Author Topic: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!  (Read 105465 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Re: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
Heph, aka Governor Herman Fox:  you have been pinged.  Check your inbox, a request of considerable importance requires your response. 

Offline GenJeFT

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
By inefficient, I refer only to his administration rating.  Everybody else has at least a 2.  Everybody else.  So that's part of the reason he hasn't gotten a better assignment.  There are 1.8 automines(the least anywhere, hence my comments about it) and a very small amount of duranium(a few hundred tons, which is why it hasn't gotten more investment).  The most interesting thing about it by far is that it is a major long-term source of neutronium(almost 170kt at 0.7), and there is also a lot of corbomite and lesser amounts of gallicite, boronide, and vendarite, none of which we particularly care all that much for at the moment.

Available crew is on the Teams/Academy tab of Population & Production.  It is a total non-issue, at least so far, in my experience.   

Ah, so that explains it. Really bad administration rating. How did you manage to get a administration rating of at least 2 for everyone. Half my governors usually have admin ratings of only 1 (right now in my current game its 1/4th of them). Not that its a problem since no colony requires more then 1 right now other then Earth.

In my current game I also seem to have 224,000 crew available. I can see how that would really be a non-issue. I would have to build around 1,000 ships to use that all up.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
(OOC: Communique received, Response is send.)

Herman Fox(6) – On to the troubled colony of Mars, where his mining prowess will be completely wasted.  Still, his influence has never been higher after a close third in the most recent election. 

Moving around like this was annoying. Worse yet his talents werent of use here in the big Citytents of Mars. The Planet wasnt a beauty, not even a hidden one. In Contrast to the warm cavern cities of Titan, Mars was more condensed with a clot of tents centered around Meridian bay. New London to most, "Tardis Town" to others ... freaking Brits.
His new quarters were well chosen thought. The central Strut of the "Maintent" (long ago the biggest one) served him as vantagepoint - low 10 storied buildings filling the 3Kilometer diameter of the Tent from edge to edge.
Solar power and few buried Thermoelectric Powerplants - essentially giant piles of plutonium equipped with the newest version of the Peltier-Element - created the power needed for the "Districts".  

Farming was done in its own tents made from cloth. Inhaling the thin Marsian atmosphere they bulged under the positive pressure of 1 standard Atmosphere carrying theyr own weight. The hum of giant compressors filled them only to be slighly muffled by birch, Russian firs, American Aspens and Sequoia in the Center producing oxygen for the colonists. Others harbored Chinese Kiwi, wheat, hemp and a full basket of other vegetables. Even a healthy population of Sheep and cattle roamed in a few tents.

An odd thing about Mars was its McDonalds Restaurant, the sole user and by some convoluted Tradelaw Monopolist on all cattle of Mars. Being the biggest opening of the franchise in the entire Solar system it occupied 2 blocks, had its own offsite slaughterghouses, farms and Employeehousing.
Breaking with the traditional Model they also served "Quality" food, still mostly burgers smoothies and fizzle but designed for the higher echelons of the Marsian society.

Production was mostly done subsurface and "mining" created new craters in the martian soil far outside of the tents. Since the Commercial sector owned most of the traditional mining, Hermans decisions and enactments were words in the wind so he delegated those tasks. Keeping the poor happy and the rich pleased was enough of a task on itself. Dealing with unions, delegations, snobby CEOs and petitioners had become Hermans exhausting dayjob. Dozing in his chair he almost overheard the ring of the Red Telephone ...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:22:09 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
No colony in SPACE requires greater than 1 besides Earth either.  As to the admins, one I think that's been one good aspect of what the Academy has churned out(most of them have started higher), and two since most of them have jobs, a few who started at 1 aren't there anymore. 

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
2058 ANNUAL REPORT(truncated)

The first half of the year turned out to be a whole lot of blah, to the point where there really isn’t much to headline.  The February promotion of Col. Anton Engelhardt to being the youngest Brigadier General by a full 15 years was probably the highlight of it all.  He was shortly afterwards dispatched with a garrison battalion to the newest colony on Mercury to lead policing efforts there ...

