Author Topic: 3.1 Bugs  (Read 14363 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
The second type of error related to the star type.  IIRC, Aurora couldn't find information for a certain kind of star.  I noticed that when this error appeared, there would be a blank line in the star portion of the system display, as if there was supposed to be a star, but no characteristics were generated.  As I said before, I can probably recreate this one if you need the exact error message.  

I have just generated a hundred systems without getting the star-related error message. Its extremely rare for me but it seems to be more common for others and I don't know why. How often do you get it and is there anything unusual about the systems in which it occurs?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
"Error 3201 was generated by DAO.Recordset
You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'StellarType'."

Due to repeated apprearances, I have narrowed this down to the 'DA5-' type white dwarf stars.  'DA6-' is okay, but I can't speak to any other 'DA' white dwarves.

Finally found it !!! Yeah!

It was related to white dwarfs. There is a 20% chance during system generation that a companion star is of the same size and spectral type as the primary, but with an equal or lower spectral number. So if the primary is a G5-V, there is a 20% chance the second star will be from G5-V to G9-V. In the code, there is a small routine that looks for a suitable star based on the letter code, size and spectral number. So in the case above, it would be given "G", size V and a random number between 5 and 9.

This works fine for every star type except white dwarfs because the spectral letter doesn't change. However, for white dwarfs there are sub-types of DA, DO, DB, etc. but a single range of 0-9 spectral numbers covers all of them. So you get DA5-VII and DA6-VII but then DQ7-VII, DC8-VII and DC9-VII. So when the primary was for example a DA5-VII, this routine was given DA, VII and a random number from 5-9. If the random number was 5 or 6 then it worked fine but for 7-9 it couldn't find a matching star type so it returned -1. I had included a error catcher for -1 on the primary but not for this particular sub-routine so that very occasional -1 was getting through and causing the problem.

I have solved the problem by removing the sub-types so all white dwarfs are simply D instead of DA, DQ, etc. There were two other situations that may also have caused the problem. The L type stars only went up to spectral number 8 and the T type stars only reached spectral number 6. I have added four new star types to take both up to 9.

The error was rare because white dwarfs account for only 5% of star types and even when they were the primary, the matching star routine happened in only 20% of those cases. Even then, it had to be one of the non-matching spectral letter types so the overall chance was below 1%. I had to generate 160 systems to get the error to occur. The L and T types between them account for 6% of stars but the error was less likely to occur for them because it was only 10% and 30% of spectral numbers respectively that were affected (in the 1.2% of cases where an error was even possible).

The only drawback to this is that it is a database fix so the error won't be corrected until v3.2. If you upgrade to an eventual v3.2, you will also lose saved games. I will be putting out a v3.11 soon that won't affect saved games  but this fix won't be in it. However, if anyone wants to try and correct their own database and they know the password, they should open the StellarType table and change all ten of the DA, DQ, etc. codes in the SpectralClass field to just D.

If you are feeling more adventurous, you could also copy the L8-VII row and change the new row to an L9-VII row by changing the SpectralNumber field from 8 to 9. Similarly, you can copy the T6-VII row three times and change the new rows to T7-VII through T9-VII.

Copying a row is done via highlighting the row and using Edit -> Copy and then Edit - Paste Append. This will add the row to the bottom of the table. Don't worry about changing any other fields to make these new stars any different as they won't get picked up by the standard star selection routine anyway. Its just to avoid the error.

If you try this - back up first!! :)

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
On the F2 (Population & Production) screen, 'Manage Shipyards' tab, in the 'Shipyard Complex Activity' section, when I select any task from the dropdown list (ie Add Extra Slipway, Add 1000 tons capacity, Retool for Selected Class, etc) Aurora throws the following error:  "Run-time error '381':  invalid property array index" and crashes to desktop.

Note, I am able to set an initial class for the shipyard (using 'Retool for Selected Class') without difficulty, and change the capacity and/or number of slipways with the 'SM SY mods' button.  Only the dropdown box throws the fatal error.

I am playing my own campaign at the moment and can't reproduce this at all. This is a significant bug so it should also be affecting everyone else using v3.1. There must be some other factor at work. Is this affecting every shipyard or just certain shipyards?

Steve

It's happening for all four shipyards (spread across two races) of that game.

I started a new game, from a fresh copy of Stevefire.mdb, and this time I hit a different error.  Attempting to Retool or add capacity (other than the initial retool to assign a class to a SY) threw an 'Error 6: Overflow' though it did at least accept the task, and seems to be progressing it normally.  Aurora is throwing an Error 6: Overflow for each shipyard with an assigned task (currently three) each 5 day increment, as well as each time I open the F2 (Population & Production) screen.

