Author Topic: 2.0 Bugs  (Read 15086 times)

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Re: Aurora 2.0 Bugs - officers
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Quote from: "jmelzer"
(2) Is loading a commander supposed to work on the fleet orders (F12) window? I click on the capital planet (where all my officers are), then click "load officer", but no officers appear in the "select commander" window.

On the commander screen (F4), you need to click the checkbox up around the name info at the top. Then you can pick them up and move them around

Oops, NVM.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jmelzer »

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
2 more bugs
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »
Ran into 2 more bugs,

Game info:
the following settings set to "yes":
- AI controlled precursors
- Aurora Themes
- Window positions
- Orbital motion (plantes/moons only)
- Realistic comm. promotions
- commander political bonuses.

created/deleted some systems repeatedly to

Bug#1 - the movemonsters -> error 6 one
i.e.
[Error in Movemonsters]
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report to stevealmsley@btinternet.com

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: 2 more bugs
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »
Ran into 2 more bugs,

Game info:
the following settings set to "yes":
- AI controlled precursors
- Aurora Themes
- Window positions
- Orbital motion (plantes/moons only)
- Realistic comm. promotions
- commander political bonuses.

created/deleted some systems repeatedly to

i.e.
[Error in Movemonsters]
Overflow

Precursors has some issues with the 2.0 release. You might want to turn them off. Not sure if Steve's fixed that in 2.1 or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
fatal error
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
Error:
On february 2 of a new campaign, the campaign died with the following 2 errors:

Error in CheckSpecialOrders

Error 3343 was generated by DAO.Database
Unrecognzied database format d:\games\aurora\Stevefire.mdb

then, when I hit OK,

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set

(the error 91 repeates forever, can't get into the game).

on restart, same 2 errors, but instead of being described as "error in CheckSpecialOrders"
the title is "Error in Form Load"

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Minor Error - Very low (i.e. very good) non-zero suitability
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »
My race has a min temp of -25.4
I found a planet with temp -25.61
which works out to a temp cost factor of 0.01

the planet shows up as dark blue on the F-9 screen, and I can send/emplace population there without sending any infrastructure.
(I saw a dark blue planet, with "0.0" habitability cost, and didn't notice that this was rounded off)

BUT,
once I've emplaced population, the f-2 summary screen gives
"Error in IstPopulations_Click
Error 11 was generated by Aurora
Division by 0"
- no other effect. mines work on the planet, workers show as available, etc.

terraforming raising the temp (cheating using SM) will remove the error msg.

This seems to be a rounding error, that colonization costs below some number get treated as 0 in some areas but not others.

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Another fatal error
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »
INITIAL ERROR REPORT:
-----------------------------
on 8th of march 3000 (campaign year 0) - (3:20 AM), tried to advance time, and got:

Error in OrbitalMovement

Error 3159 was generated by DAO.Recordset
Not a valid bookmark.
Please report to stevewalmsley@btinternet.com

then

Error 3020 was generated by DAO.Field
Update or CAnelUpdate without AddNew or Edit.

(cycles through 3159, 2*3020 a few times)

Then a bunch of Error 3420 (Object invalid or no longer set) - gets stuck looping there AFAICT

--------------------
TROUBLESHOOTING #1:

killed (through windows task manager) aurora, and successfully reloaded.

The db seems to load o.k. but same errors when I try to advance time.

--------------------
TROUBLESHOOTING #2:

killed (through windows task manager) aurora, and successfully reloaded.

I also get a similar set of looping errors when:
(a) change to the "SM" race (which knows about a few systems the player race doesn't)
(b) try to open system view (f9) or galactic map (F11)

I suspect the problem is in one of the systems the SM race knows about.

--------------------
TROUBLESHOOTING #3:

I then (killed in windows, and reloaded again), and changed race to the player race, and went to one of my systems & tried to link that systems using SM mode, to system 111 (one of the 2 systems the SM race only knows about), I got, again, a similar series of looping errors.

Now when I try to reload, and go to F-11, same 3159 errors occur

I have this stevefire.mdb for this (from before Troubleshooting#1,2,3), (as well as another copy of showing the 3343 error reported previously) saved as backup copies, in case you need them.

It has been a hard weekend in the galaxy :-)

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Bug on system naming
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »
On system generation, got the following error:

Error in GetSystemThemeName
Error 3075 was generated by DAO.Database
Synatx error (missing operator) in query expresion 'Name = 'L'Obel' and RaceID = 537'

Race creating the system was "SM Race", with default theme (i.e. "ancient egypt") ... but I'd created a large number of systems already so it may have been "out" of the theme and picking from somewhere else.

Maybe the appostrophe in the system name isn't handled right when the name is part of a theme?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Aurora 2.0 Bugs - officers
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
(1) On race creation, changing the homeworld name can only be done after initial race reation. (a default name from the theme is assigned to the home system). This is done after officer creation. So the name of the accademy graduated from, on the F4 screen will not match the system name, but will be an accademy that doesn't exist.
(e.g. I named my home system "Manticore", but the default name assigned on initial race creation was "auldhouse". So the Education box in that window shows "Auldhouse A-V Accademy"
I have added an extra step to manual race creation so you can choose your homeworld name before officers are created.