In May, Earth reached the one billion mark in total human citizens.  

And then June arrived.  Still no sign of the Intrepid, which had been growingly suspected of having a mechanical failure in Epsilon Eridani.  As it had now passed the the end limit of its mission timeframe, the Hyperion was sent for a quick investigative long-range scan of the
system.  

In the early morning of June 11, the Hyperion returned to Sol space.  Shortly afterwards, a brief public statement by SPACE’s press secretary indicated that Director Duling would be taking the unprecedented step of a brief public statement on the Intrepid’s situation later that evening ...

Earth

January 5 – The Apollo is finished with the refit process, and tasked with the first infastructure deliveries to Mercury while the Yellowstone takes it’s place getting the new lighter armor.  

January 21 – Another set of shuttle refits is finished, and another pair begins.

Early March – With small pockets of colonists arriving on Mercury and the infrastructure shipment complete, Derek Latch is sent as the first governor after over a year cooling his heels.

April 7 – Last set of Lexington refits is completed, and work begins on a new pair to once again expand the shuttle fleet.

April 9 – A research lab completed, and added to the efforst on the Nuclear Pulse Engine.

Mid-April – Earth’s mass drivers are back up to the desired 25kt annual capacity, and work begins on a spaceport to expedite shipping operations.  

May 13 – A fourth pair of Perry’s is constructed.  Given a marginal level of inaccessibility in Saturn’s sorium(0.7), each has been found to produce about 100k liters per year, or a little less.  Given this, at least 15-20 are needed so there is a lot of work to do yet before earth’s refineries can be shut down.  

Civilian Operations

Early January – A second fuel harvester is launched by Voliva – looks like they are serious about getting an independent source of fuel.  Interestingly,  their design is about three times as large as ours(60 kt-plus) and also much slower(just 100 km/s).  It’ll take them most of a year to reach Uranus at that speed ...

Commissioned Officers

Early AprilHerman Fox’s continuing improvement efforts have resulted in an increase in Shipbuilding skill(20%).  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:45:18 AM by Bryan Swartz »

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:34 AM »
SPACE HQ
New York

Duling’s statement was brief, and the director did not take any questions after highlighting a few main points:

** The Hyperion’s scan of Epsilon Eridani had revealed the existence of wreckage 2.7b km from the jump point in that system.  The wreckage is believed to be the remains Intrepid, which is presumed lost along with all on board, including Commander Jay Cin III, one of the navy’s best.  
This announcement was briefly delayed in part of out of respect for the next of kin of the 241 who served on mankind’s first ship capable of interstellar travel, the first starship ever, to coin a phrase.

** In keeping with SPACE’s commitments, the highest level of transparency and forthrightness would be maintained on the investigation into this disaster.  At present the circumstances and causes were unknown, and Duling stressed the need to avoid rampant speculation and jumping to conclusion(not that anyone expects the various conspiracy theorists on the extranet to actually comply with this).  

** In order to honor the brave men and women aboard the Intrepid, properly steward SPACE’s resources, prevent future reoccurences, and honor the trust of humanity in their efforts, SPACE will be undertaking an investigative mission which will launch within days.  To maintain the promised level of transparency, a number of high-ranking officials from all branches of the service will be sent to independently verify the results of the mission.  It will involve all three SPACE-operated jump-capable vessels: the JSC Hyperion, JSC Excelsior, and the JS Velociraptor.  The Velociraptor and and Excelsior will transit the jump point back and forth to keep communication lines open between Fleet HQ, themselves as the jump point ships, and the Hyperion which will journey to the wreckage for a close-range scan to verify its identity, search for any possible survivors though that possibility is known to be remote, and to ascertain the cause of this tragedy.  

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
Jay Cin IV reporting for duty, hopefully he leads as interesting a career as III, although a longer one would be nice too.

