which design to use. He'll aslo get a fatter payckeck if we allow privat enterprise.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:47 AM »
Even corporate companies, has a board, shareholders and constitution by laws, even a president of a corporate government need to abide by the constitution that is laid down, which is something we are yet to see.

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:43:48 AM »
I believe a budget would be both very unwieldy and serve no real purpose.  Having a set amount of resources devoted to each area just invites conflict between ministries for a larger budget, and it would limit our ability to direct activities as we must always think of how to act within budget rather than what is best for the country.  It would have no real purpose as the President can always just "recommend" a minister to devote more minerals to a certain industry and fire him if he doesn't agree.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
But having a budget means more restriction on what we can do, and more infighting. Friction is what makes those games fun.

Offline vergeraiders

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
At some point we will need a Foregin Minister

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
The President make all foreign policy, unless the job is a speaker for the President? If you looking for a job there has been an offer made to you by the ministry of survey. Please review your messages if you have not.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:15:40 PM by ardem »