Author Topic: Real World 21st Century Ground Unit Templates  (Read 4025 times)

Offline backstab

• BTS! Playtesters
  • Lieutenant
  • b
Re: Real World 21st Century Ground Unit Templates
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:07 AM »

It's the Israeli knock-off but you get the idea. Especially as these formations are Generic NATO/Western ones. The point is that the vehicle is not armed with the mortar, hence why I'm using infantry: light bombardment instead.

[hr

That mortar in the picture isn’t a 60mm mortar ... looks more like an 81 or 120 ... totally understand that you didn’t mean mounted on ... it’s just that 60 mm mortars are normally given to light infantry companies and man packed every place ... hell , I’ve humped some of that stuff over a fair distance in my time in uniform ... nothing worse than getting stuck with the 50 cal receiver while your mate carries the barrel
Move foward and draw fire

Online Father Tim

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
... nothing worse than getting stuck with the 50 cal receiver while your mate carries the barrel

Doesn't your mate carry two barrels for the Browning?

Offline backstab

• BTS! Playtesters
  • Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 02:19:59 AM »
We had the whole section carringythe thing ... spare barrel, tripod, ammo ....
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Hazard

• Commander
  • H
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »
You don't want one guy carrying the only 2 barrels you've got anyway. It's one thing if you've got only 1, in which case the risk of point failure is impossible to avoid, but if you've got two?

Better to have 2 guys split the ammo between them and each carry a barrel instead of losing one to enemy action or an accident and have a useless gun.

Offline Garfunkel

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
I can't seem to find any reliable company level TO&E for other Russian and Chinese formations, so for them it might just be best to use the equivalent NATO ones.

Steve, is the stuff I've made useful or would you like it to be in a different layout or format? Would it help if I made a list of currently active brigade level formations around the world? Or is there something else we can do to help with this part of the project?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • S
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »
I can't seem to find any reliable company level TO&E for other Russian and Chinese formations, so for them it might just be best to use the equivalent NATO ones.

Steve, is the stuff I've made useful or would you like it to be in a different layout or format? Would it help if I made a list of currently active brigade level formations around the world? Or is there something else we can do to help with this part of the project?

I think what you have is fine. Once I start creating real world ground templates I will begin getting into this in more detail.

At work I have been doing some coding using JSON files to read complex hand histories for poker hands into a C# structure (which has been fun because in my job I don't get to be hands-on as often as I would like). This might be a good format for the type of open-ended constructs that ground formations entail. I could come up with a suitable JSON file format that players can create and Aurora can read straight into unit classes and formation templates.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53