Can't wait to see what SPACE can find out from the wreckage of the Intrepid.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
Ok so some really important stuff is happening(in Aurora).  Unfortunately I lost some of the writeup I think in getting my new PC going, which also had its issues -- hard drive was a dud so I'm still using the old one while that is rectified.  All of which is to say regular progress will continue but I don't know how soon that will be, probably will end up summarizing Operation Post Mortem sometime this weekend and then getting into the reaction to it after that which is the current game date.  I'm unlikely to progress the game much until the computer issues are sorted, but it won't take that long -- having a brother who does this stuff for a living build the thing helps :).  In the long run the new system is going to be much better for the game, its just annoying me right now. 

Offline Brainsucker

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • B
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
Can you tell me about the Essex 2 Starship where Christopher command? and where it went? I don't know where to start when I want to write about his story.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Ok, I think everything is working now.  We'll see, but aurora is fine, hard drive is fine, etc. 

As to your question Cmdr. Blair, the Essex was the second line designed by the SPACE Navy(after the Lexington transports), and is mostly obsolete now.  It's original mission was gravitational survey, from back in the days when our goal was to find resources off of Earth in Sol, the very beginning of human expansion into space(not that we've expanded all that far yet in galactic terms, mind you, still limited to our own system).  Anyway, they are now glorified transports and therefore they hang out at Earth and play pazaak or euchre or poker or whatever until those rare occasions when somebody is needed to ferry a VIP somewhere.  Of course Blair's been moving around a lot so he's been sitting around on lots of different ships, not just the Essex II's :)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
** OOC Note:  I intended to write a dramatic speech/press conference at the end of this, but after several drafts I couldn't get it the way I wanted.  I'm not that comfortable with writing specific dialogue/speeches, etc. so I just decided to leave it as a summary and put the rest of that to the reader's imagination.**

OPERATION POST MORTEM:  TIMELINE

** July 30, 2058 -- The JSC Hyperion reaches the wreckage and makes a thorough close-range scan.  No signs of life or anything out of the ordinary in the sector of space other than the destroyed ship.  The decision is made to scan a nearby jump point location for possible point of entry into Epsilon Eridani before returning to Sol. 

** August 2 -- Halfway or so to the jump survey location, a massive active gravitational sensor is detected, about 250-300m km away(note:  I'm still getting used to accurately measuring distances and am not that good at it yet).  The Hyperion immediately changes course to rendezvous with the other ships at the Sol jump point.  The other ship moves to intercept, and is much faster, easily closing the gap. 

** August 3, 5:34 AM -- Two flights of 10 missiles each are detected in close proximity to the Hyperion.  Less than ten seconds later, the ship is destroyed by six to seven impacts.  Almost half the crew makes it to lifepods, but these have only a two-week reserve of supplies and nobody can make it that far.  On board are 240 crew, Commander Dan Spengler, and official observers Gov. Herman Fox and Gov. Cruz Luscombe

The Velociraptor and Excelsior are ordered back to Earth immediately.  They couldn't reach the lifepods until twice the two-week time expired, and could do nothing about it if they got there with no cryogenic storage, recovery apparatus, etc. 

Director Herbert Duling secretly pauses several research projects to get the top scientists to SPACE HQ to assist in a group studying the sensor logs and other aspects of these events

** August 11 -- With the Excelsior approaching Earth, time is up and a press conference called at SPACE HQ.  Flanked by Chief of the Navy Ellie Camble, Chief of the Army Sterling Silvers, and several of the top scientists, Herbert Duling explains the fate of the Hyperion, though some details are left out(and the wrecks in Lalande 21185 are still classified discoveries as well). 

Duling summarizes the mission, commends the heroism of the men and women of both ships(Intrepid and Hyperion), and then turns his attention to SPACE's response to these events.  He stresses the strength humanity has shown in unifying after decades of war and successfully pursuing peace in the last 30+ years, he emphasizes that the attacks in Epsilon Eridani were ted were completely unprovoked and conducted by an enemy that was either unwilling or unable to communicate with our ships.  Despite humanity's well-earned distaste for war, war was indeed upon us once again, with our foe an alien race of some kind with technology far beyond our own current capabilities. 