(2) Is loading a commander supposed to work on the fleet orders (F12) window? I click on the capital planet (where all my officers are), then click "load officer", but no officers appear in the "select commander" window.

You need to click the Available for Pickup box on the commander window. This is to prevent possibly hundreds of commanders appearing when you select load officer.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: 2 more bugs
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 08:57:27 AM »
i.e.
[Error in Movemonsters]
Overflow

There are some problems with precursors (still) in v2.0 so its best to play without them until I can figure out the cause. Those problems are almost certainly causing the above errors.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: fatal error
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »
Error:

then, when I hit OK,

Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set

(the error 91 repeates forever, can't get into the game).

on restart, same 2 errors, but instead of being described as "error in CheckSpecialOrders"
the title is "Error in Form Load"

Unfortunately I have no clue what is happening here. The endless error 91s occur when the program can't find some key piece of data that it is relying on and they will be caused by the previous error. However, I have not had Unrecognzied Database error reported before so it must be something specific to your system for some reason. The strange thing is that if it can't recognise the database, how did it get to February before crashing?

I need to try and pin down what is different about your game or install to figure out the cause of the problem. Do you have access installed on your PC and, if so, what version?

Has anyone else reading this thread had anything similar happen (with any version of Aurora) so I can try and find something in common.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Another fatal error
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »
INITIAL ERROR REPORT:
on 8th of march 3000 (campaign year 0) - (3:20 AM), tried to advance time, and got:

Error in OrbitalMovement

Not a valid bookmark.

This is obviously something weird going on here as you are getting a lot of errors that no one else is reporting. Just to clarify, did you install version 0.1 then update to 1.2 and then update to 2.0. Did you say yes to the overwrite files of the same name questions? I am just thinking its possible you have an database from an earlier version for some reason.

If all the above is OK, I suggest you re-download and reinstall from scratch. Don't use precursors and see if you have the same problems. I don't think there is much point in me trying to figure out the problem yet as I am fairly certain there is something different about your install from everyone else's. Because of the seriousness of the problems you are having, I would be getting the same reports from the other users if they had the same errors.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Bug on system naming
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 09:09:30 AM »
Maybe the appostrophe in the system name isn't handled right when the name is part of a theme?

I think that is the problem. I thought I had managed to find all the apostrophes :)

Steve

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »
Error:

The error 3343 likely means your database file is corrupt. Try replacing it with a fresh, clean one and see if the error goes away.

What probably happened is that during your problems with the precursors, you killed the application (ctrl-alt-del -> end process) while it was trying to write data to a table. This corrupted the database and is generating the current errors.

Other option is that you didn't perform an actual install of aurora and just extracted the files. But if you did this I seriously doubt you would have gotten past the first 5 seconds of the game - never mind a month...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
INITIAL ERROR REPORT:

Error in OrbitalMovement

Not a valid bookmark.

This is obviously something weird going on here as you are getting a lot of errors that no one else is reporting. Just to clarify, did you install version 0.1 then update to 1.2 and then update to 2.0. Did you say yes to the overwrite files of the same name questions? I am just thinking its possible you have an database from an earlier version for some reason.

If all the above is OK, I suggest you re-download and reinstall from scratch. Don't use precursors and see if you have the same problems. I don't think there is much point in me trying to figure out the problem yet as I am fairly certain there is something different about your install from everyone else's. Because of the seriousness of the problems you are having, I would be getting the same reports from the other users if they had the same errors.

Steve

Way back - 'round Christmas time - I saw this same error.  Back then I had Orbital Movement for Asteroids' turned on.  I haven't seen the error again since I turned it off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:17:31 PM by Father Tim »

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
INITIAL ERROR REPORT:

Error in OrbitalMovement

Not a valid bookmark.

Steve

All the problems I've reported go away when I extract a new version of Stevefire.mdb from the Aurora 2.00 zip file.
(the only ones that don't are
- the academy name issue, (which you've fixed) and
- the 0.01 colony cost error,
both of which are "real" problems reproducible in any game, rather than corruption issues.

Agree that the fatal problems are both DB corruption issues, since I can re-produce them on a fresh install by just copying over starfire.mdb with the .mdb file from when I got the error.

If you want me to just ignore it, and see if it happens again, thats 100% fine. Or if you want the .mdb files that I saved from the error conditions, I can send them to you (though, I'm not sure how ... they're kinda big :-)

FWIW My system is a bit long in the tooth ...

XP Home edition
PIV 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM.

Re. your questins in the other note:
I don't have access installed (I do have a 3rd party tool for viewing .mdb files ... but haven't used it on stevefire.mdb, since I don't have the access DB password. ... i.e. _I_ didn't corrupt it manually.)

I have had Aurora hang -> kill through task manager at least once (during system generation) though not sure if it happened before the above problems.

I'm running a new game right now /w no precursors. Thus far, haven't hit any database (or other) issues, but I haven't explored that far from home either.

HTH,

Jacob Melzer