The only similarity I can find is that the errors all occurred with methane-breathing races.  I created a human empire in my test game above and had no difficulties with shipyards.  Apparently, the problem's in the ventilation.  #:-]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
The only similarity I can find is that the errors all occurred with methane-breathing races.  I created a human empire in my test game above and had no difficulties with shipyards.  Apparently, the problem's in the ventilation.  #:-]

I think its the automatically generated classes that are the problem. Check the build cost for the shipyard activity. If it is zero, that is what is causing the problem because it creates divide by zero errors. Select each of the automatically generated classes in the F5 window to update their design and then try retooling again. Please let me know what happens.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »
I think you're in the right area.  I had already tinkered with the automated designs to improve their engine tech, but deleting the original designs fixed the problem.  Odd that the shipyard building my Terraformers suffered the problem as well.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 04:19:21 AM »
It appears that the 'less industry than usual' option is not applying its % reduction to Maintenance Facilities.  I'm not certain, because I'm not certain how many there should be in the first place, but an NPR one-quarter my population had roughly one-quarter my number of Maintenance Facilities after selecting 13% (one-eighth) of the usual industry.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
Steve -  

This is on a 3.11 install.  I was playing around with a concept (independent of my 6 powers campaign) that involved a race in a distant binary companion that had to migrate to the primary to escape a disaster on their planet.  The lagrange jump points made this concept much more viable  :D .

At any rate, as the game went on they built a civilian space center, and then, eventually, I received a notice that they had built two civilian grav survey vessels at this center.  This caused a number of problems.

1.  Because they are at a distant companion, there are no survey locations within range.  Therefore, I now receive notices that they are unable to carry out their orders because there are no locations in range.  This will apparently go on until the heat death of the universe, as I have no way to move or command those ships.  

2.  When I began looking into the above, I noticed that they are displayed as unknown ships on the system display.  As they are civilian, and presumably the government can get every detail needed at will, I think they should start as being completely identified.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
Another minor glitch, and I have no idea what caused it.  This is on a 3.11 install, in the 6 Powers Campaign.  

The Japanese launched (finally) a survey ship and sent it out to begin surveying the solar system and forgot about it (there is alot going on when you run six races).  

Sometime later, after advancing the time, I got two error popups, relating to sensor or identification.  Unfortunately, I didn't write them down and I really wish I had.  When I checked the Event Update screen, I noticed the following message:

"Imperial Japan: Alien Class Scanned: N/A: Ion Engine Technology scanned on Civ Trans (Alliance)"

The N/A is in the System column.  The 'Civ Trans' is the name I gave on the intel screen to the Alliance FT when the Japanese first detected it.  

The above message was followed by additional messages noting the number of research points gained from the scan by Survey Ship 001, a second scanning event related to the same Alliance ship, and two more scanning events where RP's were gained, but I couldn't tell what ship the Japanese ship was scanning because instead of a ship ID all there was was the following: ()

Later on in the Event Update list there was another two messages noting that the RP's were downloaded to Earth from Survey Ship 001.  

When I opened the system map, I noticed that the Japanese Survey ship (Survey Ship 001) was crossing the inner system, and was quite close to an Alliance freighter squadron headed for Mars, so it was entirely possible that they could have scanned the Alliance ships.  Unfortunately, I knew for a fact that they didn't have their active scanners on, as I have been very careful in this area.  In fact, when I checked Survey Ship 001, I realized that they don't have active sensors at all.  Just a fairly large thermal sensor.  

I don't understand this at all.  There is no way that this ship could have scanned anything.  If I notice this again I'll write down the error messages I get.  

Kurt

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:42 AM »
The mouse-over text for 'Realistic Commander Promotions' on the Game Info screen claims that the SM can still promote & demote officers with realistic promotions turned on.  I can't find any way for the SM to actually do this (either in SM Mode or not), so either the text is a bug or the SM ability to promote & demote is bugged.

Which leads me to my lobbying/suggestion:  While I love the Realistic Promotions option, I tend to use it more as a "my staff handles the details" crutch than as a strict rule I must work within.  If the text is wrong (and the SpaceMaster is not supposed to be able to promote/demote officers), please return that ability to the SM.  Sometimes the almighty Author needs to reach into his universe and change a few things.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 03:21:50 PM »
Another minor glitch, and I have no idea what caused it.  This is on a 3.11 install, in the 6 Powers Campaign.  

