Poll

Who should assign reserach and labs

The President
1 (12.5%)
Technology Minister
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 02, 2011, 05:00:55 AM

Author Topic: Senate Resolution 1 Research labs and assignment  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
Senate Resolution 1 Research labs and assignment
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:00:55 AM »
Originally  the idea was the President would "budget" the research labs out to researchers and control the technology.   naturally we have a Technology minister whos job was mostly to keep up on the component side of technology.  setting up the newest engines for research and whatnot.  Sheb has suggested that the Technology minister be given control of the research labs  which of course makes tons of sense,  and would have probly been that way from the start,  except I didnt have much ideas for what the president actually got to do,  so i though he could control ministers and technology.

So our first business as a senate.   who should control our labs.  should we let the president in the form of budgeting control our research labs.  Or do we let our technology minister do so,  as would be an obvious choice.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Senate Resolution 1 Research labs and assignment
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Can I ask who is putting this submission forward (OOC detjen you or your character?), I notice there is a vote started with limited or no debate.

These senate proceeding need to be a rigid process otherwise we will have all sorts of unruly behaviour by the caucus.

I feel the technology minister has a lot of work already to do with coming up with component designs and putting forward the various contracts for individual pieces of hardware, which must be designed before ship design. These component will then be added to the ships design and functionality.

The President should be controlling the budget of where the research is heading, which is directly in forcing policy across our great world. The position of president should be able to push these policies forward, we should not hinder this elected position.

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
The president already has a massive amount of power in his ability to fire and appoint ministers.  If a minister doesn't seem to be following his general orders correctly there is always someone else lining up for the job.  Adding research lab allotment to the Technology Minister would also allow greater coordination as he would know what components he wanted to be able to design and research them rather than going to ask the President.  Also, the Technology Minister doesn't really do much at the present time, and therefore, there are no candidates, but by adding a very important aspect of Aurora to it, we could have more people queuing up for the job.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
I recognize Senator Payne

From my understanding, a President can not legally remove a minister, until the next election. Yes a president has a lot of power in many respects but he relies just as much on the people as the people does on him. Again we are yet to see the full constitution, which I believe the president is drafting.

The Technology Minister get to design all the components, where as a ship designer needs to use those components in my mind the technology minister has a lot power and responsibility. If a minister here become difficult he could slow the whole economy down or favour certain ministries over another, whereas a president get elected and can be unelected.

Senator Winston
Minister for Survey

OOC: Sorry for the typo
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:13:40 AM by ardem »

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »
OOC: isn't your name Winston not Wilson? Might be a typo but just checking.

The power of a President could extend to essentially firing a minister even if he couldn't fire him. As stated by Detjen he has the power to overrule a minister's decision, giving him the power, if he wishes, to essentially dictate what will happen in every ministry. I would also point out that components need to be researched before they are able to be used, so giving the Technology Minister power over research that may be more efficient. Designing new components seems to me like it would be completely dependent on what is being researched, and giving a minister control over both surely must be the way to streamline our government.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »
I agree with my colleague here. If the President is in charge of research, he should also be designing the ship components. There is so much interconnections between research and design, it simply make no sense to split it.

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:29:09 AM »
  Sorry I was just trying to push these through before the start of the game  im working in a different mindset right now and everyones suggestions made "Before the start" are kinda being handled as a ooc setup thing.   I will get into characer and we will have the debates and voting once the game actually starts which is techniatlly today as i type this.     Um mostly I think im just pushing myself to get answers before the game starts so im rushing a bit. 

Of course it dosent help I posted it in an icly manner so im probly sending mixed signals, but dont worry from now on ill be looking at these from an icly story point of view rather than my mindset of I need to have this figured out before we start.  maybe im panicking a bit.  heh anyways look for more proticol and proper procedures from now on

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:13:33 AM »
I recognise Senator Duc Tho

Senator, too much power into one ministry such as technology in my opinion is not a good thing it will lead to the minister of technology directing all ministries. Ship design because all dependant on that ministry I for one am not comfortable, at least if the ministry is broken up by the President controlling funding into the research fields and component design put forward for approval, one person cannot omnipresent, we may see some friction yes, but we will see not such a one dimension aspect to our technology.

OOC: Friction is fun, everything that is create perfect by numbers is not.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:15:30 AM by ardem »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:37:21 AM »
Well, the minister for technology will depend on the Minister of Industry for his labs and the Presidency for his funding. He'll by no mean be all-powerful.