** Facing this new threat would require a single-minded focus.  A shift in priorities was required.  The 2% Initiative and all further interstellar explorations were halted for the time being, with the Ministry of Resource Development confident that enough resources were available in Sol so long as it remained secure to supply humanity's needs for decades to come.  It was no longer possible to view long-term economic prosperity as the only goal -- that must take somewhat of a back seat now. 

** The top priority to pursue is to know our new enemy:  intelligence.  Citing the universally recognized need for this, from both BoG(Board of Governors) and the scientific community, Duling announced that SPACE's approach would be to first increase sensor capabilities in Sol. 

** Development of a sensor buoy, and if needed a carrier vessel to deploy them at all seven Sol jump points. 

** Expansion of deep space tracking stations on Earth and deployment of smaller ones at least on Titan and possibly on other colonies.

** Basic passive sensors would be deployed as soon as possible on all SPACE-operated vessels, military or commercial grade. 

** A shift in research focus to improving our relative technology level in sensors and propulsion(espescially reducing thermal emissions to become less visible to the enemy's passive sensors) as a top priority.  Economic techs were still important, but less so in comparison now to what the military would need. 

** A full weapons review, which was still a couple years away, would be conducted as soon as possible with an eye to defense of Sol first. 

CLASSIFIED BRIEFING

Sensor logs indicate that the Intrepid was destroyed in similar fashion to the Hyperion.  Only one enemy vessel was detected, but it was capable of a top speed of over  6k km/s, four times that of our fastest ships, and the missiles which destroyed the Hyperion were tracked at speeds of at least 20k km/s, possibly closer to 30k. 

It seems likely that they aliens destroyed our ships to keep us from something in that area of Epsilon Eridani, given that both vessels were attacked in the same general area of space.  Perhaps a jump point to a more important system, since they don't seem to have moved and earlier investigation of the inner system brought no indications of an alien prescence in the system, though all this is merely educated guestimation.  We just plain don't know.  What we do know is they appear to be powerful enough that they could wipe us out on a whim if they chose to do so -- at the speed of their vessels, they could have already reached Earth if they'd wanted to and knew where the jump was. 

The internal conclusion of SPACE is that most likely our technological primitiveness is actually an advantadge in this case:  we are as threatening to them as a man might consider an insect to be.  You don't go out of your way to kill an insect where it lives, you just swat it away if it annoys you, then go back to what you were previously doing.  Most likely we are essentially beneath their notice, unworthy of significante effort.  Furthermore, the wrecks in Lalande 21185 indicate it is very possible that we may have stumbled into the middle of an interstellar war between multiple alien species.  In this case they would have bigger problems to deal with, espescially if they were on the losing end of that battle.  The assessment at the moment is that there are almost certainly at least two alien species operating in known space because of that, possibly more(if the ship in Epsilon Eridani doesn't belong to either faction involved). 

In any case, our best chance at survival is in getting better intelligence and developing the ability to wage war in space, regardless what the enemy decides to do or what their undetermined motivations are.  A diplomatic solutions seems highly unlikely given their 'just attack' stance against the Hyperion and presumably the Intrepid as well, but if one is possible it will be best served by not again provoking in Epsilon Eridani an enemy we have no way of hurting at present. 

The sensor buoys at the jump points and tracking stations on Earth that will be built are to some extent political measures -- it won't do any good if our naval combat capability isn't up to the task.  However it is also true that the Navy needs better intel in order to intelligently design ships which have the best chance of defending humanity against the alien threat. 

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
A lone radiosignal echoed through empty space towards the earth jumppoint. Messages and last wills of the hyperion survivors, from officers, crewman and engineers. Among them was also the speech of Herman Fox soon to be ex-govenor ...

