Author Topic: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x VB6 clone  (Read 163202 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Quasar4x - An Aurora4x VB6 clone
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2021, 04:32:26 AM »
Is there a way to slow down research? So used to 10-20% speed from C#-Aurora that it feels like a superrush in Quasar... .

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #436 on: August 20, 2021, 06:42:51 PM »
Is there a way to slow down research? So used to 10-20% speed from C#-Aurora that it feels like a superrush in Quasar... .

I've always felt research is too fast in any game I play (not just aurora-likes) too.  But some component designs are so expensive to research.  (Anyone know the reasoning for that?)  Maybe two research speed settings, one for racial tech and one for "stock" tech? 

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #437 on: August 21, 2021, 03:34:32 AM »
I've always felt research is too fast in any game I play (not just aurora-likes) too.  But some component designs are so expensive to research.  (Anyone know the reasoning for that?)  Maybe two research speed settings, one for racial tech and one for "stock" tech?
Yes, that is it what feels off in Aurora...  :)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #438 on: August 21, 2021, 03:47:08 AM »
Progress update 2021-08-21:

Lots of fixes and bits of QoL have been added, listed in the Patch Updates thread.  I haven't left Sol yet in my campaign, although I did peek in on a system where an exploring NPR discovered a Star Swarm hive and engaged in a small skirmish.  This caused the well known phenomenon of clicking '5 days' repeatedly only to see seconds or minutes pass by each time with no perceivable events because the skirmish was in a system my race had yet to discover.

Were I to use auto-turns this wouldn't be a huge deal because I could just go get a cup of coffee while waiting for the next player interrupt.

(And that is how auto-turns still works after the feature I'm about to describe was added).  But I was advancing 5 days, making a couple changes, advancing another 5 days, making a couple more changes, and so on.

So I added an "Auto-repeat of turns shortened by NPR interrupts" feature which gets around this problem by automatically repeating turns until the requested increment length is reached.  When an increment is shortened and an auto-repeat occurs, a Turn Progress window will appear, which includes an 'Interrupt' button allowing you to interrupt the auto-repeating turns early.  You might notice in the animation the "last time increment" events are combined into a single event, to make it easier to see the total amount of time that elapsed when all is said and done, rather than a flood of lots of little time increments with no activity in between. 

Note this feature only takes effect when the event that shortened the increment time took place in a system with no player presence.  Any shortening that occurs in a system with a player will still stop the turn, in order to let the player react.  Also note this only happens with auto-turns unchecked.  There is a new checkbox in the settings window that lets you disable this feature.

For now, the Turn Progress only appears when an "Auto-repeat of turns shortened by NPR interrupts" occurs.  In the future I can certainly enable it for *all* lengthy turns in the future, although I will prefer to do an optimization pass first if turns get that long.

Automation of fuel harvester bases

Awhile ago I added the new default order 'Load fuel at harvester' so it could be combined with the 'Fuel tanks full' condition and subsequent 'Unload 90% Fuel at Nearest Colony' order.  (Or the new 'Unload 90% Fuel at Capital' order).  The 'Load fuel at harvester' default order will assign a 'Refuel from target fleet' order targeting the nearest harvester with fuel tanks 25% full or more.  If the tanker doesn't fill up, it idles until another 25% batch is available, then loads that as well, repeating until tanks are full and it can head home. 

However 'Refuel from target fleet' traditionally fails and interrupts the turn if the fleet cannot be fully refueled, which is sometimes desirable, but not when you're trying to set up something automated.  So I added an "Any Amount" checkbox on the Fleet Orders window that (only) appears for Refuel from Target Fleet and Resupply from Target Fleet.  When checked, the order you add will read slightly differently:  "Refuel any amount from target fleet."  The move will be considered complete (rather than failing) regardless of whether enough fuel/supplies were available to completely refill.  The order assigned by the Default Order "Load fuel at harvester" will now be for Any Amount, so it's possible to fully automate retrieval of fuel from harvesters without intervention.   I may find similar uses for this checkbox with other order types in the future.

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, iceball3, JacenHan, TMaekler, Warer, Gabrote42

Offline Tchey

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
Hi,

I have now started a new game with Quasar (i saw an update about one hour ago, pure random luck (or curse)).

I was postponing my Aurora attempts since... years...

Adieu, merci.

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #440 on: August 27, 2021, 06:35:26 AM »
Progress update 2021-08-27:

I have become allies with the Chimbia.  They have already provided significant boosts to my power and propulsion technology by gifting me the lowest one third of their researched tech.  Diplomatic relations continue to strengthen and they have dropped hints that they will soon be sharing all of their known technology.  This would advance my own capabilities by almost unfathomable amounts.  I'm not sure I'm ready to redesign almost every component and ship I have.  It almost feels too easy.

In addition to technology, the Chimbia provide me with plenty of military protection and trade.  The Chimbia tell stories of two other alien races but I've yet to encounter them.

I've finally started branching out and exploring my neighboring systems.  So far I've found alien installations in one system which I am currently deciphering, and mysterious wrecks in another which I have yet to investigate.  I've found several terrestrial worlds that are quite cheap to inhabit and have started settlements on two of them.

I just uncovered the jump point to the Zosi system.  So far I've only sent a probe to the other side, but that was enough to gather this surprising data:

Our top scientists have not been able to identify these trace amounts of this mysterious, apparently artificial, gas that appears to be lowering the surface temperature of the planet.  For now, we are calling it "Anti-Greenhouse Gas."  This system is a mere 2 billion km away from Sol as the ship flies, which is much, much closer than predictions we made back in 2025 about how far we'd have to go before being likely to find an alien homeworld.  Has an alien race really grown this fast?  Did we just find a shortcut?  Is this a glitch in the system that needs correcting?  Time will tell.

