Author Topic: 3.2 Bugs  (Read 21044 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: 3.2 Bugs
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
When the ship arrives I get the notification that there are no acceptable survey locations within 10 billion km's, even though there is a planet and 10 moons within less than one million km's of the ship.  If I change the orders to "survey nearest body" then the ship will survey the planet and its moons, albiet slowly.  
Hi Kurt,

This sounds a lot like a bug with "next 5 locations" that used to (a year or so ago?) show up frequently when surveying asteroid belts.  IIRC it had something to do with an optimization trick Steve used to sort the list of candidate survey locations, to avoid re-scaning every body in the system (to see which is closest) for each of the 5 locations.  I think it would only happen with the 2-5 locations; the first one was ok (I might be mis-remembering, though).  When you get the "no acceptable survey locations message", do you remember if it actually found the first one, but then wasn't able to find the 2-5 locations, or is it not finding any?  I suspect that it's finding the first one, since "survey nearest body" works.  That sounds very much like the bug from days gone by.

The weird thing is that I thought Steve fixed this one a long time ago.  On the other hand, before I remember it happening mostly for asteroids, so maybe it's the same bug in a different code location.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2008, 06:15:22 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

I've encountered this bug several times in 3.1, and I don't remember hearing about it before so it probably hasn't been fixed in 3.2.  This problem is in the survey orders, specifically the "Survey Next Five system bodies".  This bug seems to come up only when there is a planet more than 10 billion kilometers from its primary.  I'll get the survey message that a planetary survey group has no more valid survey locations, and when I check the system I'll notice that there is a planet that hasn't been surveyed yet, or its moons.  When I check, sure enough the planet has a distant orbit more than 10 billion km's out, so that is why it wasn't seen by Aurora as a valid survey location.  No problem if it is within reasonable travel distance I manually assign the planet as a travel destination for the survey ship and leave the ships orders (Survey next five system bodies) as is, so that when the ship arrives it will begin surveying the planet and its moons.  I've noticed more than once that this does not work.  When the ship arrives I get the notification that there are no acceptable survey locations within 10 billion km's, even though there is a planet and 10 moons within less than one million km's of the ship.  If I change the orders to "survey nearest body" then the ship will survey the planet and its moons, albiet slowly.  

I haven't noticed if this bug comes up every time this situation is encountered, or only occasionally, as it isn't very common.  I will pay attention from now on.  
This is a bug in v3.1 but it was fixed for v3.2. For v3.1, its probably best to avoid the next 5 option and just use next system body

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2008, 06:16:34 AM »
Quote from: "Randy"
Mystery Fuel Production..

I have turned off my fuel refineries (clicked the stop production for my only planet), but every turn there is more fuel available...

Curious as to the source, and if it is consuming minerals...
Do you have any civilian space centres? I used to have them producing fuel so maybe I didn't turn that off when I changed the way civ ships work.

Steve

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2008, 03:40:26 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Quote from: "Randy"
Mystery Fuel Production..

I have turned off my fuel refineries (clicked the stop production for my only planet), but every turn there is more fuel available...

Curious as to the source, and if it is consuming minerals...
Do you have any civilian space centres? I used to have them producing fuel so maybe I didn't turn that off when I changed the way civ ships work.

Steve

I just tested this in a new game I started. Yes, Civil Space Centers produce about 5.500 liters of fuel per 5-day turn.

On a related note:
This is, however, the only fuel I get, even with 100+ fuel refineries running.
This is a pre-trans-newton game with 5 races in 4 systems and its the same with all of them
There was fuel produced by the conventional industry
Non of the fuel refineries that the conv. ind was transformed into did produce anything.
When the first civ SC was build and I saw the fuellevel rising, I thought the problem was gone, but soon I realized the amount was far too low for my refineries.
There were no "new" fuel refineries build, only converted conventional industrie. Hm, I will build a single refinery and see if there is something wrong with the converting.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 07:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
On a related note:
This is a pre-trans-newton game with 5 races in 4 systems and its the same with all of them
Non of the fuel refineries that the conv. ind was transformed into did produce anything.
When the first civ SC was build and I saw the fuellevel rising, I thought the problem was gone, but soon I realized the amount was far too low for my refineries.
There were no "new" fuel refineries build, only converted conventional industrie. Hm, I will build a single refinery and see if there is something wrong with the converting.

