Author Topic: 2.0 Bugs  (Read 15171 times)

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Re: Another fatal error
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "jmelzer"
INITIAL ERROR REPORT:
-----------------------------
on 8th of march 3000 (campaign year 0) - (3:20 AM), tried to advance time, and got:

Error in OrbitalMovement

Error 3159 was generated by DAO.Recordset
Not a valid bookmark.
Please report to stevewalmsley@btinternet.com

This is obviously something weird going on here as you are getting a lot of errors that no one else is reporting. Just to clarify, did you install version 0.1 then update to 1.2 and then update to 2.0. Did you say yes to the overwrite files of the same name questions? I am just thinking its possible you have an database from an earlier version for some reason.

If all the above is OK, I suggest you re-download and reinstall from scratch. Don't use precursors and see if you have the same problems. I don't think there is much point in me trying to figure out the problem yet as I am fairly certain there is something different about your install from everyone else's. Because of the seriousness of the problems you are having, I would be getting the same reports from the other users if they had the same errors.

Steve

Way back when I saw this same error.  Back then I had Orbital Movement for Asteroids' turned on.  I haven't seen the error again since I turned it off.

I've had asteroids off.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jmelzer »

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
Re: fatal error
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 09:22:20 PM »
I had a similar problem when I played music from a different drive and then shut the program down. When I reloaded it couldn't find the database.

Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Error:
On february 2 of a new campaign, the campaign died with the following 2 errors:

Error in CheckSpecialOrders

Error 3343 was generated by DAO.Database
Unrecognzied database format d:\games\aurora\Stevefire.mdb

then, when I hit OK,

Error in CheckSpecialOrders
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set

(the error 91 repeates forever, can't get into the game).

on restart, same 2 errors, but instead of being described as "error in CheckSpecialOrders"
the title is "Error in Form Load"
Unfortunately I have no clue what is happening here. The endless error 91s occur when the program can't find some key piece of data that it is relying on and they will be caused by the previous error. However, I have not had Unrecognzied Database error reported before so it must be something specific to your system for some reason. The strange thing is that if it can't recognise the database, how did it get to February before crashing?

I need to try and pin down what is different about your game or install to figure out the cause of the problem. Do you have access installed on your PC and, if so, what version?

Has anyone else reading this thread had anything similar happen (with any version of Aurora) so I can try and find something in common.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Haegan2005 »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Minor Error - Very low (i.e. very good) non-zero suitabi
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 08:29:05 AM »
My race has a min temp of -25.4
I found a planet with temp -25.61
which works out to a temp cost factor of 0.01

the planet shows up as dark blue on the F-9 screen, and I can send/emplace population there without sending any infrastructure.
(I saw a dark blue planet, with "0.0" habitability cost, and didn't notice that this was rounded off)

BUT,
once I've emplaced population, the f-2 summary screen gives
"Error in IstPopulations_Click
Error 11 was generated by Aurora
Division by 0"
- no other effect. mines work on the planet, workers show as available, etc.

terraforming raising the temp (cheating using SM) will remove the error msg.

This seems to be a rounding error, that colonization costs below some number get treated as 0 in some areas but not others.

I have changed the F9 window to show two decimal places so it matches the economics window. I know this won't prevent the bug but it will at least provide a clearer view of the colony cost in future (unless its 0.001 :))

The actual problem was caused by the program assuming that you wouldn't have a population without infrastructure on a planet with colony cost higher than zero, which obviously isn't a safe assumption for many reasons. I have fixed this for v2.1

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Another fatal error
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 08:36:30 AM »
All the problems I've reported go away when I extract a new version of Stevefire.mdb from the Aurora 2.00 zip file.
(the only ones that don't are
- the academy name issue, (which you've fixed) and
- the 0.01 colony cost error,
both of which are "real" problems reproducible in any game, rather than corruption issues.
That's good news. I have also fixed the 0.01 colony issue as well now.

Agree that the fatal problems are both DB corruption issues, since I can re-produce them on a fresh install by just copying over starfire.mdb with the .mdb file from when I got the error.

If you want me to just ignore it, and see if it happens again, thats 100% fine. Or if you want the .mdb files that I saved from the error conditions, I can send them to you (though, I'm not sure how ... they're kinda big :) I was just wondering if a different version of Access on your machine compared to the one in which I created the database might cause the format error.

