Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.3  (Read 12888 times)

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
  • You Posted! You Posted! : Earned for posting at least 1 time.
    Have something to say! Have something to say! : Earned for posting at least 10 times.
    Talkative! Talkative! : Earned for posting at least 100 times.
Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
Quote from: "backstab"
Any Chance of Orbital colonies and marine boarding parties ?
I like the idea of boarding parties, although assault shuttles would also need to be included.  Maybe a ship component of "Marine Detachment" or "Security Station" where the strength of the marines on board was based on the ground troop strength tech and number of detachments or stations included.  Another way to avoid assault shuttles would be for a ship to be able to dock with another.  To go along with this, an order for ship capture, or board to search for contraband, could be given to ship X with ship Y as the target.  The order would be carried out as long as Ship X was able to catch Ship Y and maintain the same position.  As ship X gained on ship Y the captain attempted to get ship Y to stop using what diplomacy skill he has.  Obviously not having any diplomacy skill will more than likely result in hostile action, but should said captain succeed, he could possibly gain a diplomacy bonus, or raise an existing one.

Adam.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    Have something to say! Have something to say! : Earned for posting at least 10 times.
    You should be a moderator! You should be a moderator! : Earned for posting at least 1000 times.
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
I like the idea of boarding parties, although assault shuttles would also need to be included.  Maybe a ship component of "Marine Detachment" or "Security Station" where the strength of the marines on board was based on the ground troop strength tech and number of detachments or stations included.  Another way to avoid assault shuttles would be for a ship to be able to dock with another.  To go along with this, an order for ship capture, or board to search for contraband, could be given to ship X with ship Y as the target.  The order would be carried out as long as Ship X was able to catch Ship Y and maintain the same position.  As ship X gained on ship Y the captain attempted to get ship Y to stop using what diplomacy skill he has.  Obviously not having any diplomacy skill will more than likely result in hostile action, but should said captain succeed, he could possibly gain a diplomacy bonus, or raise an existing one.

Adam.

This also fits in with the "pirates" thread somewhere else.  I would expect anti-piracy designs to be heavy on boarding and shuttle capability.  One campaign I would be interested in playing is one where an isolated empire that had a pure piracy-suppression navy encountered a warlike NPR.

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
    You should be a moderator! You should be a moderator! : Earned for posting at least 1000 times.
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
Steve,u remember Subsector ICONS on Megatravl,around the Stellar System? Presence or not of Gas Giant (ex:Sorium on GG) presence or not of Water (same purpouse FLEET movement planning) and so on..
CAN u make same option for Galactical Map and so we have a fastest fuel strategical situation,for bettter planning on Fleet movement or war planning,blockade strategical resypply Systems and so on..?

best regarde.

P:S!!

OBVIOUSLY this "icons" for Sorium presence are available ONLY after the Survey (geo) are complete at 100%...

Giorgio
Italy

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Steve,u remember Subsector ICONS on Megatravl,around the Stellar System? Presence or not of Gas Giant (ex:Sorium on GG) presence or not of Water (same purpouse FLEET movement planning) and so on..
CAN u make same option for Galactical Map and so we have a fastest fuel strategical situation,for bettter planning on Fleet movement or war planning,blockade strategical resypply Systems and so on..?

best regarde.

OBVIOUSLY this "icons" for Sorium presence are available ONLY after the Survey (geo) are complete at 100%...

Giorgio
Italy

You can show planets that have a suitable habitability cost (0-2), (2-4), etc. This would do the "water" thing. But that is usually only for your species.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
NO Erik:)),am mean a completely another thing..

Sorium are vital,crucial,for Fleet Operations in War time,first fact.
WE need an option in "galactic map": "WHERE are this damned SORIUM surveyed?"
Hope u understand what am mean:)

Am need an USEFUL icon for represent this resource to show in galactic map,WHEN we have surveyed a GAS GIANT (if Sorium present) AND above the planets,IF presents.

for waht need this info? simple.

Steve remember MEGATRAVELLER Fleet Operation on Gas Giant refuel..need Fuel Harvester on fleet?send one before and parking around a Gas surveyed?ENEMY WHERE can refuel easy before us?

ICON to Sorium Representation on Galmap are VERY useful.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »
I note where sorium is in gas giants by putting a label on my map (usually "Fuel" because that's pretty short).  Of course you cannot attach the label to a star, so when I move stars around the label is left behind and I forget where it was to begin with.

Waresky's suggestion of an icon showing where sorium-laden gas giants are is spot-on.  Very helpful.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
NO Erik:)),am mean a completely another thing..

Sorium are vital,crucial,for Fleet Operations in War time,first fact.
WE need an option in "galactic map": "WHERE are this damned SORIUM surveyed?"
Hope u understand what am mean:)

Am need an USEFUL icon for represent this resource to show in galactic map,WHEN we have surveyed a GAS GIANT (if Sorium present) AND above the planets,IF presents.

for waht need this info? simple.