Ok, I tested it, and no, even with a genuinely build fuel refinerey, no fuel produced
As those are all homeworlds, there are plenty of workers and a nice environment.
The refineries also have not been shut down (this time nothing was ever shut down in the Industry status screen)

I´m at a total loss here
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Quote from: "James Patten"
I tried scrapping a pre-TN missile base by clicking on "destroy ship" because I was hoping to recoup some material.  Now there's a wreck on planet.

There is a shipyard function for scrapping ships.

True, but PDCs cannot be scrapped by a shipyard.  It does not appear that the construction factories can either.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
[quote="HawkeyeOk, I tested it, and no, even with a genuinely build fuel refinerey, no fuel produced
As those are all homeworlds, there are plenty of workers and a nice environment.
The refineries also have not been shut down (this time nothing was ever shut down in the Industry status screen)

I´m at a total loss here[/quote]

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have Sorium stockpiled?
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:12 AM »
On a related note:

Ok, I tested it, and no, even with a genuinely build fuel refinerey, no fuel produced

I´m at a total loss here
I've removed the fuel production by Civilian space centres for v3.3 but I can't find any problems with fuel production from normal refineries. Try using instant research on the next level of fuel production and see if that has any effect.

Steve

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
Two things I found.

1. I tried to compact the database (in order to hopefully send it somewhere).  The backup db was made, but instead of compacting the Stevefire.mdb, it deleted it.  Fortunately I had the backup.

2. I had two fleets that I wanted to join.  I intended to order Fleet B to join Fleet A.  Instead I ordered Fleet B to absorb Fleet A.  Fleet B disappeared from the universe.  The ships are gone.  The officers are still active, but in an unknown state.  I'm hopeful that Fleet B is still in the database somewhere but the front end doesn't know anything about it.  Steve can you help?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2009, 09:22:45 AM »
[quote="Steve WalmsleyI've removed the fuel production by Civilian space centres for v3.3 but I can't find any problems with fuel production from normal refineries. Try using instant research on the next level of fuel production and see if that has any effect.

Steve[/quote]

Done that, (fuel production raised to 24.000l per anno) still no joy
All 4 races have the same problem.
Fuel production for civilian space centers went up to about 6.650l per 5-day-turn (pretty close to the 20% increase supposed to happen for refineries, was this linked to the refinery tech?) for each one, but the fuel refineries still don´t generate anything.

As the database is about 50Mb by now (I have to look into it, maybe I can shrink it a bit), I am not eager to mail this thing to you, but I can upload it to rapidshare, so you can download it, if you want to.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
As the database is about 50Mb by now (I have to look into it, maybe I can shrink it a bit), I am not eager to mail this thing to you, but I can upload it to rapidshare, so you can download it, if you want to.

Ok, uploaded the database (winrar compressed it to about 4.8 Mb)

You can get it at:

http://rapidshare.com/files/178765897/Stevefire.rar
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
New Stevefire.db RAR uploading
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
A stupid question,ive missed IF or NOT needed to download this last upload..?
Srry,for now my 3.2v still going good,and nothing bug upcoming for now..45years game over..

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2009, 06:38:11 AM »
I've noticed the problem with Fuel refineries not producing as well, but mine happened after I had turned off production at a Ruins site to save manpower there.  I had left Earth's switched on but no fuel at all was produced after I had switched off the colony production.  I tried turning it back on and instant researching the next fuel mproduction tech with no avail.  This was by using the Shutdown Industry civilian tab rather than the Industrial Production Stop Producing button.

Offline saw

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
I have also noticed the problem with fuel production not restarting even after it is switched on sometimes after it has been switched off.  This does occur intermittently and not every time production is turned off.  

One thing that usually seems to re-start the actual production is when a unit draws fuel.  It almost seems as if there is a flag somewhere that gets reset, allowing fuel production to begin again.

Steve

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2009, 05:27:19 AM »
Greetings.  I'm new to Aurora but have played Starfire since the original TFG editions in the early 80's.  I tried Aurora 3.2 for the first time this weekend.  For some odd reason I can't post to here from home (it always times out when I hit "Submit" which is really weird) so I don't have all of the problem details handy, but I'll do my best to explain them.

I always get an error from the Galactic Map that it can't find the 'Flags' directory, even though the Flags sub-directory exists and has the flags files in it.  Since nobody else has reported this, I assumed I did something wrong when I installed, but I've double checked everything and I was wondering if perhaps everyone else upgraded from 3.1 and I'm the only one to do a clean install so far?  The odd thing is that the error isn't that it can't find a particular file, but that it can't find the Flags sub-directory which is clearly there.  