The Japanese launched (finally) a survey ship and sent it out to begin surveying the solar system and forgot about it (there is alot going on when you run six races).  

Sometime later, after advancing the time, I got two error popups, relating to sensor or identification.  Unfortunately, I didn't write them down and I really wish I had.  When I checked the Event Update screen, I noticed the following message:

"Imperial Japan: Alien Class Scanned: N/A: Ion Engine Technology scanned on Civ Trans (Alliance)"

The N/A is in the System column.  The 'Civ Trans' is the name I gave on the intel screen to the Alliance FT when the Japanese first detected it.  

The above message was followed by additional messages noting the number of research points gained from the scan by Survey Ship 001, a second scanning event related to the same Alliance ship, and two more scanning events where RP's were gained, but I couldn't tell what ship the Japanese ship was scanning because instead of a ship ID all there was was the following: ()

Later on in the Event Update list there was another two messages noting that the RP's were downloaded to Earth from Survey Ship 001.  

When I opened the system map, I noticed that the Japanese Survey ship (Survey Ship 001) was crossing the inner system, and was quite close to an Alliance freighter squadron headed for Mars, so it was entirely possible that they could have scanned the Alliance ships.  Unfortunately, I knew for a fact that they didn't have their active scanners on, as I have been very careful in this area.  In fact, when I checked Survey Ship 001, I realized that they don't have active sensors at all.  Just a fairly large thermal sensor.  

I don't understand this at all.  There is no way that this ship could have scanned anything.  If I notice this again I'll write down the error messages I get.  

You can get some tech data from passive scans as well. Thermal sensors can get information about engines. EM sensors can learn about operating shields and operating active sensors. In addition to longer term scans, you can get instant information from active scans during combat based on weapons fire, EW and weapon hits.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
Steve -  

This is on a 3.11 install.  I was playing around with a concept (independent of my 6 powers campaign) that involved a race in a distant binary companion that had to migrate to the primary to escape a disaster on their planet.  The lagrange jump points made this concept much more viable  :)

I was planning to add a way to "nationalise" civilian shipping. I guess that just became more urgent. In the meantime, you can gain control by going into the Fleet table and setting the NPRFleetType field to zero. The ship and fleet are already part of your Empire, they are just inaccessible. You probably should also set the TaskForceID for the fleet as well to the same as one of your other fleets.

2.  When I began looking into the above, I noticed that they are displayed as unknown ships on the system display.  As they are civilian, and presumably the government can get every detail needed at will, I think they should start as being completely identified.

I think that's a good idea.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Major bug-Entires ships's squadroon vanguished
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
ABSORB command on task orders lead to a heavy bug:
ive lost Support vessel,Tankers,fighters,Survey,scout cruisers,Geo and grav survey,2 times.

JOIN r good..but ABSORB ive lost 4 Squadroon,the "absorber" and "the second squadroon"..
...a heavy losses into void space...:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Civilian ships and Officer assignments
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 09:11:42 AM »
Steve, it looks like the civilian ships are showing up on the officer assignment list.  Is that intentional? I noticed when I was checking assignments and there were five extra colony ships out there (the civilian center appears to have built 5 of my current model).  

There was also an extra geo survey ship (which the civilians have also built).  That ship brings up an interesting situation.  My geo survey ships do not have jump drives (using a tender for them right now).  Since the civilians appear to have copied my model (I think) the ship is stuck in the home system with nothing to do (entirely surveyed).  Until I get some jump gates built this guy is going to sit there generating messages about having no valid survey targets.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurence »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
Damage Control Que does not appear to be working.  Had several ships with multiple damaged systems.  After assigning the first system for damage control to work on was repaired, the next in the que was not assigned to damage control to start working on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
Steve -

I got the following error when I gave my transport fleet orders to pick up five prefabbed PDC components, transport them to another planet, and drop them off:

Error in PickUpFactory
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.fields
Item not found in this collection

The orders appeared to work anyway, in that the components disappeared from earth and appeared to show up on the other planet, however, there seems to be a problem.  A line for the components shows up on the economic screen on the far right/bottom, but it shows that there are 0 components present.  

Two more items of weirdness.  I sent my freighters to ship them back to Earth to recreate the error (so that I could send this message), and the freighters picked them up fine, but generated the same error message.  However, I noted that the freighters took zero time to pick them up.  It should have taken them quite a while to pick them up, but they set out for Earth immediately.  Also, when they unloaded the components on Earth, they disappeared completely, not even creating an entry on the economic screen.  

Very strange.

Kurt