"My dear Solarian citizen. Wether you are on mother Earth, Titan, Mars or even in the garnisson of a Comet, i applaud you. You reached for new worlds, first in Sol now in the unknown regions of space. You came a long way, and i am honoured to have walked an important bit of it with all of you. For a long time i worked for you always pushing borders were i could. I have seen many wonders of your ingeniousness, great cities, forrest under domes of ice, even floating bubbles of live in the clouds of Venus, all of those inspired me. Inspired me to give my best, to push my own intellect and to take charge.

Today it looks as we have to part ways. I and the rest of these formidable crews stare into the bleak face of death, yet we see the lights of numberless stars in its eyes. Space is dangerous as we learned today, harsh radiation, vacuum, accidents and yes Aliens too.    

In our search of peace and knowledge we come unprepared for the those less peaceful then us. The fire of nuclear warheads engulfed our proud ships, ripped the sleek duranium hulls into shreds. Yet we endured war in the past and learned from it, not everyone out here may be hostile, i am sure there are those that are enlightened by peace as well.
Wether we meet friends or enemies, i hope Humanity will go in and great them with open hands. We can shake appendages with them or divert attacks but we should always do it with peace in mind.

I trust the capable People of SPACE to come up with the best strategies to prepare our future missions. Mister Duling i especially trust you to even the path for Humanity in the near term. Make the people of Sol part of the greater Intergalactic Community, nurture their spirits after the loss of our souls, give its greatest minds the most challenging problems so they can go on proudly with their heads held high.    

Citizen of Sol there is still a long way ahead for you, keep being Awesome, keep creating Wonders! Theres so much to see for you. Now at the brink of death i can see the goal, glittering in the eyes of death. My people, i proudly give you the Stars and the whole universe."

Gently the camera turns running over the Exchausted faces of the 7 sharing the pod with Fox before its lenses capture the light of countless galaxies beyond the glass of the Lifepods port window.

In the cramped lifepod, far away from earth, Herman finaly found the paradise he always hoped to retire in. It was different, no tropical world, yet knowing to have done his best till the very end even seeing new worlds up close gave him inner peace. His life has been good, far better then he often had admitted, his travels and jobs all suddenly seemed to have prepared him for this. Now he could rest and when he woke up in a new world go on a far greater journey.       
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:30:22 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Rolepgeek

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
Suddenly, Missile technology rises in importance. Slightly.

Oh yes, and right now the way missile racks are made and used is that they line the outer part of the ship, when they're being stored. In case if emergency, small scale explosives blow off the plates covering them, and then larger scale 'soft' explosives(or the missiles themselves) blast them away from the ship, since the containment mechanism is attached to the outer plates.

Of course, if a missile is hit directly, there's an issue. Thus the failure chance.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »
Great speech Mr. Fox, although I'm surprised a bit that you met your end with such peace.  Unfortunately nobody got to hear it, as there is no 'camera' or advanced communications equipment in the lifepods, only automated beacons.  :(

2058 Annual Report(conclusion)

It is one thing to make a fine speech, and another to back it up.  Looking at the research picture, there was one decidedly inconvenient fact:  the next generation of engines is in fact still coming, but not for almost three years.  In other circumstances, that time might have been somewhat shortened by adding a few more labs, and building any new classes of ships delayed long enough to wait a couple of years for it.   The present political environment demanded action, and there was too much else going on to just yank the rug out from under all of the other research projects in order to rush the engine tech.  This meant there was really only one choice:  get moving on designs that would cease to be state-of-the-art before their maiden tour was even completed.  Wasteful, yet unavoidable.  Given the growing size of the navy, SPACE was now on a path where refitting will be a constant process for at least the next decade, and perhaps indefinitely.  Currently nearly six million are employed at the shipyards, more than 20% of those in the planet-based construction sector and more than any other industrial concern -- they will be quite busy, and those numbers will only grow.  

Another result of the growing and more military-oriented navy is the establishment of contracts with a number of firms to provide the necessary components.  SPACE turned to GEI (Gradient Electronics, Inc.) for another first:  a line of active sensors for use in the new buoys which would be stationed at jump points.   A good amount of debate went into how large the buoys should be, how much to invest in each one, but in the end the Sentinel 275 was chosen.  This suite is capable of detecting the smallest of missiles almost 150k km away and more importantly a ship of any size 1.37 km out, the maximum range of the suite.  Of course a design with a higher resolution could increase the range of ship detection without the missile capability, but this should be more than enough distance to find anything entering the jump point and some missile capability was also desired in a small package.  