---

Plenty more fixes and a new feature or two since the last progress update.  One new feature I added is a new checkbox on the quasar4x-only Policy tab on the F2 window: "Set selected population as the default destination for mass drivers in its system"

Just before the mass driver phase in the construction cycle, the game will check for populations with at least one mass driver and no destination selected.  If any are found, the game will update their destinations to the checkmarked location so long as there is a mass driver ready to receive packets.

Using this checkbox, you can queue up a fleet order or a contract for a mass driver to be shipped to a given mining population, and not have to worry about remembering to come back to the population screen after delivery to set the mass driver destination.

Note: it's safe to check this box on populations that do not yet have a mass driver.  Automatic assignments of mass driver destinations won't begin until the destination population acquires a mass driver.

The following users thanked this post: Tchey, Warer

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #441 on: August 30, 2021, 08:29:20 AM »
I feel civilians do produce infrastructure very fast. After I put my initial 1000 Infrastructure and 2 million people on a planet, I can just let the build infrastructure on their own and never have to take care of having to send more infrastructure - even if I don't start terraforming. Of course if I shovel people there without end I have to take care of infrastructure. But if I don't I simply can add limited numbers of colonists and let them keep building on their own.

Generally I think it is ok this way - I was just wondering if that is a one on one compared to VB6 Aurora or the new C#. It never felt that "easy" to let civilians build on their own in the two "originals".

Offline Agm-114

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Registered
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Discord Username: AGM-114#7218
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
Yes, I have a DB mod that did this. The update broke it but when I fix it I'll post it.
I wanted more expensive techs but not components. So if you just modified research labs that might work better.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »
Yes, I have a DB mod that did this. The update broke it but when I fix it I'll post it.
I wanted more expensive techs but not components. So if you just modified research labs that might work better.
Either modifying the labs or waiting for Kyle to add a modifier  ;)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »
In terms of technology research, I was always thinking that a slight modification would move the game a bit closer to realism. Usually, research is more focused on during the war and less intensive during peacetime. Because during wartime any small advantage is needed to outwit the enemy. But during peacetime, a bigger leap in technology is acceptable due to no immediate threat. And it is, therefore, more acceptable that it takes a longer time for new technology to be researched.

Let's say we have Drive class E which gives us 10 EP per HS. The next tech would give us 20 EP per HS but it would take 75.000 RP. But war breaks out and the enemy is faster than us. So a drive with 14 EP per HS could help us out quite a lot. And if we could research that for 25.000 RP, we could benefit from it and use it during the war.
The war ends and we want to research the 20 EP drive. But since we already researched the 14 EP drive for 25.000 RP we can research the 20 EP drive for 62.500 now. Of course, in total, we have paid more RP than by directly researching the 20 EP drive - but we did it to gain an advantage in war.

Speaking in general: once a new engine type (or any research stack for that matter) is researched it should open a list of possible new research options like this:

12 EP Drive: 15.000 RP
14 EP Drive: 25.000 RP
16 EP Drive: 40.000 RP
18 EP Drive: 55.000 RP
20 EP Drive: 75.000 RP

50% of any RP of the intermediate techs (12-18 EP) is subtracted from the final tech. And usually, you would jump to the final tech - except you now do have options during times of war and have to make a decision if it is worth the effort. I also think there are several tech lines that could benefit from this... .

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #445 on: September 01, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »

Here's what I'm thinking of doing in the next release or two.  I want to have two modifiers you can change on the Game Details page, one for core tech and one for racial tech.  But I don't want to lose the "feel" of how much work is represented by, say, 1000 RP, and I especially wouldn't want 1000 RP to represent different amounts of work depending on whether the tech was racial.  So I would have modifiers that affect the development costs of technologies and research projects themselves.  Any time the game selected TechSystem.DevelopCost from the db, it would now multiply that by the modifier.  So, for example, if you changed the core technology modifier from 100% to 200%, Gravitational Survey Sensors would cost 4000 RP, rather than the standard 2000 RP they cost now. 

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #446 on: September 02, 2021, 12:23:15 AM »
Do you have any plans of building a ship construction queue similar to the planet construction queue? Would be a nice QoL  ;D

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #447 on: September 02, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
When your production chain breaks due to mineral shortages your nation gains massive amounts of money due to the workers still producing wealth that is no longer used by the production. Since the workers are basically on short work should not any slowed production also minimize the income of wealth? Those people cannot pay taxes anymore... .

I think this was the same in VB6 - but maybe it would make sense to change?

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #448 on: September 02, 2021, 04:05:17 PM »
Do you have any plans of building a ship construction queue similar to the planet construction queue? Would be a nice QoL  ;D

I do want to improve QoL for these types of things at some point but for now I'm sticking to simpler changes that keep the UI layout as faithful to VB6 as possible.

When your production chain breaks due to mineral shortages your nation gains massive amounts of money due to the workers still producing wealth that is no longer used by the production. Since the workers are basically on short work should not any slowed production also minimize the income of wealth? Those people cannot pay taxes anymore... .

I think this was the same in VB6 - but maybe it would make sense to change?

Yep should be the same as VB6.  At this point I have no plans to make any balance-related changes to the game. 

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #449 on: September 02, 2021, 05:08:55 PM »
Aurora, as is, doesn't really wrestle with financial losses due to unemployment as is. A full overhaul would be necessary to make a lot of the numbers make sense beyond a significant abstraction, so is probably out of scope for the time being imo. Could be something for a mod maybe :P