Author Topic: 3.2 Bugs  (Read 21042 times)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: 3.2 Bugs
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
am play with a "upgrade" 3.2 file,steve's upload some days ago..and IVENT none bugs from 2005 to 2058 years to game..

So lonely bugs are a very strange but am success to eliminate from "windows" news:):am try to explain.

Ive found in 2012 an RUINS Colony on PLUTO..all done,ive send Archeo,Geo and some Cybernetics teams to exploit this awesome new..

WHEN my archeo found a "Shipyard" and my Cybern get online and functionally..a BUG come.
It's a vicious bug,runtime and log from game.

IN DM mode ive ERASED TOTALLY the SHIPYARD from PLUTO sheet..and BUG not coming further.

Probable the bug are because on PLUTO not are population...and STeve's program calculate something in conjuction to SHIPYARD and POPULATION but Population ARE ZERO..it's my obviously stupid idea..

Srry for very terrible english.
it's lonely bug ive encounter..so am play without trouble from 2012 to 2058,now..and hope go on:)
CYA!!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Suggestions should properly be in the Suggestion forum threads. But, since you had bugs, I'll leave this post here :)

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:58 AM »
When designing some new engines, I tried to give them a very descriptive name and used most of the space in the input field.  When I tried to create the engine design I received an error that its name was too big for the database.  I removed a few characters and tried again.  Same error.  And once again before I shortened it enough to fit.  This was during race creation so I then used the instant research button (instant RTS or whatever it is called).  What ended up happening is I now have those 3 nameless engines as available ship components.  That wouldn't be bad except every time I open the class design window it throws 3 error dialogs which isn't fatal, but is annoying.  

BTW, I also verified I get errors every time I enter a new unsurveyed system if I have the task force window box checked to center the task force on the system map.  Eventually that error goes away, perhaps as the grav survey progresses, but I don't know exactly what is triggering it or resolving it.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:16 AM »
This requires the operator to do something stupid, but if when creating a new game you accidentally click on the create race button before creating a system for them first, the program goes in to an infinite loop of errors that requires killing from the task manager.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2009, 07:25:54 AM »
I ran in to the same bug that someone else posted about fuel refineries not working.  This is with a new game / new race / not Sol.  I've tried toggling fuel production on and off without effect.  I have the several hundred (600?) starting fuel refineries and plenty of every mineral, but no fuel is being produced.  I built an additional fuel refinery to see if that would help, but no dice.  I have yet to figure out how to get fuel production running.  I've queued up researching increased fuel production to see if that helps.

Follow up:  I confirmed that the mineral needed for fuel refineries (Sorium or whatever it's called) was being consumed.  If I toggle off fuel production, it stops being consumed, and if I toggle it back on, it resumes being consumed, but no fuel is produced.  I finally used the SM option to edit the stockpiles and manually add fuel once my stock was exhausted so I could keep playing.  

Also, I finished researching increased fuel production and that did not help.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:08:47 AM by jfelten »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
When designing some new engines, I tried to give them a very descriptive name and used most of the space in the input field.  When I tried to create the engine design I received an error that its name was too big for the database.  I removed a few characters and tried again.  Same error.  And once again before I shortened it enough to fit.  This was during race creation so I then used the instant research button (instant RTS or whatever it is called).  What ended up happening is I now have those 3 nameless engines as available ship components.  That wouldn't be bad except every time I open the class design window it throws 3 error dialogs which isn't fatal, but is annoying.  

Hit crtl-F7 and you can mark the nameless ones obsolete.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
Was just checking on something in the SM Mods screen, and I noticed that the Shipyards entry for the colony was .652, but there are 5 yards with a good 25 slips.

Could this also be related to the refinery issue?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Was just checking on something in the SM Mods screen, and I noticed that the Shipyards entry for the colony was .652, but there are 5 yards with a good 25 slips.

IIRC, the Shipyards entry on the SM Mods screen no longer relates to the actual shipyards/slipways now that Steve changed the SY's from the old version to the current SY/Slipways.  Now, how .652 got in there, what it means, and what it will affect is a whole other question.  