Secondly, JPS(Johnson Propulsion Systems) is favored for work on manuevering thrusters needed to maintain position relative to the jump point for the buoys.  The JPS NT-15 will thankfully not require much development effort as it is by far the smallest and least powerful engine to be put into space to date.  

HISS(Hyabushi International Sensor Systems) was contracted for a trio of projects, the small declassified active, thermal, and electromagnetic systems for use on commercial ships such as the shuttles and freighters.  

Each of these needed laboratory space and a project lead, and several lesser-known scientists found themselves switched over to a new project or out of work for the time being.  Among them was Joe Tycho, whose work on increasing turret tracking speed was among the deprioritization casualties.  Most of the space, however, came from taking resources away from existing projects.  This slowed down needed economic research in most cases, but there simply was no easy choice.   Most of the new projects would not take long(two to three months) to prototype, with available space shunted into the more involved Sentinel 275 when possible.  

Earth's industrial priorities also changed immediately.  Work on a new academy for the leaders that would be needed for the new responsibilities(mostly ships) and deep space tracking stations began at once, with economic investment dropping from a third to a fifth to allow for this requirement.   Shipyard priorities changed as well, with expansions required to the larger commercial yards to allow for the refits which would make all vessels somewhat larger.  In the case of the Perry fuel harvesters, it was also clear that they simply weren't big enough for the growing needs of the navy.  Much higher-capacity harvesters would be required before long, so the P&A Group began an indefinite expansion immediately upon completing it's third slipway.  

In mid-November, the new commercial sensors were all ready and the yards began retooling for the three primary classes of refits:  Fletcher III-class freighters, Lexington III-class shuttle transports, and Perry II-class fuel harvesters.  The shuttles will begin their refits before the end of the year, while the others will take longer to prepare the shipyards for that to begin.  The Perrys are the lowest priority, as once a deep space scanner is deployed on Titan, their sensors will become merely a redundancy.  In terms of cost, the shuttles are now a third more expensive, with the freighters seeing a much smaller comparative increase(about 6%).  Speed impacts are largely marginal, with the shuttles again seeing the biggest reduction(down to just under 1400 km/s).  

Later in the month, the Sentinel 275 is finished, and the new sensor buoy design finalized and dubbed the Forestal.  

Size:  288 tons
Max. Speed:  347 km/s  
Maintenance Life:  28+ years
Crew:  10

It is just a fraction of shuttle size, a little faster than the Perry harvesters but well short of the freighters.  The first few will be able to make their assignments on their own, but for effective deployment another class will need to be designed to ferry them around.  That will probably wait until the next generation of engines, however.  The fighter factories on Earth are sufficient to produce about three per year, so it will take five years to build enough to man all of the jump points.  Technically, this is SPACE's first 'fighter' class ship, though it is of course anything but a fighter.  

By the end of the year, only one of the basic weapons techs remains to be finished.  Completion of that is expected late next year, with lab space juggled to ensure it will roughly coincide with the finalizing of the theoretical work on the nuclear pulse engine.  Work has begun on a weapons review that will be presented to the Director at that time, and there will be some critical decisions to be made.  Meanwhile, it appears that the aliens in Epsilon Eridani have no intention of entering Sol yet.  Humanity can only hope that we continue to be irrelevant to them at least until the point where we have the capability to confront them ...