If a ship is max speed zero (either no engines or all engines damaged) I get errors on the Task Force window.  It may have to do with whether the 'center on system map' check box is checked on the TF window.

Sometimes I get errors on the system map for freshly explored systems.  It seems to go away after awhile as surveying continues.  Sorry I don't have the exact error here to paste in but if that is needed I can write it down the next time I encounter it.  

Perhaps not strictly a bug, but it would be nice if when transferring ships between TF's that it didn't deselect the destination TF every time forcing you to manually reselect it each time.  

I keep running in to an oddball problem with ships being overhauled.  I'll order them to move to Earth and then start an overhaul.  Then I forget about them for awhile until I noticed they are falling apart.  I'll check and although they show as being in overhaul status, the clock keeps increasing.  Apparently they are not exactly at Earth despite the orders telling them to move to Earth first.  If I manually move them to Earth, then the clock starts decreasing.  This can be quite frustrating when I don't notice it until the clock is up to 7 years for example.  Then I have to wait another 3.5 years for that ship to be available.  

I've also seen a few times where a ship ordered to make several transits and move to Earth and begin an overhaul, spontaneously goes to overhaul status in some distant start system in deep space.  Of course the clock keeps increasing and the ship will eventually fall apart.  I can find no way to cancel an overhaul.  If there is a way to cancel an overhaul, someone please let me know.  The only solution I've found for this is to manually teleport the ship to Earth via SM mode.  I've not figured out what causes this situation because it only happens now and then.  The orders are still there for it to make the journey back to Earth but it seems to skip those and execute the last order (which is to being overhaul, even though it is not at Earth yet).  

Tied in to the above, I do not think ships undergoing overhaul should continue to fall apart.  It is very annoying for an intact ship to start a long overhaul, then during the overhaul enough things fall apart that it runs out of maintenance parts and then things start breaking for real.  So when the overhaul finishes, the ship then has to spend months or years in a shipyard being repaired.  If it is being overhauled, it should not keep falling apart.  I thought the maintenance system was a wonderful detail/feature but after playing awhile I'm thinking of joining the no maintenance crowd because it becomes a time sink to micro manage it.  If the failure rate was cut by a factor of 5x or 10x, I think it would be a nice "random event" feature I would use.  Perhaps an option could be added in addition to no maintenance to allow a multiplier to how often failures occur?  I just can't see running a big empire with the current maintenance system but I hate to not use it because it is so well done otherwise.  

A few times research completions where not mentioned in the events list.  I've gone back and double checked this.  

For someone that reported a problem with not being able to un-minimize a window, it may be that that windows is just "off screen".  I had several windows start off-screen when I first started the game.  If using microsoft windows, you can right click on the program in the task bar and select "move", and then you must use the arrow keys to move the window (not the mouse) on to the screen.  

An asteroid with nothing but automated mines on it somehow spawned a fraction of a population unit and started bitching about not having enough infrastructure.  I didn't go digging back through the events to see if a civilian colonizer put them there.  I kind of tune out the civilian events as clutter so could have very well missed it, but I'm 100% certain that I didn't send any pop there.  

Once a civilian non jump capable freighter went through a one way jump gate (no jump gate on the other side) then apparently got stuck.  Fortunately they then offered to sell it to me so I bought it and sent a jump ship so it could come home.  

Things not really bugs; more like wishes, so maybe they should go somewhere else on this BBS?

I wish ships in a TF would pool their maintenance parts (MSP's).  

When the events window references a ship (such as when something falls apart), I wish it would also list what TF that ship is in.  Otherwise what I have to do to find it is look in the Individual Unit window to find what TF it is in (maybe this information is elsewhere?) then go open that TF.  I'm guessing there is a better way but I've not found it yet.  

I wish there was some way to edit orders.  Sometimes I enter a long list of orders and then realize I made a mistake early in the list and have to redo them all.

I wish for the conditional order to refuel when fuel gets down to a certain percentage, in addition to 10%, 20%, and 30% options, that there was a 50% option so I could have ships turn around when they reach the half way point.  

I wish for an additional conditional order to return home (or the nearest stockpile) for more MSP's once they get below a certain percentage similar to the fuel percentage conditional order.  

I wish that I could set defaults for new TF's such as to accelerate to max speed.  It would save repeating the same clicks every time I create a TF.  

If ships are going to continue falling apart when being overhauled, I wish there was a way to load or transfer MSP's to them.

Finally, I want to thank Steve for sharing his creation the same way he shared Starfire Assistant.