Author Topic: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!  (Read 105300 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Re: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2013, 03:25:38 AM »
Will do.  Regarding fighter squadrons and similar considerations -- military tech is, as I've mentioned in passing, much less important than other areas of research right now for SPACE.  The reason is that there's no need for it other than wanting to have a capability if some kind of civil war or other crisis should arise(incidentally we were close to this a few years ago).  There being no discernible evidence of alien life of any kind, space-oriented weaponry is limited to basic ICBM launchers. 

Events will change this eventually, which could take many forms.  If nothing else, sociologists predict that the citizenry will eventually demand a basic level of protection.  At the moment, economic considerations are still central and drown out any such concerns. 

Offline Cripes Amighty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »
Events will change this eventually, which could take many forms.  If nothing else, sociologists predict that the citizenry will eventually demand a basic level of protection.  At the moment, economic considerations are still central and drown out any such concerns. 

This definitely makes sense, but if the civilian sector is already starting to move colonists there, that required protection is probably coming sooner rather than later. If anything, you may just want to look into possibly constructing a troop transport and moving ground units to the colony.

Offline wobbly

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
@joeclark 77:  How exactly would I go about assigning someone to a civilian ship?  I see no way to achieve that. 

I assume he means commercial, you know like freight duty & that kind of stuff.

Also, I don't think I agree that colonizing Mars and Luna makes sense from an RP perspective.  It's definitely economically viable and I can see the people would want to due it angle, but in what is more or less an economic crisis I think there needs to be some resource available to be exploited.  There needs to be a reason to go there.  The pro-con analysis pretty much ends up being:  should we build some expensive spaceships to go colonize a place so that we can have unemployed workers with nothing to do there and spend some of our duranium on infrastructure for the priviledge?  I think not, it's a 'bridge to nowhere' type of concept. 

Where's that lust to colonize the galaxy? Hell I'd move to the moon given the opportunity. There are other reasons besides straight economics & military to do something. Put fuel refineries on the planets if they need employment, or construction factories & the minerals to start building spaceports or pdcs.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
I don't think the lust to colonize the galaxy is a major force(relatively speaking) when unemployment stays over 12% and the future looks bleaker than that.  It becomes a lot more significant when fortunes are better. 

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
Jay Cin III, Male Naval Officer, is ready to command a freighter or something.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »
Quote from: Cripes Almighty
If anything, you may just want to look into possibly constructing a troop transport and moving ground units to the colony.

I agree with this.  I don't think it makes sense to not have a police presence on Titan for long, and eventually naval military assets will be needed as well at a basic level for the same reason. 

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »

Colonizing Titan

Jan. 3rd – The first colonists arrive at Titan, which has enough infrastructure to support 70,000 now.  50,000 are unloaded from the Voliva colony ship within a couple days, and it’s official – humanity is no longer bound to earth alone!  It’s taken 21 years for SPACE to establish a human colony, and so Titan enters the history books.  

January – Jensrud and Voliva have already dispatched trade freighters to Titan, leaping into action to gain economically from the new colony.  Interestingly, both of these are a bit slower than our freighters.  

Research & Development

Jan. 10th – Exactly one week after the events at Titan, Dr. Ignacio Bravo’s team unveils the  most important scientific pronouncement since TN technology nearly two decades ago, and among the most significant ever.  

Bravo’s team sets to work on gravitational sensors, an instrument suite required to detect if a jump point actually exists at a potential location.  Armed with the information from the previous study, this will actually be a much quicker project and is expected to complete in a year and a
half.  Work on jump engines will need to follow this, but getting a vessel ready to survey the potential jump point locations is clearly the first priority.  

Aug. 12thDr. Cedrick Wormack’s team completes research into Very Large Fuel Storage module.  These hold a million litres each, and are useful only on extremely large vessels.  One lab was reassigned to Everette Snuggs’ work on the other end of the scale, Tiny fuel
storage tanks.  The second is freed up for the next new project, Pebble Bed Reactors.  This is a gateway project that may eventually lead to the a new generation of more powerful engines beyond our current standard, nuclear thermal propulsion. Dr. Rosemary Urenda gets her first project lead for this endeavor.  

Commissioned Officers

Early May – A bit of a shakeup in the army as Brig. Gen. Willis Hindley is forced to retire for medical reasons. Col. Leland Mesecher takes over his command on an interim basis.  

Late JuneKen McKay’s survey skill is up a bit to 17%.  

July – Another bump in Ken McKay’s survey skill(18%).  

Late SeptemberCaptain Louis Meola has died of natural causes.  He was Survey Officer at Fleet HQ for over a decade, and was 47 years old.  At present, there is not an available Captain to replace him. Claudio Offutt is transferred from the presently virtually-useless post at Operations to serve as his successor.  

OctoberWarren Clark is commissioned.
Fleet Movement Initiative: 162
Bonuses: Fighter Ops(25%).
Personality Traits: Dynamic, inflexible and dogmatic.  

Late NovemberIndia Rakes, governor of Comas Sola, hilariously announced a breakthrough in improving industrial production.  You’re on a mining rock, governor ... I think you’re working on the wrong thing.  