Research & Development

** September 8 -- Fighter Production Rate(Dr. Curtis Gloster)
** September 30 -- Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity(Dr. Harlan Welle)
** October 8th -- JPS NT-15(Rosemary Urenda).  The engine is now ready, but the sensors are still two months away.  
** October 10th -- HISS thermal commercial sensors completed(Dr. Delmer Ytuarte)
** November 8th -- Late as usual, Dr. Elwood Tousant's team has finished the report on the HISS commercial gravitational sensor array.  
** November 10th -- HISS Thermal sensor array(Dr. Billie Allington) is the final piece of the puzzle for the commercial refits.  
** November 23 -- Sentinel 275(Dr. Bessie Wallander) is completed.  With this, the new sensor buoy design can be finalized.   The lab space is reassigned, split fairly evenly between the remaining basic weapons techs and accelerating other critical projects.  
** December 1 -- December 1st -- 10cm Railgun(Eva Vadnais)  
** December 1 -- Gauss Cannon Rate of Fire(Karabishi Juishao)

Commissioned Officers

Late September -- Dr. Karabishi Juishao increases expertise to 20% in Missiles & Kinetic Weapons.  

Early October -- Herbert Duling's political reliability increases to 35%.  As has happened every time so far in his career, he has successfully navigated the Epsilon Eridani crisis in the minds of humanity.  

Early November -- Jay Cin IV is commissioned.  
Fleet Movement Initiative:  155
Bonuses:  15% Terraforming, 10% Operations
Personality:  Arrogant, Calm, follows orders without question
Outlook:  He's definitely not what HQ is looking for right now(despite his respect for the chain of command), and debuts at the very bottom of the officers list.  The one positive is he's joining at a good time, with naval opportunities expected to continue to grow.  

Mid-November -- As India Rakes continues to improve her skills in the wake of the year's revelations, Derek Latch(governor of Mercury) demonstrates that SPACE was indeed right to limit his appointments in the wake of failing health.  Not yet 40 years old, Latch is found dead of natural causes.  Salvador Loving is dispatched to replace him.  

The big-picture takeaway here is that Duling and Rakes continue to tighten their grip on the SPACE administrative beauracracy.  It's really hard to imagine anyone challenging them in the near future.  

Earth

October 4th -- A fourth commercial shipyard completed, to be known as ENDM(Estalerios Navais do Montego).  There is no construction currently planned, but it immediately expands with a goal of 20kt capacity, filling a middle ground between the smaller Vickers-Armstrong yard and the two larger yards(P&A Group, Tod & MacGregor)

November 6th -- The first of the now-obsolete Belknap-class command ships is finished. It will now be not only the first, but the only.  Fleet HQ didn't even bother assigning a CO this close to new tour assignments in a couple of months.  

December 15 -- The Custer refit is completed, and retooling begins for the Fletcher III, the freighter class redesign with sensors included.  It is estimated that the Tod & MacGregor will be ready for the first refit late next summer.  

December 19 -- The first pair of Lexingtons begin the process of getting refitted with their new sensors.  Each is expected to take a little under three months.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:50:16 AM by Bryan Swartz »

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2013, 04:08:02 AM »
Brigadier Generals Dolph Stallone and Angela Bankson hit mandatory retirement.  That leaves the Army with just five generals left, and it is expected that a colonel or two will be promoted soon to make up the slack.  Both had served since SPACE's inception 34 years ago, and there are a rapidly dwindling few who can say that.  The army also loses two of its top three colonels for the same reason, so it's definitely a changing of the guard. 

Cmdr. Christopher Blair -- 11th out of 15.  Expected to remain in charge of one of the Perry harvesters out at Saturn, where he's been for just over a year. 
Lt. Cmdr. Conor Zavier -- 11th out of 47.  He's still among the better shuttle commanders, awaiting a chance at something more noteworthy. 
Lt. Cmdr. Jay Cin IV -- 47th.  Barring a major improvement, his fate is sealed without significant naval expansion.  That's coming, the only question is whether it comes fast enough. 

Jedidiah Thone(1) -- Back on Reinmuth after an important if minor role in the Epsilon Eridani crisis. 

Karabishi Juishaou(MK 20) -- With Dr. Suda now taking over the field lead and no missile tech in the queue until the formal weapons analysis planned for late next year, Dr. Juishaou is a credible scientist but one with a very uncertain future.