Kurt

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"

IIRC, the Shipyards entry on the SM Mods screen no longer relates to the actual shipyards/slipways now that Steve changed the SY's from the old version to the current SY/Slipways.  Now, how .652 got in there, what it means, and what it will affect is a whole other question.  

Kurt

Were you perhaps building a shipyad at the time?  Normally the SM Mods value for Shipyards is 1, regardless of how many (if any) you have.  Planetary bombardment, collateral damage from ground combat, and/or building a new shipyard may alter the number displayed on SM Mods.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2009, 02:41:12 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Quote from: "Kurt"

Kurt

Were you perhaps building a shipyad at the time?  Normally the SM Mods value for Shipyards is 1, regardless of how many (if any) you have.  Planetary bombardment, collateral damage from ground combat, and/or building a new shipyard may alter the number displayed on SM Mods.

That there was. 1.348. Guess that adds up to 2 ;)

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2009, 04:22:43 AM »

Thanks.  And now that I know to look for it, I found the "View Tech" button that opens a window to let you do that.  I marked those "nameless" engines as obsolete and now it doesn't pester me with 3 errors every time I open the class design window.  I think the best "fix" would be to make the input field smaller so the user couldn't enter name that is too long, although it wouldn't hurt to truncate it to the maximum length of the field as well just in case.  

Before I did that, I had a very weird thing happen when I restarted Aurora.  When I first opened the Class Design window I received no errors but the Class Design window showed no Engines whatsoever.  Apparently those "blank engines" caused it to ignore all engines when I restarted it.  Fortunately marking those 3 "blank engines" as obsolete has worked around that as I restarted Aurora after marking them as obsolete and I do see engines now.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
This is pretty minor but I think survey ships may be re-surveying surveyed JP's or something resulting in the Galactic Map showing things like 36/30 surveyed.  Whatever the cause, the Galactic Map often shows more JP's surveyed than exist.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »
This one is more user error than a bug, but I accidentally started a research project on a small colony (thinking I had my HW selected) and the bug aspect was I could find no way to cancel it.  Worse, I couldn't research that important tech on my HW because the colony was researching it.  There is a button to remove queued research but unless I'm missing it, no way to cancel a research project once it has been started.  I also couldn't find a way to instant finish it even in SM mode since it was being researched and not in the researchable list (couldn't instant it even by displaying already researched techs).  I finally had to cheat and SM edit the colony to give it a bunch of pop and research centers so it could research that tech (then set it all back).

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
This one is more user error than a bug, but I accidentally started a research project on a small colony (thinking I had my HW selected) and the bug aspect was I could find no way to cancel it.  Worse, I couldn't research that important tech on my HW because the colony was researching it.  There is a button to remove queued research but unless I'm missing it, no way to cancel a research project once it has been started.  I also couldn't find a way to instant finish it even in SM mode since it was being researched and not in the researchable list (couldn't instant it even by displaying already researched techs).  I finally had to cheat and SM edit the colony to give it a bunch of pop and research centers so it could research that tech (then set it all back).

It's actually very easy - research something else.  Aurora will toss a confirmation box, but if you say yes it will switch to the new project and the old one will pop back onto the list.  Any research points accumulated towards the tech will be noted.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »

Thanks.  And now that I know to look for it, I found the "View Tech" button that opens a window to let you do that.  I marked those "nameless" engines as obsolete and now it doesn't pester me with 3 errors every time I open the class design window.  I think the best "fix" would be to make the input field smaller so the user couldn't enter name that is too long, although it wouldn't hurt to truncate it to the maximum length of the field as well just in case.  

Before I did that, I had a very weird thing happen when I restarted Aurora.  When I first opened the Class Design window I received no errors but the Class Design window showed no Engines whatsoever.  Apparently those "blank engines" caused it to ignore all engines when I restarted it.  Fortunately marking those 3 "blank engines" as obsolete has worked around that as I restarted Aurora after marking them as obsolete and I do see engines now.
I've seen this one too and I still haven't figured out the problem. I don't think its related to the engines you mentioned. I think Aurora is listing components for PDCs rather than ships but I am not sure yet why it occasionally does that.

Steve