Steve remember MEGATRAVELLER Fleet Operation on Gas Giant refuel..need Fuel Harvester on fleet?send one before and parking around a Gas surveyed?ENEMY WHERE can refuel easy before us?

ICON to Sorium Representation on Galmap are VERY useful.

I was referring to the water suggestion, not the sorium one. Showing gas giants as a symbol on the galactic map is useful. But I tend to build a refueling operation in a nodal system as it is. So I have that listed.

For what it is worth, I don't think I've ever depleted the sorium in a gas giant. Ever.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
u right Erik,but we loose the core interesting of "gas Giant with Sorium ICONS" on galactic layer..

isnt the problem the gas giant depleting ornot:)..are a another matter.

with dozens of thousands of possible star systems,the Fleet operations become more deep and deep on space,agree?
Ok..before u build up an entire FLEET (NOT a simple Task group,part of them BUT an FLEET) an Admiral NEED a some crucial logistical strategical information.
before u going on void,hostile space with a Trillions Credit Squadroon,and arent only a money trouble,but TIME,resourcesmok? ok..before u going into space U NEED know where,when and how much u can RESUPPLY ur damned Fleets:)

open Strategical Galactic map and..FIND this damned SORIUM resource where at..not only with a label..BUT with a IMMEDIATE icon reknow around.
So..i can prepare better my Fleet,Cruiser Scquadroon,Assault Squadroon,Carrier Squadroon,Logistical,support,Electronics and Countermeasure Squadroon and so on..

BUT I need to know where r damned SORIUM for refuel my invaluable Fleet:)
Simple.or where we can setup an Siege around Gas giant in a strategical (for us and for enemy) Star System.
Understand?:)))

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Fleet or Squadroon ICON
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:26 PM »
hi STEVE.
u have play at Spinwarrd March Campaign (Megatrav's Imperium Vs Zhodani boardgame?)
Am afascinating to Fleet and Squadroon scheets...

possible have on Galactic map an same situation? sort of icon's Fleet or Squadroon?

AH another stupid enhancement: CHANGE the Orrorific terms: TASK GROUP and TASK FORCE..pls..:)..FLEET and SQUADROONS are very MORE role playing ambientation:)))))

Ty very much:)..

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »
Not in the short term but both may be possible in future versions.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2009, 05:28:25 AM »

best regarde.

I could put icons on the system map for any gas giants with Sorium but I am not sure how useful it would be. Many gas giants have Sorium but not at high accessibility and you can't access it anyway unless you have fuel harvesters. You can quickly locate suitable gas giants on the Mineral Survey Report window (sixth button from the right on the system map - the icon is a chart in front of a planet). Perhaps a better option might be showing operating fuel harvesters on the galactic map?

Steve

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Debris - Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
Suggestion:  When a ship etc. is destroyed in deep space, in addition to life pods, create some debris.  Perhaps they evaporate (disperse) over time.  It could just float there or be given a small constant velocity, or even slowly be pulled towards the sun.  Maybe allow a freighter or mining ship to recover some mineral content if they intercept debris.  I guess you could just put some floating minerals there to represent the debris to simplify things.  It would be interesting to come across evidence of ancient battles (assuming you don't go with debris evaporating).  If there was a major battle there might be enough debris for reinforcements to rush there to try to recover the debris first.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
Re: Debris - Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
Suggestion:  When a ship etc. is destroyed in deep space, in addition to life pods, create some debris.  Perhaps they evaporate (disperse) over time.  It could just float there or be given a small constant velocity, or even slowly be pulled towards the sun.  Maybe allow a freighter or mining ship to recover some mineral content if they intercept debris.  I guess you could just put some floating minerals there to represent the debris to simplify things.  It would be interesting to come across evidence of ancient battles (assuming you don't go with debris evaporating).  If there was a major battle there might be enough debris for reinforcements to rush there to try to recover the debris first.

Wrecks should be created when a ship is destroyed. Those can be reclaimed with a ship with a salvage module.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Strip mines Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »
Suggestion:  Strip mine installation.  Same cost to build but double the output of a regular mine or automated mine but consumes 4x the mineral potential (I.e. half is wasted).  I know this isn't really how strip mines work but I was looking for a way to quickly increase mining output in an emergency but at a significant cost so it didn't just become the norm.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Debris - Re: Suggestions for 3.3
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
When a ship is destroyed, it will leave behind a wreck and a life pod. The wreck can be detected by active senors and salvaged by a ship with a salvage module. Wrecks contain minerals and salvaging an alien wreck can also potentially give you technology. Life pods will contain a portion of the crew (a larger portion if you abandon ship instead of it being destroyed) and may contain the commander of the ship as well. They are detected by everyone in the system and last 14 days. If you rescue your own lifepods, you can drop the survivors off at a colony and they will be added to your crewman pool. Any rescued commanders will be placed on the rescuing ship. if you rescue the life pods of alien ships, you can interrogate the crew and any commander and will gain espionage points (not sure if that last part was added for v3.2 or is only in v4.0).

Steve