Earth

Early March – Gallicite is the fourth mineral to be exhausted on earth.  With almost 25kt in the stockpile, limited usage, and about 170 tons coming in from the comets each year, this is a non-issue.  Sorium will be the next to be depleted, sometime in the next three years.  

June – Prospects on Titan lead to a surge in population growth on earth, as public confidence in the future of humanity grows stronger with each passing shipment. (I.e., Herbert Duling now has a 10% pop. growth bonus).  Meanwhile, the first mine arrives on Titan, and 50,000 of the 70,000 unemployed there now have something to do.  

July – It has become clear that more freighters are needed to keep up with the demand of more colonists being constantly shipped to Titan.  With duranium supplies relatively steady at a solid 6kt, it is deemed a worthwhile use and the FT Southampton, third of the Fletcher II-x class, begins construction at the Tod & MacGregor.  There begins to be some concern now at Fleet HQ about the sustainability of our fuel reserves, but with Machholz and Comas Sola bringing in almost 400t of sorium per year and over 10kt on earth, it’s not an immediate issue.  

Sep. 16th – The Spruance-B colony ship begins construction, which will take nearly two years at the P&A Group Shipyard.  It is rapidly becoming obvious that this is more of a ‘proving we can do it’ thing than something actually needed, as the civilian lines are shipping more to
Titan than we can.  

Sol Survey Efforts

March – The GEV Amerigo Vespucci completes the last survey for now, scanning the comet Ikeya-Zang some 14+b km out because they were ‘in the neighborhood’ at one of the more distant asteroids.  Ikeya-Zang contains three minerals, the most significant is maximum-
accessible corundium in the amount of over 81kt!  This single-handedly more than doubles known deposits, and ensures that as the available sources elsewhere dwindle, there will be a place to go for expansion.  It’s likely to be somewhere around a decade or more until Ikeya-Zang
is close enough for convenient investment, but it is still quite welcome news.  

It will be decades until the other three extremely distant comets is close enough to bother scanning.  The top two ground survey teams are still expected to take some time to finish surveying the distant asteroids.  

Mining

November – A civilian mining complex has been established on Sedna.  I tell you, these corporations are ambitious!  We now have the option to either buy what they produce, or tax the shipping of it.  We choose to buy, as this is the richest duranium find in the system and we’re
going to take as much of it as we can get our hands on.  This will cost us 250k credits per year, and net us an extra 90t duranium.  As we are running an annual surplus of over 13m, this is not at all a problem.  

Summary

Titan now has approximately 270,000 citizens at year’s end, and more mines than they can operate.  With corporate shipping booming there and elsewhere(i.e., Sedna), there is the first glimmer of hope for the unemployed on Earth, now numbering over 102 million.  The growth is slowing, but it’s still rising at 12.46%.  Ground survey efforts continue, with 57 of 64 completed.  

Mining Report

Earth(220S/31A) – 6.48 kt annual yield, 19.4 efficiency
Machholz(0S/27.6A) – 2.17 kt, 63 eff.
Comas Sola(0S/10.2A) – 827 t, 65 eff.
Wolf-Harrington(0S/9.8A) – 689 t, 67 eff.
Venus(0S/6A) – 172 t, 24 eff.
Sedna(1 CMC) – 90t, 9 eff.
Reinmuth(0S/1.8A) – 88 t, 47 eff.
Schaumasse(0S/1.8A) – 72 t, 36 eff.
Titan(5S/0A) – 16 t, 6 eff.

Duranium – 5.7 kt stockpiled, 2.089 kt annual yield
Neutronium – 2.85 kt, 480 t yield
Corundium – 604 t, 460 t yield
Sorium – 10.13 kt, 426 t yield

Earth’s fuel reserves are at 27.5 million litres and still growing a bit.  Long-term sorium is a concern and the refineries consume 790t a year, so it’s definitely in our interest to keep growing the amount of that we produce.  As for the others, we could use twice as much duranium as we
are currently producing, and 70% of what we are getting still comes from the dwindling deposits on earth.  Neutronium is actually pretty decent for what we need, and we are still ‘catching up’ to the corundium reserves with only about six months supply for converting mines left now.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:34:07 PM by Bryan Swartz »

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
I don't think the lust to colonize the galaxy is a major force(relatively speaking) when unemployment stays over 12% and the future looks bleaker than that.  It becomes a lot more significant when fortunes are better. 
On the contrary, I think that the high unemployment is a very good reason to go.  It's the same kind of thing that drove American settlers to go west... there weren't enough opportunities back east, but out west you could claim a piece of land, work on it, and leave a relative fortune to your kids.  The first moon settlers might not be doing anything important to SPACE, but they would be farming, developing the land, and other things important to them personally.  When the alternative is living in a slum on Earth waiting for a welfare check each month, it would be appealing.

Also from a RP perspective: how are you proposing to stop them from emigrating?  Shoot down any civilian vessels that attempt to approach Luna?