I have had Aurora hang -> kill through task manager at least once (during system generation) though not sure if it happened before the above problems.
That is a known but rare problem. Its happened to me about three times in the last six months and I know at least one other person has reported it. Unfortunately I have yet to pin it down. I think its an endless loop but can't find where.

I'm running a new game right now /w no precursors. Thus far, haven't hit any database (or other) issues, but I haven't explored that far from home either.

Good luck and thanks for the detailed error reporting.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
Steve -

Kind of a minor bug.  I've noticed on the ship intelligence window, where you match contacts with previously established profiles, Aurora seems to think that every ship is 8,800 tons.  No matter what the contact size is listed as, or the other factors, Aurora seems to ID all ships as 8800 tons.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Pete_Keller

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • P
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »
Many errors/comments:
1) Event message "XXX killed in training accident" and "XXX has developed a medical problem" do not list the job that XXX is assigned to (like retirement does)

2) Population and Production ->Industrial Production -- all the amount blocks are blank and default to 0.  Would prefer to default to one.

3) Population and Production ->Industrial Production -- Construction of planetary installations the word "Factories" (the upper left word) should read "Construction Factories".  I was confused for about a game year or 3 while I tried to figure out how to increase the factories.

4) If you are currently not researching anything, but have something queued in the pending area, on a time advance, you should move the top queued item to be the current research project.

5) In the current Research project, you should shade in the name field to represent % complete (starts out one color, and shades to another color as it completes)

6) In population location box, shade in the currently displayed population.

7) Add a button to the time controls "Advance to next event"

8) Queue shipyard assignments

9) Add a conditional order of "# spares left" to allow someone to move to nearest colony when # spares left = 1 for example

10) in System Map -> Display 2, add or change "Asteroids with colonies" to "Asteroids with colonies or minerals"

11) Event message XXX built on YYY ... add "assigned to ZZZ fleet"

12) After about 80 years or so (my notes on this are missing), the program starts throwing an error every turn.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Pete_Keller »

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »
I pick up Duranium on Earth, move it Mars, drop it off. It gets removed from the stockpile on Earth, but never gets added to the stockpile on Mars.

Also, is there any way to look at Precursors in a system? I had Precursors turned on and in a new system I got an Alien Fleet detected message but couldn't find any fleets there. Is the SM suppose to get any kind of note if there is a population or ruins in a system?

Also, My CFF doesn't appear to be working. My freighters and colony transports are in two seperate fleets of purely 1 class each but they are having system failures at an alarming rate. Is there something that needs to be set to have them use the CFF?

--Mav
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by mavikfelna »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
Also, My CFF doesn't appear to be working. My freighters and colony transports are in two seperate fleets of purely 1 class each but they are having system failures at an alarming rate. Is there something that needs to be set to have them use the CFF?

--Mav

Issue the cargo fleets the "Perform Maintenance Check" or something similar order.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
In the Brazil ship name theme, there is some odd characters between Acu and Afonso resulting in the ship names being jammed together for those two.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »
11st Infantry?
And the 13rd Engineer.

This is on the commander screen.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 04:19:36 PM »
Bug or Working As Intended (tm)?

Fighter wings cannot land on carriers in fleets with shipyard tasks, regardless if the carriers are not in the shipyards themselves.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »
If, for some dayquil-induced reason you assign the same research project to two different science outposts for the same race, and both complete the project, you get 2 of the item in the tech list.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2007, 09:16:13 PM »
My cargo fleet is currently 3 ships each capable of holding a single jump gate component. I have moved them to the jump point where my construction ship is waiting but I have no option to unload the parts so I can go back and get the remainder so I can begin construction on the gate.

Am I missing an option somewhere?

--Mav
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by mavikfelna »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
My cargo fleet is currently 3 ships each capable of holding a single jump gate component. I have moved them to the jump point where my construction ship is waiting but I have no option to unload the parts so I can go back and get the remainder so I can begin construction on the gate.

Am I missing an option somewhere?

--Mav

Build 2 more ships. I don't think you can kick the bits out of the door and let them float there until you use them...

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2007, 06:46:55 AM »
Small oddity with Asteroid Mining.  With two asteroids that I have mined out using ship mounted extraction modules, I can not pick up the last 1 ton of any minerals the asteroid had.  The stockpile always remains at 1 no matter how many times I try.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shinanygnz »