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:01 AM »
To my mind, the difference in this situation is there isn't that opportunity there.  A great proportion(much more than on earth) would have nothing to do because there's no manufacturing work, so unemployment would be higher.  I'm definitely willing to consider other ways of doing things and shift some resources to Mars and Luna if need be but right now I just don't see the risk/reward there was with the migration to the American West which was spurred by opportunity and the potential for resources.  There's just risk, and no reward -- in fact things will be worse on the moon than on earth unless a ton of stuff is shipped that earth needs which cripples earth and that doesn't make any sense to me either. 

If anyone else(or you some more) wish to weigh in please do so.  I'm going to ask about this on the other forums as well. 

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
I tend to focus production on earth (currently with 3000+ factories) and ship some other stuff to my other colonies. If i get the right materials i like to invest in exponential growth with more automines to further my production. If you are lucky you find a fitting world with the right materials behind the jump-points.

A slightly different approach would be to build some financial centers on earth to ease the unemployment. Thos then produce enough surplus for you to buy more minerals.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
To my mind, the difference in this situation is there isn't that opportunity there.  A great proportion(much more than on earth) would have nothing to do because there's no manufacturing work, so unemployment would be higher.  I'm definitely willing to consider other ways of doing things and shift some resources to Mars and Luna if need be but right now I just don't see the risk/reward there was with the migration to the American West which was spurred by opportunity and the potential for resources.  There's just risk, and no reward -- in fact things will be worse on the moon than on earth unless a ton of stuff is shipped that earth needs which cripples earth and that doesn't make any sense to me either. 

If anyone else(or you some more) wish to weigh in please do so.  I'm going to ask about this on the other forums as well. 
I hesitate to keep replying, because I don't want you to think I'm muscling in on your game!  This is all up to you, of course.  From my point of view, the reward to the individual -- especially to those who go early -- is that you can claim say 100 acres, build a dome, grow food, raise a family, and leave the land to your kids, with the expectation that in decades to come it'll only increase in value.  This is as opposed to living in a multi-story apartment building and unable to even afford to get married. 

Your comment about "shifting resources" and "crippling earth" again makes it look like you're roleplaying a communist empire.  What I propose is that individuals (civilians) would move their own resources. The civilian lines will generate wealth, build new ships, and generate their own "infrastructure" as well as giving you tax revenue on all this activity.  Assuming you are roleplaying a free civilization, this would be a net gain for the economy and societal wealth, not a drain on The People's resources.  The game as programmed reflects this -- all you need to do is drop a few units of infrastructure on Luna or Mars to get it started, and the civilian shipping lines will take over.

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
Also you could look at it this way. The unemployed deals only with workers not working in the "new" economy which means they are available for the new economy. They may be working in traditional civilian industries that still use things like Iron, Aluminum, and so on. Its kinda like how you look at a nation in the world (on wikipedia or CIA World Factbook) and you see a information for the number of people available for military service. For example, the USA has about 73ish million people available for military service. Is the military remotely that large, hell no (only around 1.5m), are they employed... well, mostly, 85 to 90% are in some way employed. Look at the Aurora unemployment numbers like that. You have X number of people available for service, you only need Y, so you have a lot of people left over. They are only unemployed in the sense that they are not working for you (a government centric way of looking at it but oh well) but other then that most of them are leading full and productive lives.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:20:01 PM by GenJeFT »

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
Interesting stuff to think about.  joeclark, don't worry about muscling in or anything like that.  Yeah it's my game, but really part of the point of this is that it's 'our' game, which is much better than if it was my game as I get to have valuable feedback about it which makes it a lot better in my opinion rather than one person making what often tend to be very predictable decisions. 

I don't view things as communist right now, mostly free but undecided if that's really a good idea.  I can say that this is going to be a major issue in 2049 elections as there's a lot of opinions on both sides(pro here, and anti on the other site).  What that means to me is that right now I think the winner, if it stays this way, is going to be someone who is willing to make a compromise solution. 

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
For the growing settler situation you can do this: Research the logistics line with lowered col-costs. Once you hit 25 mil. You can put the civ-transports on hold. The civ-shippinglines will import anyway infrastructure you produce on earth and the titanians will start to produce some. The lowered col-cost mean that you need less infrasturcture by the million thus lowering the strain.

now for some Rp:

Herman Fox stared bewildered at the bags in front of him. In the age of information the E-mail and now inaproprietly called "Instant" Messages were the modus operandi for most folks. Yet there it sat - mail (heck one could call it Fan-mail) written on ultra light paper.

The private shipping-lines were working wonders! An interplanetary mail-system who would have thought of that! If this grows further, he though, titan could export much more metals, textiles ... wines.
"Maybe i should buy more shares." he muttered to himself as hie fished out the first letter.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »
Cmdr. Ken McKay – 13th out of 17, still working on geology survey
Lt. Cmdr. Jedediah Thone – 42nd out of 53
Lt. Cmdr. Saburo Matsumoto – 16th
Lt. Cmdr. Alex Rossi – 46th
Lt. Cmdr. Warren Clark – 17th

Christopher Blair & Jay Cin III are on the waiting list in the Academy ...

Col. Benjamin Berkeley – 5th out of 22

Herman Fox(4) – Governor of Comas Sola

Karabishi Juishao – Still sitting around and getting paid to do nothing at all ...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:34:45 AM by Bryan Swartz »